Next generation 30GB game cartridge to only cost $1 in 2006?

gurgi said:
Naw, a DVD drive has been extra till just recently, but even now you have to choose between a cd-r or dvd drive for a PC. CDROM drives are still standard in all but maybe laptops. Laptops for a while were cd-r or dvd, and now a lot are cd-r/dvd hybrids. But laptops are different because people have a need for a portable dvd player on business trips, on the plane ect.

DVD drives have been "standard" for quite some time now.

A few publishers tried releasing dvd games years ago, and stopped for a reason. And they are just starting to give it another go.

AFAIK, many (multi CD) games have been released on DVD in Europe.

Outside of gaming, if DVD drives ever become the bottom possible configuration for new PCs, people still will hardly need the capacity.

Chicken and the egg problem. The attitude about NOT "needing" a DVD drive is why more publishers in the US don't put out games on DVD. Also, how are you going to watch a DVD on your computer w/o a DVD drive.

london-boy said:
mckmas8808 said:
I really don’t think this will replace CDs, DVDs, or even Blu-ray Discs. The 300GB disc PC is talking about is probably not going to be a real commerical success. Apple, Dell, and HP are already fully behind Blu-ray. And the BDA has already announced that a 200GB disc is already in lab form and will be used when needed.

Eventually we'll need more than the 200GB BlueRay offers.

Yup and I'm sure before 200gb bluray discs come about we will see another standard that beats that 200gb 8 layer disc with only 1 layer and it will be time to buy again . The reason being is i don't see more than a dl bluray disc writer for the home

Dell lets you choose between a free CD-R or DVD upgrade, but they are still called upgrades. Looking at other PC brands, it looks like DVD is finally a standard (if you don't go CD-R), but that hardly means that the percentage of PCs out there with DVD drives in them is very high yet.

Not to mention that servers and workstations all come with CD-ROM drives.

DVD penetration isn't that great yet, and considering how long these drives have been out, it isn't difficult to see there is really not high demand.

gurgi said:
I would be very suprised to see many PCs with blueray drives in them any time soon, if at all.

Check this computer drive out.

Philips Electronics, a world leader in optical storage and a founding member of the Blu-ray Disc Association, will be revealing its prototype all-in-one PC writer that reads and writes CD, DVD and Blu-ray Discs. The demonstration will be held on the Philips booth #9004 at the CES 2005 exhibition. The introduction of this unique all-in-one PC writer is scheduled for the second half of 2005.

The PC drive utilizes Philips' latest compact OPU81 triple-laser optical pick-up unit in which separate infra-red, red and blue lasers share the same optical pathway to provide Blu-ray Disc read/write capabilities as well as read/write compatibility with DVD and CD. This compact optical pick-up unit is based on a flexible architecture, allowing future speed improvements to be easily and cost-effectively implemented.
Blu-ray-1-small-12882.jpg

Link http://www.opticalstorage.philips.com/about/news/article-14836.html

mckmas8808 said:
gurgi said:
I would be very suprised to see many PCs with blueray drives in them any time soon, if at all.

Check this computer drive out.

Philips Electronics, a world leader in optical storage and a founding member of the Blu-ray Disc Association, will be revealing its prototype all-in-one PC writer that reads and writes CD, DVD and Blu-ray Discs. The demonstration will be held on the Philips booth #9004 at the CES 2005 exhibition. The introduction of this unique all-in-one PC writer is scheduled for the second half of 2005.

The PC drive utilizes Philips' latest compact OPU81 triple-laser optical pick-up unit in which separate infra-red, red and blue lasers share the same optical pathway to provide Blu-ray Disc read/write capabilities as well as read/write compatibility with DVD and CD. This compact optical pick-up unit is based on a flexible architecture, allowing future speed improvements to be easily and cost-effectively implemented.
Blu-ray-1-small-12882.jpg

Link http://www.opticalstorage.philips.com/about/news/article-14836.html

I bet these phillips machines just fly off the shelves too. Since when do they make PCs anyway =P

EDIT: fixed heh

gurgi said:
Dell lets you choose between a free CD-R or DVD upgrade, but they are still called upgrades. Looking at other PC brands, it looks like DVD is finally a standard (if you don't go CD-R), but that hardly means that the percentage of PCs out there with DVD drives in them is very high yet.

