PS3: Phil Harrison addresses the real-time vs CGI issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok jvd if my memory serves me correct the part with Sony should come on in about 20 minutes. It will come on at 12:30 am est. to be exact.

I going to tell you what the guy says before he says it. He going to say "everything that you saw their is from their game engine it's all done to spec and thats whats its going to play like. Infact its going to be even cooler than that."

dude : Was it real

vp jack : its def real , we are pretty good at keeping sectrets , we want everyone to understand its game play , we were really good with getting dev kits out there

Quote:
And what about the game footage clips?

Not all of that - in fact, none of it was real-time because it was all running off video. If you make a presentation to two and a half thousand people, you're going to put some of it on video just to be on the safe side.

I've been asked this question a lot. The way we put those videos together, everything was done to specification. Everything was done to PS3 spec. Virtually everything used in-game assets; some things were rendered.

How representative of what we're actually going to be seeing in PS3 games were those videos?

I think very. I think depending on the game, different games took a different approach to their way of expressing what the games are like - but clearly, something like Motor Storm uses more cinematic, replay-like cameras than you would ever enjoy in-game. So that makes a big difference... But everything is done to spec.

Is the Killzone sequence a fair example of what people can expect from realtime gameplay on PlayStation 3?

Jan-Bart: Yeah, it's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make.

Now Phil Harrison just told Morgan Webb that the KZ footage was "all game engine or done to spec" and that "it's just scratching the surface."

Webb: "So I'll be playing that in my living room?"

Harrison: "Absolutely."

So we have two saying it was done to spec to be a representation and two saying its real

Then there is my mystery person who said the same thing which is almost at the end of the g4 show which hopefully is around 1:45 am est which is about an hour

I actually think the HS footage looks much more like something achievable in realtime (though some of the closeups look like they might be just for in game cinematics or there's some really neat LOD at work), there are plenty of hints there (though it does look amazing!). KZ on the other hand is on a totally different level, looking at the KZ and HS screenshots side by side that is easy to see. There isn't one hard poly edge in the KZ pics. The lighting/shading/shadowing are all way ahead of what we've seen in UE3. Some of the textures are insanely detailed (both bump and diffuse). No final game will look like that, no matter what they say.

This isn't a person at the end. I guess it was just wishful thinking. And Acert did you see my post after yours. I said word for word what Phil says before it comes on (again). You know what? The VP of Marketing dude just answered the question yet Adam Sessler just said "Don't leave because Morgan will talk to Phil Harrison to see if Killzone is real or not."

Thats BS. The man just 15 minutes already answered the damn question. Its just turning into media hype. I think G4 and the host don't want to admit that they just heard it so they can keep up the "is it real talk"

morgan webb + phil harrason

morgan : heavenly sword

all done to spec with the game engine

morgan : killzone this is what everyone is talking about , final answer

from what you can see in our presentation , you can see we took everyone through demos that were all in real time , it was either me or a guy behind stage doing the driving

the video at the end was video , when there is that many games its impossible to run

is it running to spec , its either running to spec or the game engine

morgan :so i'm going to get killzone in my house and i'm going to play that

absolutly

No answer on if its prerendered though and she didn't ask the most important question . Will i get killzone in my house in the same quality lvl of the video. Because obviously we are going to get killzone , what it looks like is anyones guess

So he answered the question but the question isn't what we wanted to know

PLEASE STOP IT!! You left out like about 15 seconds of what he said. Right after he said that everything shown is either in-game engine and done to spec Phil said, "Thats what the games are going to look like. Thats what they are going to play like. And its only scratching the surface. We're already discovering teams who are thinking about new ways of doing things to get more performance out of either the graphics or simulation."

You now need to stop lying to yourself and everybody here at the now calm board.

er i was typing it up . I already said from the first post it isn't perfect

He never said we will see exactly whats on screen when we get killzone at home

But i'm going to drop it and in12 months at launch i will tell you in private that I was right .

Guerilla Killzone PS3 designer, Jan-Bart Van Beek

Is the Killzone sequence a fair example of what people can expect from realtime gameplay on PlayStation 3?

Jan-Bart: Yeah, it's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make.

Who to believe the designer who says its only a representation or the president of sony ?

Jan-Bart: Yes, we're really impressed with it. The Cell is amazingly powerful, and the graphics CPU [the RSX, co-developed with Nvidia] in there... it's actually hard to mimic it on our development PCs, we have to see it on the PS3 hardware itself. It's really nice to be working with such powerful hardware.

From either of you can I get a well typed summery of BOTH interviews as follow:

1. TV show name
2. Interviewer name
3. Interviewer question verbatim
4. Sony Rep name
5. Sony rep answer verbatim

Sorry, it is REALLY hard to follow anything in this thread.

Just type it up nice, I will put it in the PR thread, and in 12mo we can revist the issue. Without ACCURATE quotes it is worthless. Although the fact is Some of the answers are vague to blunt questions... that is what PR does. But that does not matter, if I ask a straight forward question and you give a misleading answer well then we can lynch you for that ;)

Anyhow, just get me the info so we can have it on record and all correct. I would love to see KZ as good/better than what was shown, but the AA, particles, etc... are eye popping.

