Sunset Overdrive: From Insomniac Games [XO]

I think it is a similar case to Mass Effect 1 (or even Bioshock)?
I believe ME1 was also published by MS. Many doubted the franchise would see the light of say on the PS3. And it did

I believe ME1 was also published by MS. Many doubted the franchise would see the light of say on the PS3. And it did

Kinda of my thinking. So it's not unprecedented. Minecraft published by MGS too, but not Bioshock. Tried looking for others but wasn't successful. Will it happen for Sunset Overdrive 1? Probably not, but I wouldn't count out sequels.

Tommy McClain

But Bioware was bought by EA, it is not the same case.

Microsoft funded Gears of War and published it, no PS3 version.

I cannot see the logic in the argument in owning the IP in this instance, they still won't be able to do anything with it as I'm pretty sure MS won't have backed it financially if there was any chance it would turn up on the competition.

It's not as if the character is anything really marketable, it's just a nondescript humanoid character.

Its like one side said yeah, keep you IP, but we are funding you and say you cannot release this on other platforms.

And the other is saying, we want the IP, we will fund you and say you cannot release it on other platforms.

What real benefit have they got for retaining the IP?

I think the real story is Sony didn't really want to back them on a new IP as they seem to have made ratchet and clank worse and worse through the last generation and their last new IP never really took off despite being a reasonable all be it by the numbers FPS, so they went with MS who would've loved the coup of having former "Team Sony" guys making an exclusive game for them.

Lol, so they own the ip, but Microsoft are publishing it and have funded it, while they may own the ip surely this will have the same result as if they didn't. It won't be on another platform just like their Sony efforts.

I cannot see the logic in the argument in owning the IP in this instance, they still won't be able to do anything with it as I'm pretty sure MS won't have backed it financially if there was any chance it would turn up on the competition.
You seem to be confusing 'IP' with 'game'. Sunset Overdrive 2, SO:Extreme Edition, SO:Sports Adventures, SO:The MMO, SO In Space can all be cross-platform. Contrast that with Resistance 4 or Ratchet And Clank:platform Wars or Spyro HD Deluxe Pay-to-win Edition which Insomniac cannot make for anyone but Sony, and it's obvious that owning the IP has value. It can become a name on one platform (like MGS or Final Fantasy did on PS) and then spread to other platforms.

SO the game on anything other than XB1/PC is very unlikely, but future SO games on multiple machines is probably. MS get a (potential) killer app by securing the first iteration to help sell consoles while Insomniac gain a stable next-gen start and opportunity to establish a next-gen franchise to last them 3-4 titles.

SO the game on anything other than XB1/PC is very unlikely, but future SO games on multiple machines is probably. MS get a (potential) killer app by securing the first iteration to help sell consoles while Insomniac gain a stable next-gen start and opportunity to establish a next-gen franchise to last them 3-4 titles.
The kind of spotlight being shone on Insomniac now that their new franchise is Xbox exclusive is really the best part of the deal. If this were another Sony exclusive Insomniac game I doubt it would have generated as much hype and excitement as when the game was announced for XBO at E3. Even before concrete details about the game were released, it was already considered evidence that the Xbox would have a stronger lineup of exclusives.

On PS3 Insomniac was somewhat overshadowed by Sony's first party studios. Being on XBO instead of PS4 flips the script. It's also the perfect way to re-energize their fan base on Sony's console if the series makes its way to PS4, avoiding the lacklustre reception Resistance 3 got last gen.

On PS3 Insomniac was somewhat overshadowed by Sony's first party studios.
I disagree. Or at least, the reason they were overshadowed is they weren't the top-tier developer they had been on PS2/PS1. SO, or any good game, would have had the interest of gamers. Insomniac's biggest mistake was changing the style of Fuse. Had they stuck with the original (similar in lightheartedness to SO), I expect they'd have done very well cross-platform.

The exclusiveness helps bring attention to the game, I agree, but it's nothing a really good game can't gain for itself being cross-platform.

The kind of spotlight being shone on Insomniac now that their new franchise is Xbox exclusive is really the best part of the deal. If this were another Sony exclusive Insomniac game I doubt it would have generated as much hype and excitement as when the game was announced for XBO at E3. Even before concrete details about the game were released, it was already considered evidence that the Xbox would have a stronger lineup of exclusives.

