Reverend at The Pulpit #9

Reverend

Banned
As usual, each paragraph can go onto an entirely different topic from the preceding one for no particular reason.

The 3D industry is buzzing with excitement, in anticipation of the next-generation offerings from the two Big Ones. I'm a little surprised that I know the specs of the next ATI part (not on an official basis but it's from "the horse's mouth" -- so to speak -- nonetheless, so it's 100% reliable... and I don't know what Dave knows) and nothing of NVIDIA's -- I guess my regular (and trustworthy) NVIDIA "mole" just isn't a mole anymore on this one! The bits that I do know about the NV40 suggests (no, confirms) that it surpasses the R420 on paper... but we all know that really tells us nothing, given what we know of the history of NV30 and R300. As much as I am excited about the NV40, I find it hard to be enthusiastic, and I'm sure this is understandable to many. IMO, I think NVIDIA is banking on the NV40 like they have never banked on any past chips, and understandably so.

No, I don't know the deal with ATI/Half Life 2 and NVIDIA/Doom3 and I don't particularly care... because I'm a smart and intelligent guy that is both patient as well as having a huge amount of common sense when it comes to spending money (and, I might add on a very related note, slightly jaded by this industry, both in terms of hardware as well as gaming) :)

Epic's "next generation" WIP UnrealEngine3 (read this and this) does appear to be demanding of the currently available cards simply based on what has been published as well as what (little -- shadow algorithms are important but until we have a very satisfactory solution, from either a hardware or software solution, it is something we should just "live with" instead of attempting to "push the envelope"... from a software developer's perspective, that is) I know from corresponding with Tim Sweeney. But Tim has made it very clear that this particular engine isn't about how games will look, and perform, on a NV35 or a R350 but what he anticipates will be satisfactory in terms of performance a year+ down the road. He (and to the studious few among us) has seen the progress of advancement from the IHVs, not only in terms of features but also in terms of technologies like fabrication processes, CPU, memory, chipsets, consoles, etc. etc. (and to a small extent, prices of hardware and consumer spending/upgrading trends) and with as big a responsibility as he has at Epic (making engines that powers in-house Epic-developed games, as well as licensees on both the PC and console fronts), I think what he is doing (and envisioning) with UnrealEngine3 is as forward-looking -- and wager-heavy -- as anything I have seen thus far in the gaming industry. To draw a somewhat similar parallel, this is akin to NVIDIA banking on the NV40 in terms of product-importance. The UnrealEngine (and all its sequels) is a product, not a game, however weird that may come out sounding. At time of posting this, I have asked Tim if Beyond3D can be given a copy of what Epic will be previewing wrt UnrealEngine3... just for us B3D staff (with the exception of Kristof, being a IHV employee and all) to play with. Red-tapes withstanding, let's hope Tim comes through for us.

On a related note, I have been offered the chance to preview the technology that will be powering the next "true" sequel to Splinter Cell (not Pandora Tomorrow) at the upcoming E3. This is a closed-door demonstration and since I (nor any B3D staff) will be able to attend E3 this year, I asked the game's Lead Programmer if Beyond3D can be given a copy of the E3 demo and he agreed. From what this lead programmer described to me, this appears to be an exciting game in terms of 3D technologies used and seeing that the original game is such a smash hit on the PC (as well as the console, which is a different story insofar as 3D technology is concerned when it comes to this true sequel I'm talking about), our reaction is understandable positive.

Oh, and I asked John Carmack if he can give us some benchmarks of Doom3 using the latest available video cards and he said "Go ATI!!". Hehe. You and I know he never says things like that (I mean, if he's drunk, he doesn't say "God, I'm drunk"... he says "I seem to have lost the capacity to have full control of my senses and limbs..."). He didn't reply, sadly.

Have I ever said that I am more interested in technologies used in upcoming games instead of new technologies (rumored) to be introduced in upcoming 3D chips? I wonder if this is wrong as far as my involvement in this site is concerned! O)

Having just recently bought a PlayStation2, I have to admit that I have spent more time playing games on it than on my PC. It's that "new gadget geek syndrome", y'know. I haven't splurged on PS2 games so far, just limiting myself to games targetted for my 5-year-old kid (Peter Pan! Finding Nemo! Metal Slug series!!!! Tarzan!) although I did buy a few games for myself to experiment with like NFS:U, 007:Everything or Nothing, SOCOM2, FIFA Soccer 2004, Winning Eleven 7 and, yes, MGS2:Substance and I have to say that nothing really beats the KB+Mouse for the action/shooting games mentioned. The footie games work well on the PS2 but, as is usual for any console-newbie, it's a matter of how fast you learn to striggle with the controller. I will be looking for an EyeToy for the kid (it's kinda hard to find in Malaysia... I think... I haven't actually tried looking for it, hehe) since they say kids will have a helluva time with it. If my experience with PS2 games are good, I anticipate the unwelcomed urge to keep buying more and more memory cards.

There is a current feeling that I am losing my enthusiasm to be either/both involved in this site as well as in this industry. Perhaps it's a matter of just being jaded (it happens to me from time to time) or it could be that I am getting a little bored with having much less to do (and hence feel much less responsible) at B3D compared to the time when I headed this site. This site, IMO, is here and growing ever more in terms of "say", solely (and not largely, but solely) because of Dave. To be the only press/media guy (ATM) to have official knowledge of an IHV's next part is impressive, to say the least. To be fair, Dave has attempted to get me "more responsible" by (recently) asking me if I would like to "handle" a certain new player in the video card scene (and of which I was hesitant, since it is known that they do, er, "call traces" on a buig number of apps/games.... Dave, have you decided?) but for most of the time he's just too darn busy. Which is a Good Thing for this site. Another factor for the less-than-perfect well-oiled-machine that B3D can be is the fact that the current official staff is just spread out across the globe and it just makes things difficult for Dave insofar as "making B3D staff feel involved" is concerned -- being in the UK, "hiring" (hey, none of us gets paid) Neeyik/Nick (who's in the UK) to write board reviews is just the sane thing to do. Anyway, I just wanted to say that my interest in this site as well as the industry is waining... and I have a feeling that this may just be better for my married-and-a-father life (things may improve in 20 years' time when all the time I have isn't solely dedicated to being a good husband-and-father, if you know what I mean).

Doesn't mean I am quitting B3D though... just "cutting back", as they say.

For one moment I thought this would be an ordinary post, but reading it through I realized it wasn't so.

Not a lot of people can commit to 3D industry the way you did it Anthony. Not to mention Beyond3D. I certainly understand the reasons behind straying away from it. Being a father and a husband definitely changes priorities and your views on certain things.

I'm hoping to still see you around B3D. Have a good one :)

Rev, I for one would love it if you concentrated on actual game tech instead of hardware tech. Seems like too much speculation is going on with hardware, where at least you can get screen shots of games in development. ;)

later,
epic
ps whatever else happens, have a good time enjoying it.

Well Rev.. just as long as you don't disappear then it should be fine :D

As for Dave and B3D . .keep up the awesome works boys(and girls if there are any :D ).

US

uhhh... my wife just called me and asked for a lunch :)

and I was reading this... I smell trouble, ok...

btw I have a four year old girl ;) aaahhh mobile...

edit:

keep up the good work, and don't push yourself too hard ;)
and Peter Pan is quite good (and so is Tarzan)... but I am playing the PC version, my daughter has my old PC, it's not a bad PC either ...

Hey Rev. Even if you cut back on time keep pushing ideas like the developer forum. Understandably it's not high traffic and developers don't post regularly, but it's a great idea.

Back