Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it was. That's because tech progress had slowed down. PS4 was already very late, with PS360 gen being the longest ever. PS5's advance will be similarly less than PS4s, and PS6's will be less again, unless they wait 15 years between generations (or we get a whole new paradigm in technology).

Oh yeah, I get that technology is not evolving as fast as it used to...I was referring to PS4 being relatively underpowered to PCs whereas previous gens consoles were considered cutting edge.

Though I've been losing a lot of gaming time lately, and it's becoming increasingly easier/entertaining to just do forum posts and pretend to play games.

If you leave a Twitch stream or YouTube VOD of someone playing a game in the background, it's even easier to pretend. :D I've been doing that a lot with For Honor as I have no intention of playing the game, but it's fun to watch.

Regards,
SB

Oh yeah, I get that technology is not evolving as fast as it used to...I was referring to PS4 being relatively underpowered to PCs whereas previous gens consoles were considered cutting edge.
Similar argument though, only here it's because the top end PC is so much further ahead than the consoles can economically manage. Before, consoles and PCs shared the same silicon budget and it was just a matter of how it was utilised, giving consoles the edge. But now PC can throw far more silicon real estate at the problem. There's literally nothing consoles can do to restore their former glory. They are the everyman's gaming box, and not the elite gaming boxes that sad office-computer owners would be jealous of.

5. Their vision is clear: 6 TF, 320 GB/s, 8 Core CPU, 12 GB (rumor) - all to target 4K and VR
Did MS announce anything concrete about VR on the Scorpio? If it supports cheap Windows Holographic HMDs it'll be icing on the cake though Xbox One users may be left behind.

7. I feel their biggest problems is games. You see these great exclusives so far for PS4 and so far MS has been pretty silent.t. They will need games a lot of them for E3 2017.
What games will be the "launch titles" for the Scorpio? In the previous E3 presentation the same game was played across PC/Xbox, now with the actual Scorpio it's kind of interesting how they will present the merit of the Scorpio. Will they state "on the Scorpio you can play a game in the same graphics fidelity as a gaming PC"? The problem is the gaming PC is a moving target.

What games will be the "launch titles" for the Scorpio? In the previous E3 presentation the same game was played across PC/Xbox, now with the actual Scorpio it's kind of interesting how they will present the merit of the Scorpio. Will they state "on the Scorpio you can play a game in the same graphics fidelity as a gaming PC"? The problem is the gaming PC is a moving target.
could see them doing something like this.
x1 1080p30, Scorpio 4k30 (and 1400p30/60 for 1080p), Gaming rig 12+tf 4k60
sea of thieves, crackdown 3, halo wars 2, horizon 3

x1 1080p60, Scorpio 4k60 (and 1400p/60 for 1080p), Gaming rig 12+tf 4k120/unlocked framerate
forza ms 7, gears 4, halo 3, KI, recore whatever else

some unpatched games showing locked frame rate and res that's dynamic on x1.

2nd, 3rd parties, showing variety of res and framerates some at their conference, others at their own.

"uwp/games that scales for every budget, that you can play on any machine, now or in the future"
and to be fair, x1, Scorpio should be easily competitive in their bracket. Mention things like uhd Blu-ray, atmos, etc. Mention apps kodi

VR similar approach, "due to competition in win10 hmd, budget to expensive high fidelity devices, that are all compatible"

showing Scorpio, hyper expensive gaming rig, and top of line rig to show what it takes to be competitive with Scorpio, is good for Scorpio, and good for pc as its showing games scaling.

"x1 is mainstream hd machine (that can output upscaled 4k hdr).
Scorpio is premium and best hd and 4k hdr console there is"

edit
make direct high quality feeds available right after show. That way, they can also not have to keep showing comparisons, media/df will do their comparisons, and you can see it for yourself. Also shows confidence.

Last edited:
I think Sony (as they said) were actually aiming for gamers (like me) who towards the end of a generation migrate to PC as games start to struggle. It keeps people in the PS brand loop buying PS games giving Sony money.
I know lots of people think it's just Sony rhetoric, can't stop people going pc etc.
I disagree, if their heart is console gaming but didn't like how far console fell behind pc during 8-10year lifespan, then I can see them getting a 4pro.
can easily see it being one of sony's principles behind 4pro.

I heard from someone working in the industry as an indie, he heard the Scorpio would be a little more powerful than the supposed specification. Not 100% sure because not first hand source... And it is a little more not much more powerful...

EDIT: But maybe more expensive than PS4 Pro

PSVR on PS4 is great. PS4Pro offers, in some titles, sharper visuals. There's no other differences that I've noticed.

