SEGA confirms Lindbergh board is NOT based on Xbox360 or PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60108

HOTD4 rumours quashed
19/07/2005 12:31

SEGA has gone on record to deny rumours that the Lindbergh arcade board - as used in the new House of the Dead 4 arcade game - is built around Xbox 360 hardware.

A representative confirmed to Eurogamer that the HOTD4 demo on show at E3 was running on a Lindbergh board, but added: "Lindbergh is not based on next-generation consoles."

And there are no current plans to develop an Xbox 360 version of the game, either: "While SEGA has announced a new arcade version of House of the Dead, the company cannot confirm a next-gen console version at this time," the representative told us.

Rumours have also been flying about regarding Virtua Fighter 5, but SEGA told us the same rules apply - there are no plans to bring the franchise to 360 at present. So there you have it.

we've known with absolute certainty that House Of The Dead 4 is on Lindbergh for a few weeks now, and now we know for sure that Lindbergh is not based on Xbox 360, PS3 or any nextgen console.

the Virtua Fighter demo at E3 probably was on Lindbergh also. even though Sega has not confirmed that specifically but we do know that Virtua Fighter and HOTD4 are currently not Xbox 360 games.

the only confirmed 360 game from that Sega theather demo was Chrome Hounds and that was pre-rendered, not realtime.

I still have hope that AfterBurner and Sonic will be out on 360 in 2006.

just a guess:

Aurora = Renasas highend MBX chipset - Sega's lowend board
(basicly confirmed)

Lindbergh = older PowerVR Series5 ? Sega's midrange board
System SP = newer Series5 based PowerVR Eurasia ? Sega's highend board

these new arcade boards would see SEGA through the rest of the decade concidering that it would take until late 2006 or early 2007 for all three boards to be deployed in all 3 major territories.

tsp gatmog said:
So now we can finally put the Virtua Fighter 5 360 rumor to rest (for now)

eh i'm sure all these games will be out on the xbox 360 and then the ps3 (just by virtue of the fact that the x360 will be out first )

Sega Sammy wouldn't announce plans to convert arcade Lindbergh content to console so early, so any Afterburner, Sonic, The House of the Dead 4, and Virtua Fighter conversions from PowerVR won't be official subject for a while.

System SP probably isn't at all related to these new boards.

I disagree . Esp here in the usa they gain nothing by holding off the release of these games on the home systems . The arcade market here is barely alive

jvd said:
eh i'm sure all these games will be out on the xbox 360 and then the ps3 (just by virtue of the fact that the x360 will be out first )
I highly doubt any of their arcade conversions will be ready for release before the PS3 launches, so I'm betting we'll either see PS3 exclusive releases, or same day multiplatform launches (more likely). All I know for certain, is that now that Sammy is pretty much calling the shots for Sega's dev teams, X360 exclusivity is completely out of the question after the amount of money Sega lost betting on the Xbox so heavily at the start of this gen.

I highly doubt any of their arcade games will be ready for release before the PS3 launches,
Mabye mabye not

so I'm betting we'll either see PS3 exclusive releases, or same day multiplatform launches (more likely
Development on the x360 would most likely have started first as the dev kits have been out longer . The x360 will also be released in the 3 major markets for at least 6 months before the ps3 launches in at least one teritory .

X360 exclusivity is completely out of the question after the amount of money Sega lost betting on the Xbox so heavily at the start of this gen.
No one is saying x360 exclusivity . I just think the games will hit first on the x360 and then on the ps3 . Not all of them but on most of them .

Aside from that the xbox deal wasn't a huge loss , they got alot of pack in deals which did make them money .

SEGA's losses on PS2 were just as notable according to investor financial record. Their multi-game Xbox publishing deal carried high incentives which helped to offset the poor sales on Microsoft's platform.

Sammy does not want Sega to focus on PS3. SEGA had already announced -- and Sammy's vision was similar -- that the company's primary focus would be on the only market where they've succeeded in making money, the amusement sector. They wouldn't undermine that with console conversions too early.

I agree. Sega seems to be focused on Japan lately since It's the only place arcades are still strong.

Though I'd guess that only the more popular arcade titles will end up seeing console ports.

I don´t think Sega cares wether X360 is available first or not. In fact, I don´t think many japanese companies care about it being first. They generally want to be able to publish their games in Japan, and MS´s presense there is pathetic, and will most likely continue to be that way.

So, unless something miraculous happens, VF5 will come to PS3 and probably nothing else.

What a SEGA executive said about the next-generation development is, they cater to Western audience with Western-developed contents, and cater to Japanese audience with Japanese-developed contents. This way they maximize profit. If Xbox 360 sells well in Japan, then SEGA will release VF5 on it. If not, then won't. Incentive doesn't always help a company enough, as you can see in Nintendo, Resident Evil 4 and Capcom.

Right, Sega Sammy don't automatically target the PS3 just because they have a headquarters in Japan, especially since their games don't sell any better over there overall. If they give Virtua Fighter 5 exclusivity to a platform in this coming generation, it'll be on the condition of an adequate payout like Sony contracted with Virtua Fighter 4 for PS2.

except vf is big in the usa too .

I don't see why sega will pass up putting a fighting game on a platform that will be lacking in fighting games esp early in its life . Esp in the usa where vf in the arcades wont do well as the arcade market is poor here

Lazy8s said:
Sega Sammy wouldn't announce plans to convert arcade Lindbergh content to console so early, so any Afterburner, Sonic, The House of the Dead 4, and Virtua Fighter conversions from PowerVR won't be official subject for a while.

System SP probably isn't at all related to these new boards.

Since when is Sonic an arcade property? Well, besides Sega Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Fighters, niether of which was very good.

SEGA's losses on PS2 were just as notable according to investor financial record. Their multi-game Xbox publishing deal carried high incentives which helped to offset the poor sales on Microsoft's platform.

Well, at least Virtua Fighter 4 sold well...
Strangely, I think their best selling titles last gen were on the Gamecube, Sonic and Super Monkey Ball. Sure, the sports games sold bad on gamecube, as did a few crap games/ports, but ps2 and xbox had their share of bombs...Sega, your games will sell if they're original and actually good(even though Sonic wasn't original or great it was at least fun, though its success is largely owed to the fact that sonic is like sega's only recognizable property)

I don't see why sega will pass up putting a fighting game on a platform that will be lacking in fighting games esp early in its life . Esp in the usa where vf in the arcades wont do well as the arcade market is poor here

Same logic applied last gen and they still didn't put VF4(or its rerelease) on Xbox.

jvd said:
except vf is big in the usa too .

The sales of VF4 for PS2 were around the same in JP and US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back