The PSVR launch thread

- water is not allowed to be used to clean the lenses. How the heck can I clean it when it's starts to get oily?

Use water, just be super careful and don't expect anything to be water resistant. My #1 concern for the longevity of any of these HMDs is how scratch resistant the lenses are, so I make sure to never touch the lenses with dry cloths. I use a warm damp cloth with the Rift/Vive, sometimes a very mild alcohol solution if needed, but ideally I simply try to avoid the lenses getting dirty in the first place. I've only had to clean the Rift lenses once or twice since I've gotten it. The Vive more so since it's gotten a lot more traffic with greasy clumsy friends.

Use water, just be super careful and don't expect anything to be water resistant. My #1 concern for the longevity of any of these HMDs is how scratch resistant the lenses are, so I make sure to never touch the lenses with dry cloths. I use a warm damp cloth with the Rift/Vive, sometimes a very mild alcohol solution if needed, but ideally I simply try to avoid the lenses getting dirty in the first place. I've only had to clean the Rift lenses once or twice since I've gotten it. The Vive more so since it's gotten a lot more traffic with greasy clumsy friends.

Good to know. I probably should have taken this advice into account. Fack.

This thread makes me want to turn on my oculus. Lol.

If everything is going well, I'm gonna do a Psvr rental session next month. So I need to know how to properly take care of it and clean it.

Sony specifically mention to not use water tho. I wonder why

Wonder if the PSPro will improve for example Driveclub so that the resolution of distant object would not be so blurry.
Arkham really is amazing, the detail on the gadgets and the character models in batcave is just amazing and and the resolution seems quite fine in these smaller environmets.

The less you mess with the lenses, the less you risk scratching them.:runaway:

There is an AR coating on the PSVR lenses, that makes it a bit fussy. Water doesn't dissolve oils which is what dirty optics have from fingerprints and skin contact. You end up smudging it around instead.

I suppose most recommendations about cleaning eyeglases or camera lenses apply. A clean microfiber cloth is the best thing to use (one comes with psvr), and if that's not enough maybe an eyeglasses cleaning spray or camera lens cleaner, these are designed for AR coatings. I'd just put a little directly on the cloth and wipe with it.

I saw they make single-use wet wipes designed for camera lenses, but I never used them.

Don't know, but my lenses seemed to be covered wits some stuff that I couldn't get off with a dry microfiber cloth. It was as if they were somewhat oily :/ When I wiped them with the included cloth, I could see the stuff just leaving smudges that only moved around when wiped. A slightly damp cloth seemed to do the trick and I think all looks a bit clearer now.

Ocean Descent is so fucking intense. Actually thought it quite a bit more harrowing than the Kitchen demo. The way it slowly builds towards the big confrontation with the shark is handled phenomenally well. And then the bastard chews off the safety door of the safety cage. Jesus. Terrific visuals too.

PS: Amazon.fr still had a couple of PS VR headsets and I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
My wife already chickened out of the regular ocean descent - going that deep alone just scared her. And the visuals there aren't even that great imho.

I just got motion sickness for the first time, playing the VR bonus mode in Super Stardust. Pretty badly too, still feeling it after bringing my son to school. I'll really have to build that one up carefully!

By the way - the regular modes in Super Stardust VR are all there and very excellent! It's like playing on a 3D projector with a giant screen, and the game gets a bit easier than the original just because it gets much easier to see stuff in the distance and overall. My favorite mode, Endless, is really great here.

Last edited:
Arkham really is the one to demo. It has amazing graphics, the Move controllers work well enough and the environments are just a joy to explore.
You don't get motion sick with it either as movement is done by teleporting. I wish it were longer though.
Yesterday I played mostly this, VR Worlds and some EVE Valkyrie, almost nons stop 4 hours and didn't really get sick. Couldn't get a good sleep though at night after that session.
Still haven't tried REZ, Work Simulator, Tumble or the rest of the free demos.

Omg my Psvr finally start shipping!

But when I checked the tracking, they put the address WRONG by one letter

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Don't know, but my lenses seemed to be covered wits some stuff that I couldn't get off with a dry microfiber cloth. It was as if they were somewhat oily :/ When I wiped them with the included cloth, I could see the stuff just leaving smudges that only moved around when wiped. A slightly damp cloth seemed to do the trick and I think all looks a bit clearer now.

Isn't that the super thin layer of plastic that's supposedly to be removed?

There's a debate on reddit where some people says there are protective plastic and the other says there's none

I had to remove plastic protection from the lenses but they were very clearly that, with extruding flaps and all.

Yes, those I did remove, although they can be hard to miss and accidentally leave at place first time you use it.

Isn't that the super thin layer of plastic that's supposedly to be removed?

There's a debate on reddit where some people says there are protective plastic and the other says there's none
Yeah, mine didn't have any.

Finally got mine today, got both the moves too, but had to rush to work after unboxing it. I hope to join you VR enthusiasts in the evening. I guess there will be plenty of demos to keep me entartained before investing in anything.

I'm hoping that all the new folks entering into VR here know about the risks of sunlight and exposed lenses in these style HMDs? Remember they're using something akin to a 5-10x magnifier, so you have to be very careful about where you leave the hardware lying around. The worst thing about it is that you probably won't even realize it until you go to put the device on and see a damaged display. Probably would be a good idea to get into the habit of placing a cloth or dust cover over it when it's not in use, especially if it's used in a room where the sun happens to make a pass through.

Damn, that does sound like a serious issue. Now I'm concerned since I unboxed it in the living room on a table by a window. I guess I held it briefly in the sunlight, but sideways not lens-side up and only for a few seconds without removing the protection sticker yet. How big is the risk, should people avoid windows and stronger bounce sun light as well or is it more the case of avoiding the lenses being exposed to direct sunbeams for more than a brief moment? Sony should put some warning on the kit. I wonder if it's even mentioned in the booklet.

the truth about the kitchen demo is even scarier than the demo itself :LOL:

Lol actually EVE Valkyrie has exactly the same "thing".

BTW, my first impression in EVE after looking around was "WOW I HAVE GIRL BOOBS!".

Back