Tomb Raider exclusivity fallout thread *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought i'd be able to play Rise Of Tomb on PS4 because i spent 60 bucks new on PS3 Tomb Raider, and then another full price buy on PS4 definitive edition just months ago. To say this kind of exclusive is unappealing would be an understatement.

Expecting people to be unemotional about videogames is reasonable.

If people were unemotional about video games why would they play them at all? It's not like most of us can earn money from playing or expect to extend our lifespan with a round of CoD.

And as Shifty pointed out, sports are also games. Is it reasonable to expect people to be unemotional about sports too?

As I said in the other thread Splinter Cell Conviction comes to mind, also recently Bayonetta 2.
Bayonetta 2 can't count because it's only a single sequel! You can't have precedent from a single game. Bayonetta fans may have wanted it on other platforms but it was never a shoe-in.

There's also Monster Hunter, although that's gone where the install base is and hasn't been bought off.

Oh but there was, sir! There was an internet to inform people like me, and we were "as salty as fuck". :LOL:
The vast moajority of present internet user complaining that eastmen is claiming hypocrisy from weren't. It's not like thousands of people were all okay with TR dropping from Saturn but those very same people are now up in arms. Chances are the people up in arms now would have been equally up in arms back then if they happened to own a Saturn and be looking forwards to a sequel, but they probably didn't. Saturn was just small-fry, and quite possibly got dropped as a platform anyway. That'd be my first guess seeing as TR2 also came to PC.

We know companies buy exclusives. What's much rare is cross-platform titles with a history of being available suddenly becoming locked to a brand. Have there been many of these before?

I think Halo was one of the bigger ones. I remember before it was an Xbox exclusive and there were quite a lot of PS2 owners excited about it. And PC gamers of course. Then the exclusivity deal came and it went to Xbox with no PS2 or PC version.

The only other big one I remember is when Capcom decided to take Resident Evil, a multi million selling franchise, to the GameCube...

Atleast with RE, it was only the REmake and RE0, RE4 ended up on every platform known to man. I expect it to show up on PS4 and Xbone before too long

Expecting people to be unemotional about videogames is reasonable.

Sure, If you're a robot and not a human.
You don't decide what people can or cannot be emotional about. People get emotional over what they care about, be it money, ability to feed their kids, love, pets, their favorite plants, their favorite games, favorite piece of clothing, etc.

And you seriously think that no-one has a right to be upset by this? If Sony paid Rockstar to make GTA6 exclusive to the PS4 would XBO gamers be unjustified in being upset over it?

IMO, this is either not true or you're really not strong on human behaviour or interaction.

If people were unemotional about video games why would they play them at all? It's not like most of us can earn money from playing or expect to extend our lifespan with a round of CoD.

And as Shifty pointed out, sports are also games. Is it reasonable to expect people to be unemotional about sports too?

Games are fun, entertaining. Yes, that is an emotional response. My expectation (obviously proven wrong on a daily basis) is that adults will not go on the Internet and hurl insults about not being able to play a single videogame, out of all the videogames they could play. My expectation is that adults behave like adults. They should be reasonable and not act like entitled children. Clear enough?

The only other big one I remember is when Capcom decided to take Resident Evil, a multi million selling franchise, to the GameCube...

Capcom have flip-flopped on the Dead Rising franchise as well. DR was XBOX 360, DR2 was all platforms, DR3 XBOne only.

if only xbox one have more game that i like. it will be easier for me to buy it then borrow PS4 from friend. The same condition i live with Xbox 360 (i have it) and PS3 (i borrow it when awesome game released).

But now, both platform have so little amount of exclusive that i really want to play.

so... exclusive do makes me want to buy console but i hate exclusive. especially for a game that was multiplatform then suddenly go to xclusive like TR

Sure, If you're a robot and not a human.
You don't decide what people can or cannot be emotional about. People get emotional over what they care about, be it money, ability to feed their kids, love, pets, their favorite plants, their favorite games, favorite piece of clothing, etc.

IMO, this is either not true or you're really not strong on human behaviour or interaction.

Thanks for the psychology lessons, guys.

I can't believe you compared people's love for their pets and children to their emotional attachment to video games.

The next TR going XB1 exclusive sucks for me because as a PC and PS4 owner I won't get to play it unless I buy an XB1, which I don't intend to do anytime soon.

I agree with the sentiment that plain old bought out exclusives are worthless, since they aren't doing anything exclusively with the XB hw or kinect that warrants it excluding other platforms. It's simply a case of MS coming in and literally paying to keep the game off the PS4.

It's sneaky, but I understand being in their position why they did it. They need exclusives to flog their box, and their in house studios aren't delivering the goods.

TR as a franchise however is a low hanging fruit imho. So at least I'm glad they are buying exclusivity of games like that, and not games i would REALLY care a lot about, like mass effect or GTA. I do hope for SE's sake though that the sales on XB1 for this game do end up being high enough to justify a multiplatform sequel; otherwise a bomba on XB1 I fear would kill the franchise

I'm wondering what Sony will have to announce, seems like MS is trying to preempt them with tidbits of news today.

