Eurogamer: An insider confirms the existence of Xbox Next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm expecting dual 1080s at least (18TF~ rumor would make sense then), bring it on MS!
Finally matched up with an Intel "Tejas" running at 10GHz, as predicted by Chaphack back in 2004, before 360 hardware specs leaked.

Enough of the trolling please.

Agreed. Even though quite honestly most of it is forgivable when you look at what the "insider" is claiming. 5x-6x the Neo is Mister X's Land. But if the translation is responsible for a misunderstanding regarding which Sony console (specifically the vanilla PS4) the new Xbox is supposedly surpassing then we come back to 10TFs.

Approaching it without all of the skepticism that this rumor actually does deserve, aren't there at least some practical solutions to reaching 10TFs without it sounding like a fantasy box?

Is a discrete GPU out of the question? Is a dual APU an impossible engineering feat? Albeit a bit costly, couldn't two of these Polaris 10s meet the task? Is it also unthinkable that perhaps Microsoft would use multiple lower end Polaris 11s to reach the goal? Even though I really don't see MS putting several graphic processors on a board, I mention this because of the rather dubious positions that Phil Spencer has taken regarding exactly what kind platform he intends to launch. One of his ubiquitous commentaries leans toward a platform that increases in performance during a generation. Maybe MS means to only have some of the system's performance available at launch and powergate what's remaining. Therefore releasing more performance as they go.

I acknowledge that I'm reaching here. But I don't find the "it can't be dones or the never gonna happens" as interesting as exploring realistic and practical solutions. I also wouldn't have imagined a large external power supply being such a prohibitive aesthetic for gamers. My Xbox One's PS sits behind my low profile cabinet and is never seen often enough for me to ever feel inconvenienced or offended by it's size. But I realize that others feel very passionately about this. lol

Then there is VR to consider. Is MS going to release something capable of effectively running devices like the Rift and the Vive? Or do they have their own plans for a Virtual headset that they would release after the launch of the so called Xbox Next? Whatever choice they make in order to support VR the next Xbox is going to have to have enough transistors to perform adequately.

There is of course the extremely high likelihood that all of this is bupkis anyway. If so then it should be said that MS and Nintendo have done an excellent job this time around. Nothing concrete has leaked out at all. We may actually be genuinely surprised by what they present at their respective press conferences.

Trolling helps the uninformed visualise how wishful thinking can distort our perception of reality and plausibility. Sometimes ridicule is the only way to get a point across.

Agreed there's been several pages dedicated to this stuff and not a peep from MS. Who are we trolling here? B3D members or Microsoft for making an attempt.

We know their next consoles will be using Xbox One peripherals - at least compatible. It's going dx12 with some lower level extensions. We know MS confirms that there will be forward compatibility go forward.

Everything else we should let die, the trolling has gotten to the point of MS new console as being the butt of jokes that we can neither confirm or deny for the sake of ??? Some "likes"? Likes stopping being handed out several pages ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're fighting the disease of fanboyism with humor. This is no time to slow down or stop the fight.

Laughing-quotes-laughter-quotes-rememeber-laughing.jpg

We still have diehard Xbox fanboys on this board? Are you sure? lol

B3D gets lots of external links, as if our discussions somehow validates rumors for being more than just rumors.

As for the existence of XBox Fanboys in general, MS seems to be doing a great job of killing them off slowly by their own accord, with continued issues with xbox dashboards and xbox live.

I dont't know if fanboys or not, but this thread has had a bigger share of delusional propositions than anything.

B3D gets lots of external links, as if our discussions somehow validates rumors for being more than just rumors.

As for the existence of XBox Fanboys in general, MS seems to be doing a great job of killing them off slowly by their own accord, with continued issues with xbox dashboards and xbox live.
Reading between the lines of your comment for me - if people think that B3D discussions validate rumours - etc, then the reputation of B3D is one that people know what they're talking about here. Lots of people out there are looking to separate fact from fiction and perhaps it rolls up to this board. I get the need to squash rumours (in particular because a specific individual continues to con the masses for some reason unbeknown to me) or to put them into their context, but I don't see constant badgering and sarcasm as tools that both effectively separate fact from fiction while still keeping the reputation of the board (as being knowledgable). We're just going to get lumped into an anti-MS sentiment, which I don't believe is reflective of this forum -- well there are certainly members that I could easily point out as being anti-ms but when did they reflect the entire forum.

We can do better than this.

Delusions should be handled with technical responses. When we get run away misterXs they should be reported and dealt with. Otherwise I don't see the need to walk down this path.

I agree with you, but damn, there were serious technical posts attesting the infeasibility of a 10 Tflops console and it did nothing to stop the wet dreaming. Now, apparently, it is over...

but, for how long?

We just need better rules or process. Like no pseudo-science etc allowed and people should be quick to just quote and indicate to members that pseudo answers aren't allowed.

I feel slightly let down that the console sub forum is a bit of a joke compared to the rest of this forum. We have no standards or severely lack the technical knowledge that the GPU forum does. Those posters they don't venture here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you, but damn, there were serious technical posts attesting the infeasibility of a 10 Tflops console and it did nothing to stop the wet dreaming. Now, apparently, it is over...

but, for how long?

So the solution is to add more unrealistic commentary?
You fight fiction with facts, not more fiction. Or maybe ban said individuals.

but, for how long?

Would you be so kind as to provide me with any links to those technical discussions about the infeasibility of a 10 TF console. I for one would be very interested in reading them.

Thanks in advance

Approaching it without all of the skepticism that this rumor actually does deserve, aren't there at least some practical solutions to reaching 10TFs without it sounding like a fantasy box?

With Polaris 10 reaching 4TF at reasonable TDP and AMD's roadmap showing Vega10 about 2x perf/watt this looks like a theoretical projection to me. Nobody here knows or would tell MS's next console's TDP target nor how realistic this AMD roadmap is.

But if the Roadmap is roughly correct and MS plans to use Vega with HBM2 the number does not look that ridiculous as it seems with current or soon to be available GPUs.

10TF is easily doable for Vega. However Vega, even in a cut down, lower clocked version seems doubtful in a 2016/early 2017 APU that would almost certainly have to feature Zen as well. And then there's the ludicrous 5-6x PS4 Neo claim. Which even if we're generous and say "it must have meant PS4" makes absolutely no sense.

We don't even know for sure what PS4 "neo" really is, so how could a Microsoft source realistically know a nextbox would be 5-6x "neo"? You could imagine that the guy has insider knowledge through industrial espionage, but it doesn't make much sense. Any sane person with real knowledge of this caliber would know better than to leak it to rabid fanboys on the internet, because otherwise they tend to get fired, and possibly sued.

Would you really risk your current MS job and future industry carreer over being the originator of a stupid internet rumor? Anyone who makes the wrong choice in such a risk/reward calculation probably does not work with future, upcoming consoles at either of the major hardware vendors! ;)

Obviously 5-6x sounds silly if interpreted that way.

But it would match the HBM2 bandwidth differential to PS4 Neo's GDDR5.

P.S. Rumor Numerology is always fun....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back