DVD penetration isn't that great yet, and considering how long these drives have been out, it isn't difficult to see there is really not high demand.

Your goign to see that shirt very quickly . Dvd-rw sales will grow greatly . 8x drives can be had now for 30ish usd so we will start to see the dvd drive standard everwhere with the dvd rs as the upgrade . Esp with the next gen drives coming out the price of dvd drives will drop

jvd said:
gurgi said:

Your goign to see that shirt very quickly . Dvd-rw sales will grow greatly . 8x drives can be had now for 30ish usd so we will start to see the dvd drive standard everwhere with the dvd rs as the upgrade . Esp with the next gen drives coming out the price of dvd drives will drop

Assuming this happens though, how many years has this technology been available? Blue-ray sounds nice, and I'm sure it will work great for PS3 and maybe for next gen dvds if chosen above HDDVD. I'm just saying if the technology is every really adopted by the PC market, it won't be for a long time.

Assuming this happens though, how many years has this technology been available? Blue-ray sounds nice, and I'm sure it will work great for PS3 and maybe for next gen dvds if chosen above HDDVD. I'm just saying if the technology is every really adopted by the PC market, it won't be for a long time.

What are you talking about. Apple has stated that they will put the drive in their computers and laptops next year. And Dell and HP will do the same. Look below

HP today announced plans to include Blu-ray Disc drives across many of its product lines, including select consumer desktop and notebook PCs, personal workstations and digital entertainment centers.

"HP has been a key contributor in the development of the Blu-ray Disc format," said John Romano, senior vice president, Global Consumer PC Business, HP. "The arrival of high-definition content in the home, along with the convergence of PCs and home entertainment, has created a need for a higher capacity optical disc format."
Blu-ray discs will have three different media types available at launch:

BD-ROM - read-only format for software, games and movie distribution BD-RE - rewritable format for HDTV recording and data storage
BD-R - write-once format for HDTV recording and data storage

HP intends to continue to work with the other companies of the Blu-ray Disc Association to complete the format technology and develop the drives. HP plans to introduce Blu-ray Disc technology in late 2005 in select media center PCs, desktop PCs, personal workstations and digital entertainment devices followed by notebooks in early 2006.

We don't know at what price point though mckmass .

I was able to get a dvd drive in my laptop a year after dvd drives hit the desktops but it still carried a hefty premium and untill bluray drives cost the same as dvd drives to include they will never outsell dvd drives .

Its taken dvd drives so long become the standard because of how cheap cdrs became and now you see that problem will happen with bluray .

How many people would get a bluray-rom drive for thier laptop if they can get a dvd rw 16x for the same price ?

This is what they all face. Its even more complicated because by the end of the year we should have hd-dvd at the same point bluray is . So many will opt for just dvd rw drives untill they figure out what is going to be the stnadard

was able to get a dvd drive in my laptop a year after dvd drives hit the desktops but it still carried a hefty premium and untill bluray drives cost the same as dvd drives to include they will never outsell dvd drives

Of course they won't outsell dvd drives I was directing that post at gurgi. He stated that PC wouldn't even have Blu-ray drives, so I had to educate him. Oh and also gurgi Sony makes PCs and laptops too so you can expect Blu-ray drives to be in them too. :)

How many people would get a bluray-rom drive for thier laptop if they can get a dvd rw 16x for the same price ?

To be honest people who want to watch HD movies on a laptop. And people who want 25Gbs of media storage. I expect more people to want it for HD though.

Its even more complicated because by the end of the year we should have hd-dvd at the same point bluray is . So many will opt for just dvd rw drives untill they figure out what is going to be the stnadard

Well Blu-ray will be in some Apple, HP, and Dell computers. HD-DVD doesn't have that luxuary. People will become more accustomed to Blu-ray in computer WAY before HD-DVD. That's why everybody was making the big fuss about the two biggest PC makers in the world becoming Blu-ray founders. And its also important that Apple is a member of the Board of Directors. So these guys loyalties will be pretty strong.

To be honest people who want to watch HD movies on a laptop. And people who want 25Gbs of media storage. I expect more people to want it for HD though.

