Influences of Favorite Console Religion on Game Perception (containment thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
because internet forums

duty_calls.png

Why does any discussion on exclusives have to turn into a pissing contest?

Why all the hate on Quantum Break in a thread about UC4?

Both games look stellar!!!!!!!!

Both games have really good lighting but use different methods!!!!!!

Quantum break is not a blur fest if you are playing it on even a decent 1080p monitor.
It's what happens when you piss off Sony fanboys by not declaring a PS exclusive as the greatest accomplishment of mankind.

It's what happens when you piss off Sony fanboys by not declaring a PS exclusive as the greatest accomplishment of mankind.
Is that what happens? In this thread, I've seen one person make an attempt to slam Quantum Break (a newcomer I might add, no offense to that poster).

What I see is these shit-storm threads are created because people have to be the debbie downer when people are enthusiastic about PS4 exclusives, and are relentless in their attempts to downplay the visuals.

It may seem to you that PS4 fanboys are somehow worse, but did you ever think that perhaps it's because there are more PS4 owners on these boards? The posts I see from both 'sides' aren't any worse than the other... there's just more people defending PS4 due to the amount of users owning the system.

Last edited:

Some of us aren't necessarily "Sony fanboys" because we remember the times when Genesis/Mega Drive couldn't do "mode 7" and "stereo sound" but later on there were games that defied those checklist features.

Same with the PS1/N64/Saturn gen and later gens.

Consoles do benefit from focused first party efforts more so than PC.

I think you are being paranoid and you are judging others for the same attitude you hold against PS exclusives. When others speak about Quantum Break's shortcomings they dont sound very much different from you talking about Uncharted's.
People have a lot of more reasons to be impressed about Uncharted than be picky

What I see is these shit-storm threads are created because people have to be the debbie downer when people are enthusiastic about PS4 exclusives, and are relentless in their attempts to downplay the visuals.
Both are true. It depends entirely on your point of view.

But only two members of this board constantly accuse people of being fanboys....and to be more precisely, accuse people of being Sony fanboys:

Someone does not praise a MS exclusive or a multiplat game => Sony FB

One likes an aspect of a Sony exclusive => must be a Sony FB

It is getting old imo. At GAF such people would get banned from the boards at least two times in a row...oh wait!! :mrgreen:

lol, just kidding, don't kill me!!

Sure there are some more vocal fans on here, but I don't see why every time someone says something positive about Uncharted 4, the usual suspects feel the need to bully them into submission. If they like it, let them be!

So who cares if they've never been out and have never seen anything as beautiful as Uncharted 4? Live and let live.

This, of course, applies to all games on all platforms.

Last edited:
if Uncharted 4 used the Dirt 360 piss filter and 720p native resolution, then I would not appreciate the graphics as much.

I am pretty sure Xbox fans in secret also hate piss filters. Or blurry, non-native upscaled graphics. That does not make them Xbox haters, because they find the energy and dedication to look past the piss filters and upscaled graphics and go like:
"Wow, would you look at that tree. It is the most advanced tree in the world: the developer even wrote a paper, "how to use compute for stem tracing in realtime graphics" It's such a beautiful tree"."
I then look at the game and I can't see the woods for the upscaled piss filtered trees.

Looking at uncharted though; i see a crisp, native 1080p image with perfect near photorealistic lighting.
Then the xbox fan comes alongs and says: "the graphics in Uncharted 4 are nothing special, I bet they don't even use stem tracing"

That's how it goes :)

My issue is (and always will be) that ND fans judge any game they put out as being "perfect" visually. I mean, googling over things such as Nate brushing up against bushes and making them move, or constantly talking about how amazing the graphics is and pairing that comment with an in-game cutscene, or talking about how you see footprints (obviously dynamic normal mapping) when Nate walks in sand, etc.. and making the comments "Naughty Gods, I don't see how they do it!" is simply annoying. These little things may not have been implemented all in one game, but people act like there is some new tech that ND just discovered that only THEY can do. Then when people say, "well, it looks pretty similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider" or something like that, you get this overly defensive response like "can't tell if you are joking or not.. " As if to imply that NO GAME is comparable to this game's visuals simply because it's ND.

Comments are made with very little understanding of graphics features as a whole and/or they are misconstrued as something never done before when in fact, they have.