MSs presser isn't until tomorrow.

"Get our news out now, it might stop people talking about them"

Bayonetta 2 can't count because it's only a single sequel! You can't have precedent from a single game. Bayonetta fans may have wanted it on other platforms but it was never a shoe-in.

I though you just wanted to know which games where originally multi but then become exclusives.

I don't feel entitled to anything.
Then you possess an anomalous psychology. Typically people form a sense of the future based on past patterns. With two decades of TR games on multiplatforms, the expectation would be that it comes to multiple platforms in it's next version.

If I pay for a previous iteration of a game, nothing else is owed to me. Nothing. I paid for that game, and that's what I got. If I can't play the sequel, too bad.
Perfectly fine response, but most people aren't wired that way.

Also, anti-competitive laws? You've got to be kidding me. Is buying a game studio anti-competitive? Is poaching talent anti-competitive? Is exclusive DLC anti-competitive?
No, because those aren't preventing people from accessing content that was previously available to everyone. We don't live in a free-market society. We live in a controlled market economy, and anticompetitive laws get wielded when it's deemed the free-market isn't in people's best interests. I'm not saying anticompetitive laws would rule for or against MS, but I can see reason for such a charges to be levied if major cross-platform titles started to be tied to one platform.

All I can say about this is cry me a river. Get back to me when you have something important to complain about.
Erm, I'm not complaining about anything. I don't play TR and I don't own a next-gen console. I'm not at all emotional about this story. I've been trying to describe to you how other people are responding to this and why it's justified and natural, even if one doesn't agree or relate to them. For people who don't see it as different to conventional exclusives, it is, which is why the public's response is different.

I also have no sympathy for people who jump the gun and get upset about things before the details are made clear. There's a good chance this is a short timed exclusive.
Yeah, that's something emotional responses tend to do, and it is better to wait. However, the facts as presented, the information upon which people are basing their responses, is that this game is never coming to any other platform. That information may be false, but if MS/SE are lying about that, the public can't be held responsible for responding to the information actually being presented to them.

Also, I have no sympathy for early adopters. If you buy a console before any games are out, you're sure to miss out on things. A smart buyer waits to find out where to play the games they really want.
But there was two decades of evidence that PlayStation and PC would get the TR games. There's nothing stupid in that expectation. You can be sure every FIFA and COD fan bought whatever console they bought expecting those games, and wouldn't wait and see just in case those games weren't coming to their platform. There's no sane reason to doubt those games are coming to every platform.

No, because those aren't preventing people from accessing content that was previously available to everyone. We don't live in a free-market society. We live in a controlled market economy, and anticompetitive laws get wielded when it's deemed the free-market isn't in people's best interests. I'm not saying anticompetitive laws would rule for or against MS, but I can see reason for such a charges to be levied if major cross-platform titles started to be tied to one platform.

But there was two decades of evidence that PlayStation and PC would get the TR games. There's nothing stupid in that expectation. You can be sure every FIFA and COD fan bought whatever console they bought expecting those games, and wouldn't wait and see just in case those games weren't coming to their platform. There's no sane reason to doubt those games are coming to every platform.

This is where the two of us disagree. If you buy a game, that's the game that you get to play. There is no reasonable expectation that you are entitled to play the next one. You pay for games individually. A sequel is not an extension of the last game, as a product. It is not more content for the same title. When you say, "No, because those aren't preventing people from accessing content that was previously available to everyone," I can't see how it applies. The new Tomb Raider game is not out yet. It's not available to anyone right now. If you have the wrong platform at release, you are not losing anything. People might expect it to be multiplatform, and I think that's reasonable. If you'd asked me yesterday I would have been 99.999% sure that it would be. But that's just how it goes, I guess.

Well, from what it sounds, is that the Microsoft could be the publisher of the game. Makes me wonder if SquareEnix sold this game to them?

There are also indications that it's only exclusive to the Xbox One for the holiday 2015 season. This to me implies that the game might come to PC a bit later, but if Microsoft is really the publisher, it seems there will definately be no PS4 version.

Perhaps as with those games this will just be a timed exclusive with regards to the PC.
There are rumors the PC will get the complete Halo collection as well, so after Ryse and DR3 , I guess the new Tomb Raider will find it's way to PCs eventually, Square Enix will also have strong incentives from AMD to do so.

Well, from what it sounds, is that the Microsoft could be the publisher of the game. Makes me wonder if SquareEnix sold this game to them?

There are also indications that it's only exclusive to the Xbox One for the holiday 2015 season. This to me implies that the game might come to PC a bit later, but if Microsoft is really the publisher, it seems there will definately be no PS4 version.

I'll just quote myself; the publishing bit was in error (on the official Xbox website): https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/499200247416242176

The game is being published by SquareEnix.

I can't believe you compared people's love for their pets and children to their emotional attachment to video games.

I don't mean any disrespect, but if this is all you can gather from my post, then it makes sense why you seem so clueless on human behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back