Maxell to offer 300GB holographic discs 'late 2006'

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by ps2xboxcube, Nov 25, 2005.

1. ps2xboxcube

Newcomer

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/24/maxell_holo_storage/

So howlong before this takes over and kills Blue-Ray and HD-DVD to become the new standard for Movies and Data-Storage? Will this be the new format for the XBOX 3? Will Sony continue to use Blue-ray for PS4 or give in to HVD compatibility? What do all you guys think?

#1 ps2xboxcube, Nov 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  2. weaksauce

Regular

So how much will it cost?

3. winstonsmith1978

Newcomer

Being that Sony has switched formats every gen, i would imagine that this is a likely option for ps4. Actually, all next next gen systems will probably use this or if bandwidth provides, an HDD.

4. Gholbine

Regular

I imagine this technology will simply replace tape-drive backups, for the time being. Will be awesome to see it in the Xbox 720 and PS4.

5. winstonsmith1978

Newcomer

Actually, i take back what i said. The standard for movies and hd broadcast won't jump above 720p,1080i and 1080p for a long time. So you won't need more space then what blu-ray offers.

This will be used more for storage.

6. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

This will be a kickass format for video cameras. They are talking about compact flash size disks that can hold 30+gb.

7. Brimstone

Brimstone B3D Shockwave Rider
    Veteran

I don't think it will kill Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (though it's supposed to be backwards compatible with HD-DVD) because of the intial cost. Hopefully by the time Xbox 3 comes out around the 2010 time frame, a read only version of HVD it might be manufactured at a low cost. The read speed is so much faster than Blu-Ray/HD-DVD that load times would be shorter.

Of course making the HVD discs cheap for mass production is also another consideration.

8. mckmas8808

Legend

Let me ask you a question. When and why will movie companies actually think about HVD?

9. AlphaWolf

Legend

When sales of BR and HDDVD movies start to decline, just like they have done with DVDs. So figure 10 years or less.

10. weaksauce

Regular

Actaully, sony does have a projector with 4000x2000px.
    But wouldn't this be too expensive for movies or games? Sounds kinda advanced.

11. mckmas8808

Legend

Great answer and I agree with you.

12. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

DVD sales declined? :???:
    How come?

13. AlphaWolf

Legend

14. The GameMaster

Newcomer

Actually... Toshiba (the one that created the HD-DVD format) backs the HVD format and has invested in it.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14414
    Personally... neither HD-DVD and BluRay is a true next generation optical format is the increase of storage capacity is minimal at best and the transfer performance is LOWER than the DVD format.

THIS format is a true next generation optical format as it not only offers *MUCH* greater capacity compared to the DVD format, but it also offers a much faster transfer performance. I see this format as a legitimate successor to the DVD format... and this format should be available about the same time the BluRay/HD-DVD becomes available.

15. BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
    Veteran

But i'll repost what has been already posted

"At what price?"

BluRay is supposedley supposed to be expensive by itself. Would Holographic discs be consumer ready next year (for data storage and movie playback)?

16. Gholbine

Regular

Remember, the first Blu-Ray based devices went on sale in early 2003. Blu-Ray will come into commercial use by mid-2006. This is a 3 and a half year gap between releasing the first systems, and the technology actually becoming viable for commercial use. Applying the same logic to HVD, we won't see commercial HVD use until at least 2010.

In other words, HVD could possibly be Blu-Ray's successor.

17. Thowllly

Regular

A holographic disc by late 2006? I'll believe that when I see it. I've heard about new holographic disc formats regularly for nearly a decade now, and it's always 'just around the corner'. But maybe it'll be different this time, we can always hope.