Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Bad_Boy

god of war.
Veteran
..because the other thread got locked. Please guys, can we keep this one clean?

Alright, then. :)

I figured I would just post a bunch of information and maybe media as screens/video start to emerge.

Heres Bryan Intihar's (of EGM) blog on some R&CF info.
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7936612&publicUserId=5443146
The game engine: This is all tech that developer Insomniac created themselves (which they adapted/refined from working on Resistance). So the folks who thought this was an engine that Insomniac borrowed from Naughty Dog (of Jak fame)--you're dead wrong.

The frame rate: In the demo we saw, the game ran at 45 frames per second (most next-gen games are still only doing 30), but Insomniac is shooting for the super-smooth 60. I suspect they'll make it since the game isn't due until this fall (the fact that Tools of Destruction is already running at 45 is pretty damn impressive).

The space combat: I mentioned this a bit in our cover story, but I really didn't go into much detail. Tools of Destruction will see the return of space combat, which to me felt very much like a Star Fox level. You're on rails, yet the backdrops were pretty damn amazing, as one section had Ratchet navigating through this enormous asteroid field (think Star Wars Episode II) while dodging enemy fire. I suspect you'll encounter this type of gameplay whenever you travel from planet to planet.

Ratchet's love interest: Well, maybe he has one. See, along the way Ratchet and Clank team up with a female lombax named Talwyn who's searching for her papa.

The environments: The screenshots in our cover story were all taken from the Kerchu City level (and just to reiterate--yes, the game really does look as good as those screenshots). But we also got to check out some other interesting backdrops, including:
hit the link for some pretty cool artwork.

Insomniac's Full Moon Podcast where they will frequently talk about updates on the game they are making:
http://www.insomniacgames.com/podcast/podcast.php

Some more info taken from EGM (via neogaf):
- 2x larger worlds than the PS2 games
- Can handle 15 enemies onscreen now (PS2 versions topped out at 10), maybe more with optimization
- Tornado launcher weapon launches tornadoes whose path can be controlled with sixaxis tilt while you can still move Ratchet with left analog. Not discussed in the article, but can you imagine how this weapon might evolve if they bring back the weapon leveling system from the later games?
- On that note there is absolutely no mention of RPG elements in this game, nor indication of leaving them out either
- Said they were returning to the gameplay balance of the earlier games, 60/40ish action shooting vs. platforming
- There will be spaceship battles, and they will return to the arcade style of the first game, rather than the wannabe Colony Wars/Wing Commander sequences of Going Commando.
- Rail gliding levels will be back for the first time since Going Commando. The article doesn't say if the rail gliding or spaceship sections will use motion control, although it would be nice.
- Competitive online multiplayer is in the air and may not be included. Online co-op is more likely, but not 100% confirmed.
- Captain Quark will return, and will be the only returning supporting character.

If you want to see the screens, you can download the new EGM for free here:
http://www.zinio.com/delivery?issn=1058-918Xd&of=PI1&bd=1&rf=eb_2005
but please don't post pictures of it, I'm sure on the rules against that. But the magazine is completely free for download there.

edit (march11th):

Screens (non scans) have shown up, although pretty small.

2ibc6rq.jpg

1173625655877.jpg

1173625737719.jpg

edit (march 16):

Official trailer:
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/10000

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. I've always enjoyed the Jak and Dakster series.

This is about Ratchet & Clank, not Jak & Daxter! :)

I guess Insomniac weren't kidding when they said they were able to run 2 projects concurrently. Being a doom & gloom type and based on absolutely nothing concrete I'd expected R&C in 2008.

so let me ask you , whats wrong with 45FPS ?
isnt it the good of both worlds? less demanding then 60fps, but smoother then 30fps?
or you cant work in those numbers like that?

isnt it the good of both worlds? less demanding then 60fps, but smoother then 30fps?

It's not really a broadcastable framerate. Most TV's sync to 60Hz, so when you've got content not running at integer fractions (i.e. not running at 60,30,15,12,10fps) it will result in screen tearing. Or, if the game itself vsyncs before it outputs frames, it'll drop to 30fps. I suppose you could make your game engine 'telecine' the 45fps footage, by inserting duplicate or intermediate frames, but I'm not sure what kind of judder that would create.

The problem is that if you vsync 45fps, it will look like 30fps. And if you dont vsync it, it wont be a stable framerate, and 45fps is still not as smooth as 60fps

no, but smoother then 30 no? I guess as Mmmkay allready explained, it isnt as simple as just pulling a fpsnumber out of your engine

I'm sure we will get proper screens and video soon. The newest EGM hasnt even officially been released to retail yet, and AFAIK they have the exclusive on the first media. So I would expect more stuff to arrive within the next week.

At first glance, I thought the first screen was from the PS2 version, but after close examination, I saw massive improvements in the details. Looks really good.

I don't see why isn't it running at 60 fps already. Judging by the media released so far, it doesn't seem to be graphically demanding.

Back