On PS3 Insomniac was somewhat overshadowed by Sony's first party studios. Being on XBO instead of PS4 flips the script. It's also the perfect way to re-energize their fan base on Sony's console if the series makes its way to PS4, avoiding the lacklustre reception Resistance 3 got last gen.

Resistance 3's reception wasn't lacklustre at all. Certainly not its critical reception. Insomniac simply burned the bridges when they tried to jump on the CoD train with R2. Insomniac tried to revert back to what made the first game special with R3, but it was too little too late. R3 never really had a chance. A damn shame really. Game was ace.

Insomniac also wasted years on fucking up the R&C franchise and made the dreadful Fuse on top of that.

That MS exclusive deal is indeed the best thing that could have happened to them. People seem to be excited despite the fact that Insomniac hasn't made a noteworthy game in years.

Resistance 3's reception wasn't lacklustre at all. Certainly not its critical reception. Insomniac simply burned the bridges when they tried to jump on the CoD train with R2. Insomniac tried to revert back to what made the first game special with R3, but it was too little too late. R3 never really had a chance. A damn shame really. Game was ace.

Insomniac also wasted years on fucking up the R&C franchise and made the dreadful Fuse on top of that.

That MS exclusive deal is indeed the best thing that could have happened to them. People seem to be excited despite the fact that Insomniac hasn't made a noteworthy game in years.

Or probably the worst if the XB1 doesnt have the userbase interested to buy the game

I'm being cautious with this one. I thought the Resistance games were completely awful, and Fuse seemed like junk. I played the first R&C game on PS3 and it was pretty great, but I never played the rest. I'm skeptical because devs rarely make a string of bad games and suddenly put out one that's really good. You never know. What they've shown certainly looks interesting. It really depends on the enemies. This could be another Crackdown 2, which seemed great in theory, but got boring after about 15 minutes.

I'm being cautious with this one. I thought the Resistance games were completely awful, and Fuse seemed like junk. I played the first R&C game on PS3 and it was pretty great, but I never played the rest. I'm skeptical because devs rarely make a string of bad games and suddenly put out one that's really good. You never know. What they've shown certainly looks interesting. It really depends on the enemies. This could be another Crackdown 2, which seemed great in theory, but got boring after about 15 minutes.

Resistance games were the best shooters of last gen. RnC games were fantastic too, never a lame duck in there. The only lacklustre game in Insomniac's kitty is FUSE which initially was also awesome in the first trailer but was turned into a generic shooter for mass appeal, or so it seems.

Insomniac knows how to make fun games. And since they are cornered this time, I am sure they will deliver the best they can. The videos have an unmissable RnC vibe to the movement/traversal and gameplay. The weapons they have shown till now don't seem that awesome though.

Waiting for E3 for more details. Feeling bad I won't be able to play this on my ps4.

Resistance games were the best shooters of last gen.
Very subjective. For me, R:FoM was okay, R2 was poop, R3 stopped at the demo for me as it really wasn't graphically on par with rivals and there was plenty of other choice. Many people will point to CoD of Borderlands or Halo or Gears as the 'best shooter' for different, personal reasons. RnC I couldn't get into. I felt the weapons were mostly redundant - they all effectively did the same thing with different graphics. I'd say based on Insomniacs sales that the typical gamer wasn't as impressed with Insomniacs offering as you were.

If only sales could define a game's goodness :) The recent CODS are in no way the best shooters out there ......anyways, of course its subjective, so debate isn't possible, but, yes for me RFOM is on top, along with R3. Best shooters on ps3, not handheld spoonfed interactive movies that reward button presses, but games, actual games you can replay a lot.

I'm trying to determining purpose in the gameplay but it's hard. It looks as though the player are just moving around randomly shooting endlessly spawning mutants. Are they trying to clear an area, collect things or get from A to B? :???:

I'm trying to determining purpose in the gameplay but it's hard. It looks as though the player are just moving around randomly shooting endlessly spawning mutants. Are they trying to clear an area, collect things or get from A to B? :???:

There are parts form boss-battle (the balloon character), and (I guess) other parts from sandbox missions (clearing the area from mutants, for example).

Back