Next generation 30GB game cartridge to only cost $1 in 2006?

london-boy said:
clem64 said:
if the read times are decent, the implications for a console are pretty obvious.

Implications for anything!! :D Consoles are just one of the many platforms that need cheap massive storage! ;)

Imagine a personal ID with enough storage to store all our life history, medical and social... Not sure why you'd do that, but if a dicktator came to power, he might want to purse this tech in order to control everyone :devilish: Kidding, but really, the implications of such massive, small and CHEAP storage are huge. The future is bright 8)

Erm, how is this technology any better than a rewritable disk? It may not even be any faster, it could be slower.

Fox5 said:
london-boy said:
clem64 said:
if the read times are decent, the implications for a console are pretty obvious.

Implications for anything!! :D Consoles are just one of the many platforms that need cheap massive storage! ;)

Imagine a personal ID with enough storage to store all our life history, medical and social... Not sure why you'd do that, but if a dicktator came to power, he might want to purse this tech in order to control everyone :devilish: Kidding, but really, the implications of such massive, small and CHEAP storage are huge. The future is bright 8)

Erm, how is this technology any better than a rewritable disk? It may not even be any faster, it could be slower.

The fact that it's not a disc will attract many people, besides, i've never said it's "better" than a rewritable disc. I just said that a "thing" that's as small as a credit card and has a 30GB+ is very appealing and has many implications.

london-boy said:
Fox5 said:
london-boy said:
clem64 said:

The fact that it's not a disc will attract many people, besides, i've never said it's "better" than a rewritable disc. I just said that a "thing" that's as small as a credit card and has a 30GB+ is very appealing and has many implications.

Does it have any support?
If this is just supposed to be a PC media, I don't see it competing with mini drives drives. A 5GB USB mini drive is already pretty small, and by the time we might see these disks on the market I'm sure mini drives will be more comparable in storage.(I almost said flash, but I don't think there are 5GB flash drives, it's a miniaturized harddrive isn't it?)

Does it read fast ???

Because at the end of 2006, a 26Gb Blu Ray disc will not cost much more than US$1 too.

4.7GB DVDr are way LESS than US$1 today.

I'm kind of surprised that they're thinking of offering it already. The main problem that has been plaguing Holographic storage media for the past 5 years has been the material (as in holding up for long times, and also maintaining fidelity as you store more bits in the same physical location).

I'm wondering what kind of media these guys found.

I agree ShootMyMonkey, holographic storage has been something that has been regarded as the next best thing in storage for the past 5 years, and they still don't have anything beyond the experimental stage.

If the storage material does not last for any reasonable amount of time, then this technology is useless.

I just want to see an optical format actually designed for data storage and random access rather than streaming movies. So we can see reasonable latency from the damn things.

That's another "I'll believe it when I see it" tech, in either form. Mainly because right now they don't appear to be getting support from any other major player, so the likelihood of hitting either their "aimed" price or launch timetable (for anything much outside of a lab) would seem to be low, and their ability to catch the attention of buyers equally low. That it hasn't picked up any real interest yet for something that looks that good on paper makes me wonder about the feasability, offhand.

Though at the moment, I'm sure WAY too many companies are caught up in the existing HD struggle and don't want to distract themselves. ;)

If you remember back on usenet, there was all sorts of talk about Project Reality coming with a holodrive. These things are more vapor than actual wares. Call me when they actually come to market with something other than press releases. PEACE.

MechanizedDeath said:
If you remember back on usenet, there was all sorts of talk about Project Reality coming with a holodrive.
I thought that was one of the original codenames of the N64? ;)

mckmas8808 said:
gugri said:
Assuming Blue Ray is even used outside of PS3. We might need something new even sooner heh.

Ummm... I think the BDA has that covered.

The Blu-Ray consortium also includes Hewlett-Packard, Apple and Dell, which will push Blu-ray as the main disc format for computers.

Link
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13133-1647945,00.html

Umm, DVD drives are really just starting to make thier way into the PC market, and they still aren't the default configuration for most setups. I'm sure manufacturers were planning to sell DVD drives to the PC market faster, but there just isn't much demand for huge optical media on the platform.

I would be very suprised to see many PCs with blueray drives in them any time soon, if at all.

gurgi said:
Umm, DVD drives are really just starting to make thier way into the PC market, and they still aren't the default configuration for most setups. I'm sure manufacturers were planning to sell DVD drives to the PC market faster, but there just isn't this huge demand for huge optical media on the platform.
Return "Umm..." What? DVD drives have been default in just about any system for a few years now (that, or a CD burner of some sort), which means they were standard on mid-range system for a year or two before that, and standard on higher-end systems for a year or two before THAT, and then "optional availabilities" for the years previous to the launc h of the standard. I expect any of the next gen drives to have a similar pickup pattern... That is certainly standard adoption.

It's games that are only just now coming out on DVD, so no... I don't expect them to adopt anything else for a good long time. :p

You only don't see DVD as absolutely standard in all cases because "burner" seems to be a more compelling marketing phrase for customers. Heh...

Naw, a DVD drive has been extra till just recently, but even now you have to choose between a cd-r or dvd drive for a PC. CDROM drives are still standard in all but maybe laptops. Laptops for a while were cd-r or dvd, and now a lot are cd-r/dvd hybrids. But laptops are different because people have a need for a portable dvd player on business trips, on the plane ect.

A few publishers tried releasing dvd games years ago, and stopped for a reason. And they are just starting to give it another go.

Outside of gaming, if DVD drives ever become the bottom possible configuration for new PCs, people still will hardly need the capacity.

Back