Next generation 30GB game cartridge to only cost $1 in 2006?

PC-Engine

Banned
050608_hvc1.jpg

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20050608/105586/?ST=english

Optware to Release 30 GB Holographic Card for Less than $1 at the End of 2006

Jun 08, 2005 18:00

Optware Corp., a developer of holographic data storage systems, is planning to release a Holographic Versatile Card (HVC) media product around the end of 2006. The card capacity is expected to be 30 GB. The company aims to price the product around ¥100. Optware also intends to set the price of a reader device lower than ¥200,000 and a reader/writer device lower than ¥1 million. The launch of these HVC-related products is planned to coincide with the standardization of the technology, expected in December, 2006, by Ecma International, an organization promoting standardization of information and communication technologies. The company also revealed photos of mockups. Dimensions of the card are almost the same as those of a credit card, while the drive system is designed to be the size of a surface-mounted hard disc drive system.

Collinear holographic technology developed by Optware is used to read from and write onto the holographic card. The technology requires only one objective lens, because the information beam and reference beam are arranged into a single laser beam on the same axis, which is used for both reading and writing. In the HVC, hologram data are recorded in either longitudinal or lateral directions. A reader system moves both the medium and the optical head horizontally to pickup specified holograms. For example, card might be shifted to the right and left, with the optical head shifted back and forth. The company has designed the card to be almost as large as a credit card for users' convenience. Optware said that, technically, the size can be reduced to that of a memory card.

Errr i'll believe it when i go to the shop, pay UK£0.50 and go home and see it working.

Even then it might take me a while to believe it.

PC-Engine said:
It's based on holography and it's definitely real.
I'm not saying it's not real, i'm just saying that i will believe it's $1 (=£.50) when i have one at home.

Besides, read/write speeds?

Even if it's not $1, the feeling i get is that it's CHEAP enough. I'd definately pay much more than $1 for a small 30GB device with no moving parts. Speaking of which, are there moving parts in this tech? Still not sure how it works...

Very interesting to see someone's doing something to advance this technology.

london-boy said:
Even if it's not $1, the feeling i get is that it's CHEAP enough. I'd definately pay much more than $1 for a small 30GB device with no moving parts. Speaking of which, are there moving parts in this tech? Still not sure how it works...

Read the quoted article
A reader system moves both the medium and the optical head horizontally to pickup specified holograms. For example, card might be shifted to the right and left, with the optical head shifted back and forth

Oh right... that's quite a bit of movement then... Don't suppose we'll be jogging with portable versions of these any time soon.

clem64 said:
if the read times are decent, the implications for a console are pretty obvious.

Implications for anything!! :D Consoles are just one of the many platforms that need cheap massive storage! ;)

Imagine a personal ID with enough storage to store all our life history, medical and social... Not sure why you'd do that, but if a dicktator came to power, he might want to purse this tech in order to control everyone :devilish: Kidding, but really, the implications of such massive, small and CHEAP storage are huge. The future is bright 8)

It would be easier to implant permanently to a person than a spinning disc. Actually I think it's just the spinning that has prevented it for becoming reality.

Ummm...did no-one see the important bit...
The company aims to price the product around ¥100. Optware also intends to set the price of a reader device lower than ¥200,000 and a reader/writer device lower than ¥1 million.
If ¥100 = $1, ¥200,000 = $2,000

That's a bit much for a console, even the crazy losses MS and Sony are willing to take on the chin!

Shifty Geezer said:
The company aims to price the product around ¥100. Optware also intends to set the price of a reader device lower than ¥200,000 and a reader/writer device lower than ¥1 million.

That's a bit much for a console, even the crazy losses MS and Sony are willing to take on the chin!

Thanks. In fact i was trying to see where the title get the $1 figure from but couldn't find it.

Shifty Geezer said:

I think PC-Engine is trying to start up rumors for the NEXT generation of consoles.

$2000 is not very expensive considering only one company is making it and in very low volume too. ;)

Blu-ray recorders were once $4000 when they first came out.
VCRs were once $1000.
DVD players were once $1000
CD players were once $1000

Mark my words this will be the future floppy disk. ;)

I agree, that at some point if not superseded by some other tech. I was just pointing out ot the like of l-b that $1 a cartridge isn't so unbelievable when the rest of the tech isn't cheap.

But at the mo', 30gb doesn't compare with Blue Ray, and the idea of 30 GBs CHEAP rewritable storage, though nice, costs $10,000 at the moment. I think HD's will be cheaper and more expensive for a long time before holographics rewritable drives become cheap enough to consider including.

Though I've no idea how scalable holographics tech is or how quickly they'l be able to drop prices.

I guess it's a WORM though

as for the floppy disk replacement, it was not Iomega Zip or LS-120 as predicted, and not even CD-RW, but the thing noone thought off : USB keys :p

this holographic thing may be the CD-ROM and CD-R of the future

I really don’t think this will replace CDs, DVDs, or even Blu-ray Discs. The 300GB disc PC is talking about is probably not going to be a real commerical success. Apple, Dell, and HP are already fully behind Blu-ray. And the BDA has already announced that a 200GB disc is already in lab form and will be used when needed.

mckmas8808 said:
I really don’t think this will replace CDs, DVDs, or even Blu-ray Discs. The 300GB disc PC is talking about is probably not going to be a real commerical success. Apple, Dell, and HP are already fully behind Blu-ray. And the BDA has already announced that a 200GB disc is already in lab form and will be used when needed.

Eventually we'll need more than the 200GB BlueRay offers.

Back