My issue is (and always will be) that ND fans judge any game they put out as being "perfect" visually. I mean, googling over things such as Nate brushing up against bushes and making them move, or constantly talking about how amazing the graphics is and pairing that comment with an in-game cutscene, or talking about how you see footprints (obviously dynamic normal mapping) when Nate walks in sand, etc.. and making the comments "Naughty Gods, I don't see how they do it!" is simply annoying. These little things may not have been implemented all in one game, but people act like there is some new tech that ND just discovered that only THEY can do. Then when people say, "well, it looks pretty similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider" or something like that, you get this overly defensive response like "can't tell if you are joking or not.. " As if to imply that NO GAME is comparable to this game's visuals simply because it's ND.

Comments are made with very little understanding of graphics features as a whole and/or they are misconstrued as something never done before when in fact, they have.

So the response to people who are somewhat ignorant to the exact technical specifications is to be a condescending ass. How about speak in a more encouraging tone that encourages dialog and increases learning instead?

"That feature does look great. It was also used in game X. [insert photo]"

Or be condescending because your Atari 7800 isn't as cool as the Colecovision (even if the stock controllers were crap).

So you've invented a strawman to be angry at in perpetuity? Congratulations.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is not on the same league...

Ryse or Quantum Break or Star Wars Battlefront or Infamous or The Order 1886 are better looking game than Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Probably Horizon Zero Dawn too , I don't compare with Drive Club or Forza Horizon 2 too different games... Sunset Overdrive or Ratchet and Clank art direction is too different too...

After the ND games aren't perfect like any games and they do compromise baked GI, temporal reconstruction of shadow maps very visible in real-time cutscene(dithered shadow), could use better motion blur and so on...

And ND aren't the most innovative team in 3d feature but they know very well where to do the compromise to have the best possible visual fitting the art design of a title within the constraint of one hardware. And technical artist of ND are details freaks, finding cheap solutions to add details...

The goal is to have the best looking games possible if you have some fancy tech but the game is not looking so good you fail somewhere. For example Rise of the Tomb Raider aren't among the best for materials...

Materials is one of the most important things this gen and it is why I was impressed by The Order 1886, Star Wars Battlefront or AC Unity on PC...

After I find annoying the trashtalking against Quantum Break and one of the best lighting engine and the best effect of any title.

Last edited:

Nobody's perfect and as a matter of fact, you have proved yourself quite ignorant on a lot of techniques that are used in gaming, realtime graphics, making a lot of incorrect and simply irrelevant statements, always pushing on the fact that realtime graphics can never be as good as offline renders. No shit Sherlock!
On top of that, you actively seek these fans' comments and build your whole posts with the premise to bully an excited fan into submission by using examples from the CGI industry.
Completely irrelevant.
Instead of seeking out to bully people, why don't you look at your own history and, basically, stop being an ass?
I've even seen you invoke GAF people/threads/histories on here. This is not the place. Apparently you got banned from there and it's easy to see why, while difficult to understand why it hasn't happened here yet, considering you signed up here with the sole intention to resolve your own personal vendetta from another, completely unrelated, forum. Keep your dirty laundry out of here.

Last edited:
Nobody's perfect and as a matter of fact, you have proved yourself quite ignorant on a lot of techniques that are used in gaming, realtime graphics, making a lot of incorrect and simply irrelevant statements, always pushing on the fact that realtime graphics can never be as good as offline renders. No shit Sherlock!

Can you point out where I was "quite ignorant on a lot of techniques" in gaming? I've only commented on not being an expert at gaming. That doesn't mean I don't know the techniques.

Instead of seeking out to bully people, why don't you look at your own history and, basically, stop being an ass?
I've even seen you invoke GAF people/threads/histories on here. This is not the place. Apparently you got banned from there and it's easy to see why, while difficult to understand why it hasn't happened here yet, considering you signed up here with the sole intention to resolve your own personal vendetta from another, completely unrelated, forum. Keep your dirty laundry out of here.

I've been on these boards since early 2000s. I did NOT come on here to bully excited ND fans into submission.

Why would I be banned on this site or any other? I've not disrespected anyone in any way. "Bulling" people or being a debbie downer, as some put it, is based on their own perspective. Just because you or someone may see my comments that way doesn't mean I should be banned. If everyone gets banned because they have counter arguments to some famed game, how are you not letting others voice their opinions whether they lean to favor a console game or not? That just shows how insecure the fans of said game is. If what I'm saying is wrong or inaccurate, why not challenge my impressions/facts/comments instead of crying for a ban so I can't be heard?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back