The PSVR launch thread

So far with all demos I tried, the head tracking is absolutely rock solid and essentially flawless.

I followed the instructions, all the steps of calibration, no powerful spotlights in the field of view except for my projector, and I placed the camera at the correct distance (all of this is important, please don't be a GiantDumb).

Don't forget to set the IPD correctly, it must be set for each users. Bad IPD (too wide) can cause a severe headache. I think too narrow is forgiving but it makes everything look tiny, and therefore boring.

My biggest surprise was Thumper, it's an awesome experience despite the simplistic game itself. Battlezone is also fun so far, and it's my big test for comfort, I didn't get any nausea from the constant strafing which I was afraid of. I didn't play enough of Eve and Driveclub to be able to tell yet, those are supposed to be problematic for some people.

Can you set the IPD manually by a value? I have mine from my glasses prescxription and the calibration wizard always puts it about 3 mm too much. I don't know if that amount really affects anything as I've found the 3D to be quite satisfactory.
Played some Job Simulator. It looks nice and is fun to play. The simple graphics really hide the low resolution. MOve tracking is good here too, of course it breaks when they are obscured from view by my body or my coffee table, but that doesn't bother that much as you know the cause and learn to avoi it.

...or is it more the case of avoiding the lenses being exposed to direct sunbeams for more than a brief moment?

I have no concrete data on this, but judging by how few reports there have been of this happening with Oculus and Vive hardware I would guess that it's been from direct sunlight and while it was left unattended some length of time. I wouldn't be too paranoid about it, it's just something to be mindful of as it's not inherently obvious how light may be focusing on the inside of the HMD.

Can you set the IPD manually by a value? I have mine from my glasses prescxription and the calibration wizard always puts it about 3 mm too much. I don't know if that amount really affects anything as I've found the 3D to be quite satisfactory.
Played some Job Simulator. It looks nice and is fun to play. The simple graphics really hide the low resolution. MOve tracking is good here too, of course it breaks when they are obscured from view by my body or my coffee table, but that doesn't bother that much as you know the cause and learn to avoi it.
I don't remember being able to directly enter a number, but if you know it's off, just do the calibration again and move the targets manually to make it wider/narrower?

Yes, did that, but if there's more people using the same PS4 and PSVR, changing the IPD for each is just not very convenient.
Btw, that oily substance that I was wondering before... it seems it's from my own face. I need to put the lenses as close to my face as possible, and my brows sometimes just touch the lenses.
And Rez, oh how I've missed you all these years :love:you really are just pure gaming heaven in PSVR :cool:
You're more difficult now that you are in VR I think, or my skills are just rusty... dulled by the angry birds and clashes of clans while you were gone, but I'll learn to master you as I did then. My Love.

Last edited:
Each IPD is stored for each user, you create a local account for each individual so all settings follow.

It's a remake with one new area, haven't yet got so far as to unlock it.
I don't mind it's the original as it feels very fresh in VR.

I'm constantly more in awe of the PSVR the more I play. The Playroom platforming game is genius, ther must be a R&C VR game in the works, it would work so well with similar style.
Sorry for off topic, but also makes me think if Nintendo were to make a Mario game in VR, it would be much like that. Maybe the Nintendo NX will be (also) a VR gaming machine, actually the more I think of it I'm almost sure it will also have a VR accessory where you can put the screen, and play with the detached contollers. The base unit would do teh rendering, just as the WiiU and Wiipad.

Last edited:
The power hungry chip in the processor box is a generic Marvel Armada SoC.
http://www.marvell.com/multimedia-s...-ARMADA-1500-Pro4K-Product-Brief-20160727.pdf

There's quite a large heatsink inside too.

The datasheet says up to 12 000 DMIPS on a quad Cortex A9.
According to wikipedia's info (which probably came from ARM's old webpage), each Cortex A9 does 2.5 DMIPS/MHz, so 12 000 / (2.5*4) = 1.2GHz.

It's a full SoC:
- Quad Cortex A9 at 1.2 GHz
- 8*vec4 + 32*vec1 Vivante GPU that is rated at 1GHz (64 GFLOPs) and has full OpenCL 1.2 compliance
- Audio DSP - I wonder if the whole downmix to stereo isn't done through this.
- H264 + HEVC codec, capable of 4K60 (not HDR though, which explains why it's missing in the pass-through)

Put together with 1GB DDR3 1600MHz at 64bit, so 12.8GB/s bandwidth and 4GB of eMMC.

This thing is too powerful and versatile for it to be doing just video distortion + pass-through + binaural audio downmix.

One has to factor in that Sony's own specification for VR (refresh rates, reprojection tech, resolutions, forms of social support, etc) would likely have been changing all throughout the period of time where they would have had to source and lock down the components being used for that box, so it's not hard to imagine that it could be overbuilt and versatile in ways uncharacteristic of a typical console peripheral. Both the Rift and Vive (particularly so) feel similarly built to be programmable and expand beyond the scope of how they first launched.

Last edited:
That Alumette movie is really well done. My wife really loved it too.

EDIT: so mind you it is not a movie, but more like a stop motion animation done in Unity. You can really look under and into things by leaning over etc, and it's a very special experience.

By the way it was interesting to see that the breakout box itself got a firmware update to 2.0 (from 1.5). Also, my Sony TV got a firmware update today, and I'm almost curious to see if that did anything for the CEC detection that was slightly confused now with the PSVR in between the PS4 and the TV and the Receiver.

Overall though - man, VR is a thing and I can't possibly ever believe it going away again.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Wayward Sky and Bound also sound amazing. https://uploadvr.com/bound-vr-review-psvr/

By the way, SportsBar VR is very interesting. It shows me some things (PSVR really can't track the Move controller right now when you hold it before your headset in this game. Interestingly, that does not seem a problem at all in the shooting range in VR Worlds .. ) that are very promising in terms of UI design.

For instance, Hustle Kings VR looks fantastic, but the UI for actually playing the game is a bit weak. But in SportsBar VR, they have this thing called HULK mode. Instead of that I walk back or forward, I can pretend that I am just grabbing the whole Pool table and push it away and turn it any way I like to line up my shots. It also gives me the option to aim my cue using two Move controllers, which works well after a little practice (you do have to care about where you aim your cue on the ball for instance). It still takes the aiming, choosing spin and actually shooting into three different steps, but each step is much closer to how you would play in real life.

The air hockey game has a bit low refresh rate on the puck, but having the table in front of you like this is awesome. The fun you can have with beer bottles is also amusing. This is certainly a fun one for just hanging out in.

But right now, the Darts game is almost impossible to play. I have to learn throwing from the side of my head ...

Last edited:
Yeah but that's just a movie. It's decent and fun, but actually almost seemed better on my phone. Allumette is 3D rendered and you are free to look into and under stuff which is very nice.

PlayStation VR's media support has ... room for improvement. But that the whole UI, blurays, Netflix and every game can at least be played on the headset make up for it some.

Got my Psvr!

Controller tracking is superb most of the time!

But the headset keeps drifting the the left in London heist.

In alumete, the headset keeps moving back and forth by itself.

Hopefully sony put comprehensive diagnostic running all the time. So they can add STABILITY UPDATE

Back