There are some smaller differences on top of that, too. But it's rarely ever earth shattering. No foveated rendering on the Pro is probably the biggest difference. But when a developer handles this technique reasonably well (Arkham VR springs to mind), you'll barely ever notice it unless you're actively looking for it. I certainly never did I was made aware of its existence. Ah, ignorance is bliss innit. There's other stuff like a more refined in-cockpit lighting model in Battlezone, smoke trails in Eve Valkyrie, shadow casting torches in Rush of Blood, or some extra reflections here and there in other titles (Driveclub is one such game. Unless you're driving with an exterior camera it's almost impossible to notice., though. Also London Heist has some added shiny bits)

Probably the most immerdiately noticeable improvement I've seen so far was in Dirt Rally. Only on the Pro do you get all the cool windshield effects (actually makes the game harder), or clouds of water and dust particles being kicked into the air by car tires. I also think the game switches to higher tree lods a bit quicker on the Pro. I could be wrong on the last one, though. It's hard to tell when looking at fuzzy social screen video captures.

Last edited:
I heard from someone working in the industry as an indie, he heard the Scorpio would be a little more powerful than the supposed specification. Not 100% sure because not first hand source... And it is a little more not much more powerful...

EDIT: But maybe more expensive than PS4 Pro
I'm less interested in the raw tf number, as it will have to be the whole package to really be able to show a difference to 4pro, higher texture assets due to more memory etc.
6tf is enough to show visible difference to x1 imo.

will be interesting what the final numbers end up being if they do go up by release though. It would need to be a cost free upclock though.
I'm assuming when you heard little more powerful was talking about tflops

When MS settled on the TF figure - and presumably on the number of CUs and architecture specifics - AMD would have been knee deep in Polaris, which disappointed a little in terms of clocks.

Vega seems to be faring pretty well though, so perhaps MS are hoping they can get a few more mhz out of their chip within their heat / power / yield etc goals.

When MS settled on the TF figure - and presumably on the number of CUs and architecture specifics - AMD would have been knee deep in Polaris, which disappointed a little in terms of clocks.

Vega seems to be faring pretty well though, so perhaps MS are hoping they can get a few more mhz out of their chip within their heat / power / yield etc goals.

Another consideration is IF it includes a Zen core, that could tie in to the fact that AMD's recent press release for Ryzen has mentioned that it has exceeded their target goal WRT IPC. Instead of having a 40% increased IPC compared to their previous arch, it has a 52% increased IPC. While a 30% increase in CPU IPC compared to the target IPC is pretty dramatic, in terms of the overall machine it could be characterized as just "a little more powerful."

Again IF it uses Zen cores. At the time Microsoft were planning Project Scorpio, if they were to use Zen cores, they'd have been going by AMDs target IPC at the time.

Regards,
SB

Agreed, I'm just pointing out another situation where a statement like that could arise. One that not many people would think of.

Regards,
SB
With the lack of real information we have anything is possible really.

I recall the whole Lisa Su investor call bit that the whole internet, us as well, tried to dissect; the big concern was: she can't possibly lie to investors she said 2018 for semi custom! She would get fired!!

Then I look at our brexit threads and a quick scan of trump news; where citizens are clearly being lied to over much more serious matters not involving a NDA and thus, I've given up guessing what the CPU could be.

Last edited:
With the lack of real information we have anything is possible really.

I recall the whole Lisa Su investor call bit that the whole internet, us as well, tried to dissect; the big concern was: she can't possibly lie to investors she said 2018 for semi custom! She would get fired!!

Then I look at our brexit threads and a quick scan of trump news; where citizens are clearly being lied to over much more serious matters not involving a NDA and thus, I've given up guessing what the CPU could be.

NDA will always trump anything else. Plus specifically for Scorpio, the design win has already been announced so there is no need to say anything else to investors at the time. Finally, she NEVER said no Semi-custom in 2017. She said "looking beyond 2017." That phrase is does not convey any information regarding 2017, although it was likely wordsmithed to give that impression. To me that reeks of PR language used to obfuscate the 2017 SOC without outright lying to investors.

Finally, she NEVER said no Semi-custom in 2017. She said "looking beyond 2017." That phrase is does not convey any information regarding 2017, although it was likely wordsmithed to give that impression. To me that reeks of PR language used to obfuscate the 2017 SOC without outright lying to investors.
Please let's not go down this rabbit hole again,especially with no new information.

Then I look at our brexit threads and a quick scan of trump news; where citizens are clearly being lied to over much more serious matters not involving a NDA...
Citizens are chumps and people worthless. They can be lied to constantly and then won over in the next election with more lies, and if something bad happens to people, so what? Money is far more important and investors won't accept any misinformation that causes them to lose money and the System won't allow abuse that mucks up their money games. That's why corporate shenanigans can be trusted more than political promises.

A politician saying we won't lose jobs and everything is fine means squat, but an investment call beholden to Investors saying we do or don't have products coming is a truth more dependable than the laws of physics.

If Scorpio is delayed to 2018 just for a better GPU it might be a big opportunity missed that could extend the console's life for quite some time.

If Scorpio is delayed to 2018 just for a better GPU it might be a big opportunity missed that could extend the console's life for quite some time.
Scorpio being delayed into 2018 would be a Dreamcast in the making. The market share bleeding is accelerating, and the time to recover until the PS5 is announced is shrinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back