Off Topic: Why is no one argueing that KZ will look better, a LOT better? Usually games get BETTER after 12-18mo of development. Why are we restricting KZ to the movie trailer? KZ should surpass the trailer by a lot, right?

Thank you. Look at my edit. I actually typed every single word that you left out regarding the Killzone truth. Its even in bold. Why do think that everybody else on the thread has now (all of a sudden) stop talking? Its because they either realize that whats in the demo is real or they are waiting like you are now.

I totally like the fact that you will wait to see what it will look like. To be honest its only going to get better so. :? The debate is swinging 90% that me and others that said it was real and 10% that Sony can't backup what 2 high key people from Sony said on Live National TV in front of millions of gamers and TV host that review games on the biggest videogame channel in America

I can't wait to close this case. And jvd dont think that I'm going to remember what you said. Oh did you forget, ok let me remind you.

If sony has playable killzone by the end of the e3 event with the same quality as the clips they showed then I will admit and put it in my sig that I was wrong .

How about making the e3 event part and making it TGS?

Tv show is g4tv e3 coverage

interviewer name morgan webb

3 ) don't have it , don't have anything to record it with .

But morgan never asked if the graphics would stay the same . She asked if she will be able to play killzone at home . Not will i be able to get the quality in the clips at home

4 phil harrison

5 absoulty

There is more to it .

However i will take the developers answer that they made a representation .

if I ask a straight forward question and you give a misleading answer well then we can lynch you for that

Anyhow, just get me the info so we can have it on record and all correct

I did Acert look below.

"Thats what the games are going to look like. Thats what they are going to play like. And its only scratching the surface. We're already discovering teams who are thinking about new ways of doing things to get more performance out of either the graphics or simulation."

Why is no one argueing that KZ will look better, a LOT better? Usually games get BETTER after 12-18mo of development. Why are we restricting KZ to the movie trailer? KZ should surpass the trailer by a lot, right?

As you can see Phil himself said that the KZ demo is only scratching the surface. Then he said that they were discovering teams who are finding new ways to get better graphics.(paraphased) Just like you said development only gets better from here right Acert93?

He also said that Heavenly Sword is going to be even cooler than what we seen in the demo. So yeah expect more people to buy the PS3 than X360, because today I think I read littely 20 or more people on the internet say if Killzone is real then they will buy the PS3 for sure.

Thank you. Look at my edit. I actually typed every single word that you left out regarding the Killzone truth. Its even in bold. Why do think that everybody else on the thread has now (all of a sudden) stop talking? Its because they either realize that whats in the demo is real or they are waiting like you are now.
cause only 6 people and none of them that have posted in this thread are viewing the forum ?

totally like the fact that you will wait to see what it will look like. To be honest its only going to get better so
Hopefully the cgi artists can make the trailer better . But since the designer clearly states its a representation the game wont look better than that

How about making the e3 event part and making it TGS?
I said e3 .

With that they wont have killzone with graphics on par with the trailer for play .

The developer clearly states its a representation and I will believe the developer who is working on the game over the president who was asked

morgan :so i'm going to get killzone in my house and i'm going to play that

absolutly
Since you obviously missed it . Hopefully they will put it on the web so i can copy it word for word.

Oh I missed it huh? I wish we both had a Xbox so I could go on live to show you that I RECORD IT ON DVD.

Again this is what Phil said word for word about the KZ being real.

"Thats what the games are going to look like. Thats what they are going to play like. And its only scratching the surface. We're already discovering teams who are thinking about new ways of doing things to get more performance out of either the graphics or simulation."

And I was saying that why was everybody debating it for hours but right before the 12:00 am est show came on only a handful cared to talk about it. To me this means that either people saw the first guy and got off the board or people don't want to hear the truth.

mckmas8808 said:
I did Acert look below.

You only got his quote, not who or who asked and who asked what :?

ALSO... was there one or two interviews??????? :?

Just copy and paste what I wrote above and fill in the answers next to it, one bold paragraph does not answer all the relevant questions. In 12mo we will ask "What show" and someone will sayt "Well, he did not say exactly THIS" but then someone will say "But the quesiton was X" so all the info is relevant... I am off for the night. Adios.

type out the whole interview , each question

Well, Epic Games's Mark Rein has gone on record to say that "in addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison, the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time."
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615531p1.html

at the end of the interview he says absoulty and she says wow i have to go talk to blah blah blah and then she thanks him .

It should be on the web tonight or tommorow

LoL!!!! :LOL:

You guys are taking this too serious and its out of control....

Look if KZ turns out to be like the demo in game then...dam!!! We all benefit from some badass game! If it does'nt turn out then either its still an excellent game (you'll buy it) if not then you'll will buy another game simple as that...

Right now either people want to beleive that the KZ demo (Sony PR) will be in game or that its not: MS fanboys, Sony Haters, or Skeptics.

So what move on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back