I said rom. Not writeable . If you don't think the rewriteable drives will carry a preimum even over the read only drives you've got another thing coming .

I expect bluray rom drives to cost the same as a 16 x dvdrw drive and the writeable drivers to cost much more .

Well Blu-ray will be in some Apple, HP, and Dell computers. HD-DVD doesn't have that luxuary. People will become more accustomed to Blu-ray in computer WAY before HD-DVD. That's why everybody was making the big fuss about the two biggest PC makers in the world becoming Blu-ray founders. And its also important that Apple is a member of the Board of Directors. So these guys loyalties will be pretty strong.

hd-dvd drives will be in toshiba pcs and most likely many others and may actually end up being in pcs way before bluray , both are slated for the end of the year .

Hd-dvd may actually be cheaper in both media and drive cost too

You're right about the BR-R and BR-RE drives costing more but do you really think its possible for Toshibia to outsell Sony, HP, Dell, and Apple as far as HD drives are concerned. Its easy to say well yeah other people will pick up HD-DVD in the future, but its another thing to have the biggest PC makers in the world on the Founder's and Board of Director's list. ;)

mckmas8808 said:
You're right about the BR-R and BR-RE drives costing more but do you really think its possible for Toshibia to outsell Sony, HP, Dell, and Apple as far as HD drives are concerned. Its easy to say well yeah other people will pick up HD-DVD in the future, but its another thing to have the biggest PC makers in the world on the Founder's and Board of Director's list. ;)

They don't have to outsell it . All they need to do is create confusion .

Aside from that they could outsell it , it depends greatly on supply and cost . If hd-dvd drives are in better supply and cost less people will buy them . Its very simple

And what did you think I meant when I said they won't really be adopted imo. That not a single PC will EVER have one?

Your still confused gurgi. New media is never brought faster than its previous media when it first comes out. VHS tapes sold more than DVDs in 1998. Its no big deal everybody expects that.

Did you not see that Sony, Dell, HP, and Apple will have Blu-ray drives next year. What is it that you don't understand. o_O How can I explain this to you so that you can understand.

Maybe somebody else has to did it because I have tried. *throws hands in the air*

Aside from that they could outsell it , it depends greatly on supply and cost . If hd-dvd drives are in better supply and cost less people will buy them . Its very simple

There is a very, very slight possibility that could happen but I really doubt it. How can Toshiba sell more HD-DVD drives than HP, Dell, Sony, and Apple can sell Blu-ray drives in computers. :? You should know better than to say something like that.

mckmas8808 said:

There is a very, very slight possibility that could happen but I really doubt it. How can Toshiba sell more HD-DVD drives than HP, Dell, Sony, and Apple can sell Blu-ray drives in computers. :? You should know better than to say something like that.

YOu should know better than to assume something .

How many bluray drives will they be able to make ? How many people would opt to add in a 100$ bluray drive vs a 75$ hd-dvd drive ?

How will people react to the library of movies ?

Lots of factors that none of us know . But do you really think sony can steam roll over toshiba that easily ? If you know this then surely toshiba does and they wouldn't bother wasting the hundreds of millions that it would cost to launch this product

mckmas8808 said:
And what did you think I meant when I said they won't really be adopted imo. That not a single PC will EVER have one?

Your still confused gurgi. New media is never brought faster than its previous media when it first comes out. VHS tapes sold more than DVDs in 1998. Its no big deal everybody expects that.

Did you not see that Sony, Dell, HP, and Apple will have Blu-ray drives next year. What is it that you don't understand. o_O How can I explain this to you so that you can understand.

Maybe somebody else has to did it because I have tried. *throws hands in the air*

If we are in agreement then why are you getting so frustrated?

Because we are not in agreement. You think NO PCs will have Blu-ray drives, yet I'm trying to tell you that plenty of PCs will have them.

jvd said:
But do you really think sony can steam roll over toshiba that easily ?

Well with the help of HP, Dell, and Apple; Sony can steam roll over Toshiba. Thats why I didn't understand why they just didn't give into Sony.

Well with the help of HP, Dell, and Apple; Sony can steam roll over Toshiba. Thats why I didn't understand why they just didn't give into Sony.
Because toshiba feels they can't and i think you will see it wont be a steam roll and it will be a long bloody battle .

Back