Eurogamer: An insider confirms the existence of Xbox Next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember that every time there's a new big update to PC GPUs, the console boys always come up with crazy rumours about how those huge and very expensive GPUs will find their way to consoles, for next to nothing, because "sell at a loss, thank you!".

The question of a 10 or 20 TFLOP console is more a matter of when. Is something like this going to be released in a £300 console in 2017? No.
Will we get a 10Tflop console (or more) when 10 Tflop GPUs are cheap enough in a few years? Naturally.

Is bandwidth that important if the FLOPS aren't being used for graphics? Wh
I seem to remember that every time there's a new big update to PC GPUs, the console boys always come up with crazy rumours about how those huge and very expensive GPUs will find their way to consoles, for next to nothing, because "sell at a loss, thank you!".

The question of a 10 or 20 TFLOP console is more a matter of when. Is something like this going to be released in a £300 console in 2017? No.
Will we get a 10Tflop console (or more) when 10 Tflop GPUs are cheap enough in a few years? Naturally.
better question is what they intend to do with so many FLOPS.

Feels like a big loss just using it to increase resolution.
After real-time GI becomes standard (when XBO and PS4 phase out)
then we need to look at real-time animations.

On the face of it, the say 450-500mm2 APU die (unless Microsoft has been secretly building a 10nm Fab somewhere ) needed to reach these specifications is going to present a real problem for affordability. However, perhaps one of the following could be a solution.

Multi-chip-module
1. Separate the CPU and GPU components (or even multiple GPU 'slices') of the chip as separate chips upon the same package, connected by AMD's upcoming GMI Data Fabric.
However, this could pose a problem for backwards compatibility. Xbox One titles have been presumably developed with the expectation of on-die CPU-GPU latencies.

Multiple tiers
2. Instead of throwing away partially-defective dies, thus increasing the price per die, or over-building the chip and then fusing off part of it for redundancy, thus increasing the size of an already large die, Microsoft could adopt another aspect of the PC chip market and use the partially-defective dies for a say 8Tflop 'Xbox Two Lite'.
However, this would result in increasing the workload for developers and further complicating a console market which has traditionally seen simplicity as one of its advantages.

Last edited:
A lot of noise. Guys if you can't get pass 10TF leave it be. No one cares about the numbers. If the central need for you to post here on this thread is to tell everyone it's not going to be 10TF guess what it's 70% of the posts on this thread.
Stop with the noise already let the thread bury itself until new information arises.

4 weeks to e3 if MS has a console to announce or Sony for that matter it's going to be soon. Until then keep your guns at your hips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we remove the filler and blah blah, This is the actual info from the leak:

- special event a few days before E3
- release next spring
- in production for this summer
- 5-6 times PS4 Neo
- over 10 TFLOPS or so
- integrated HBM DDR4 memory in GPU
- 14-nanometer FinFET or Polaris-11 Vega, GCN 4.0
- custom-class, x86-x64

Among those, the only interesting info is:

- Launch next spring
- 5-6x Neo (which would be 20-25TF), or more than 10TF
- integrated HBM DDR4 memory in GPU

Power is being discredited, and hbm ddr4 is something that makes no sense. So we're left with:
- Launch next spring

Sure, I guess.... What do you want to talk about?
Should this thread be closed and simply make a discussion that is purely speculation about what MS (oh and Nintendo) should do to counter Neo?

Nothing. We wait. Like we have with many other threads about consoles until new information is released. Nothing to say that hasn't been said. In 4 weeks time this and the Neo thread will be alive and trickling with new info or not. Which if not the thread buries itself. I would rather have no discussion than noise because at least I won't be wasting my time re-reading the same points over and over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen this happen on B3D ever. :oops:

In B3D, I don't believe we usually tolerate blatant misinformation/FUD/trolling. We've banned people in the past for doing this. Why that's changed, I don't know.

It's hard to have a meaningful discussion. If something is obviously not feasible/possible/probable in the next console, make your point and move on. Why fill this thread with meaningless crap. As iroboto has said, we'll know in a few weeks what the new consoles have to offer.

I'm not saying we turn this into the forum without a sense of humor, but it seems to me that in some threads, it seems to attract more of the fantastical than others.

No problem, I was under the impression that nobody here believes the data in the leak is genuine. I guess I was wrong.

Did anyone notice the supposed leak from "Eurogamer" is not from eurogamer? And that there's no indication the leaker is an "insider"? And that there's no corobrated sources, just one blogger claiming an anonymous conversation?

Here. This is the source. A guy with a blog posting about an article per month, posting in italian on a canadian blogspot account, and his handle is "xrays-insider"?
http://xrays-insider.blogspot.ca/2016/05/insider-report-il-fallimento.html

Also the rumor is not even from him, he claims it's a discrete conversation he had late night with an anonymous source.

COME ON !!!!!

Did anyone notice the supposed leak from "Eurogamer" is not from eurogamer? And that there's no indication the leaker is an "insider"? And that there's no corobrated sources, just one blogger claiming an anonymous conversation?

Here. This is the source. A guy with a blog posting about an article per month, posting in italian on a canadian blogspot account, and his handle is "xrays-insider"?

Also the rumor is not even from him, he claims it's a discrete conversation he had late night with an anonymous source.

COME ON !!!!!

I read on the GAF he was banned from MrX blog which speaks volumes.

COME ON !!!!!

So, just to make it perfectly clear, you're saying "There's a chance"?

:runaway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back