Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks more like a T-Shirt version of the same design.

I'm wondering if Scorpio will gradually start to hurt the pc gaming marketshare, like the powerful Xbox 360 and PS3 did around their launch?
In my opinion Sony kinda got it wrong, by not offering 60fps in alot of games, but Scorpio is different judging from the specs and assuming the cpu is better . If Scorpio launches for $399 might we see alot of people adopt or even migrate away from pc instead of upgrading their computers with new 300-400 video cards instead of going into PC gaming? Probably the biggest pillar of PC gaming is people want better performance.

By the time Scorpio launches you can probably get an equivalent videocard for $280-300, but for people without preexisting pcs, they'd need a cpu,motherboard,hdd, psu etc, the price starts to add up.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if Scorpio will gradually start to hurt the pc gaming marketshare, like the powerful Xbox 360 and PS3 did around their launch?
In my opinion Sony kinda got it wrong, by not offering 60fps in alot of games, but Scorpio is different judging from the specs and assuming the cpu is better . If Scorpio launches for $399 might we see alot of people adopt or even migrate away from pc instead of upgrading their computers with new 300-400 video cards instead of going into PC gaming? Probably the biggest pillar of PC gaming is people want better performance.

By the time Scorpio launches you can probably get an equivalent videocard for $280-300, but for people without preexisting pcs, they'd need a cpu,motherboard,hdd, psu etc, the price starts to add up.

I'm not sure if AAA games on PCs have traditionally sold more units than the combined console numbers anyway. Not sure if this will make any difference at all.

The only difference is that if Scorpio is properly built "please be FL12_1 or 2. Then the baseline for games moves forward faster.

If, if, if.
I assume Jaguar + $499.

If Scorpio launches for $399 might we see alot of people adopt or even migrate away from pc instead of upgrading their computers with new 300-400 video cards instead of going into PC gaming? Probably the biggest pillar of PC gaming is people want better performance.

That's true of every console ever. If you don't have a PC to upgrade, the console offers better value. If you just need a GPU, PC is cheaper, and even with a little more outlay you get a more versatile platform.

Scorpio changes nothing. No PC gamer with an epic Steam Library is going to migrate to Scorpio. Scorpio will sell to console gamers.

They are trying to integrate everything. Be with it because this news can give some erotic results.

W10 "Game Mode" is going to be enabled on Scorpio, which means that games will digi-evolve from PC or Xbox One to 4K Scorpio 60 fps.

"[...]Game Mode enabled UWP today to build games for Xbox One at 900-1080p and up to 4K for Windows 10 PCs are ready to deploy those games for Project Scorpio, with over 95% of the existing project code intact".

http://www.windowscentral.com/game-mode-windows-10-will-power-xbox-one-project-scorpio

That's true of every console ever. If you don't have a PC to upgrade, the console offers better value. If you just need a GPU, PC is cheaper, and even with a little more outlay you get a more versatile platform.

Scorpio changes nothing. No PC gamer with an epic Steam Library is going to migrate to Scorpio. Scorpio will sell to console gamers.

Yeah I agree, these things are always discussed but i doubt the PC or console market ever has more than at most an incremental, impossible to suss out effect on one another.

If you look at what's big on PC it tends to be different from consoles anyway. It's moved away from big packaged triple A and in to a lot of Day Z, Rocket League, Overwatch, Minecraft, type of stuff.

Vega highlights were leaked. Should be relevant to Scorpio, excite?

AMD%20Vega%20architecture%20features.jpg

98a4Crh.png

Given Greenerg's beast comments etc, I'm still hoping for a (granted unlikely) upgrade before launch. It would seem to be well possible in theory. They should be using some Vega chip with tons of headroom, and I imagine 6.0 Teraflops was essentially a placeholder figure..

Scorpio would be Vega 11? Obviously non HBM...

Last edited:
In your dreams remember about power consumption.
PS4 Pro has a pretty big heatsink and gets pretty loud in pro mode.
Whole system "only" draws 160W under load.

Vega 10 alone is only < 300W.

Yeah I agree, these things are always discussed but i doubt the PC or console market ever has more than at most an incremental, impossible to suss out effect on one another.

If you look at what's big on PC it tends to be different from consoles anyway. It's moved away from big packaged triple A and in to a lot of Day Z, Rocket League, Overwatch, Minecraft, type of stuff.

Vega highlights were leaked. Should be relevant to Scorpio, excite?

AMD%20Vega%20architecture%20features.jpg

98a4Crh.png

Given Greenerg's beast comments etc, I'm still hoping for a (granted unlikely) upgrade before launch. It would seem to be well possible in theory. They should be using some Vega chip with tons of headroom, and I imagine 6.0 Teraflops was essentially a placeholder figure..

Scorpio would be Vega 11? Obviously non HBM...

Lots of headroom clocked lower for console. PS pro and Polaris is 5.8 tf part clocked to 4.2, this makes Scorpio look like an 8.3 or more PC part assuming the same performance ratio, so fury x but with newer IP ?

Wonder if 6TF was just a bare minimum to hit? Might be a tad more than that 6.5TF when said and done?
6TF looks like they took Vega 10 and halved it, which means that it could draw around 150W or less (< 300 is a very abstract number)

In your dreams remember about power consumption.
PS4 Pro has a pretty big heatsink and gets pretty loud in pro mode.
Whole system "only" draws 160W under load.

Vega 10 alone is only < 300W.
Loudness and system load are 2 separate metrics. Correlation only occurs because of how the cooling system was designed for the system load.

XBO and PS4 have the same system load and XBO is much quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back