Project Cars [PS4, XO]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

This game looks awesome, and now GT and Forza have a new worthy contender. They are improving the damage engine over time, in order to rival those games. The game is developed by Slightly Mad Studios (the developers which created Need for Speed Shift 1 & 2), and on the PC is a completely community driven game --people contribute with builds and liveries and stuff.

Does anyone remember Sierra games? Well, something like that.

It was announced today that the game has been cancelled for the PS3 and X360 so I just thought I would open this up for discussion, given the fact that this is a really cool looking game and unique in its own way.

cars_banner1-1.png

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/06/project-cars-bound-for-xbox-one-playstation-4-and-steam-os/

Slightly Mad Studios, the team behind Project Cars has announced their going around track fast simulation will be going around the track on “next-gen” platforms next year, including the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Steam OS. The team has promised the new console versions will represent “new benchmarks of graphical fidelity and technical power” as team aims to set a “new standard” for car games. Additionally, the team revealed the Steam OS version will include “specific multiplayer and social features” that are apparently only possible on new operating system.

Ian Bell, the head of Slightly Mad Studios said Project Cars “led the pack” in terms of its “insane detail”. More hyperbole below.

Whether that’s graphically in the craftsmanship of our cars and tracks, technically in the way we’ve approached weather and time of day, or emotionally in how each car feels and responds to your touch. These powerful new platforms allow us therefore to not compromise on the quality of our vision and ultimately that means players are going to experience something truly breathtaking when they get behind the wheel.”

Given the game is also releasing for the Wii U sometime next year, I’m not sure if the last sentence doesn’t imply that Nintendo’s latest is not quite up to the task Slightly Mad hoped it was. It’ll be interesting to see how that version stacks up next autumn.
Love its trailer:

At least it is clear what they want to do:

FRANCHISE MODE allows you to carve out a personalized career starting in the Karting world and then progressing on to whichever motorsport specialization you prefer including Rally, Touring Cars, Open-Wheel, GT, Le Mans, and many more!

Play CO-OP with a friend as Driver/Co-Driver

FULL TEAM MANAGEMENT... Have a large number of friends? Create, manage, and compete together!
Experience the excitement of PIT STOPS like you've never seen before!
Revolutionary PIT-2-CAR RADIO gives you the strategic advantage

DYNAMIC Time Of Day & Localized Weather make every race unique and challenging
10+ GAME MODES covering every form of motorsport

CLOUD-BASED SOCIAL NETWORK allows you to connect with friends, compare times & scores, compete and challenge each other, and share content

USER-GENERATED CONTENT - Create your own liveries, decals, tuning setups, and even events! Then share them with the world - either for free, in-game credits or even real money!

PUSHING TO THE LIMITS - Advanced physics, lighting, and AI

Nice, another solid sim racer for consoles.
This one seems to be a tough cookie, and it might be a real alternative to GT and Forza. We shall see. I updated the main post with a screenshot and added some more info.

I wonder how the WiiU version is going to fare. They are also apparently adding some social/multiplayer features for the PC version which are only possible using SteamOS.

No release window ?
Not that I know of. It seems to be 2014 (Fall).

Back in late 2012 they said that the game was scheduled for a console release in mid-2013 but obviously that never came into fruition. They were also considering a PS3 and Xbox 360 release, but that has been scratched out.

I think it's a welcome contender but there is already tough competition in the sim category for consoles. I just hope they'll be able to sell enough copies to make it worthwhile.:eek:

Good decision to scrap the PS3 and 360 versions imo.

Better chance to make a good impression early on (assuming they get the game out son) rather than show a lesser version of the game that might not even compete that well visually on older hardware.

I agree !

It will be difficult to compete with GT6 on PS3 also. They might as well focus on the nextgen consoles.

Since Forza 5 -I am not sure if GT6 includes this car- doesn't feature this incredible car, the Porsche 918, I hope Project Cars does.

This awesome car set a record back in September 2013 in the Nurburgring, with a time of 6:57, reducing the previous record by 14 seconds and never a production car which is also a legal street-car had surpassed the 7 minutes mark.

What's more impressive is that its consumption is just 3.3 Litres every 100Km. :oops:

Yep it's strange that Forza 5 doesn't include any Porsches from what I read, maybe it has something to do with EA having exclusive timed rights or something...who knows?

Yep it's strange that Forza 5 doesn't include any Porsches from what I read, maybe it has something to do with EA having exclusive timed rights or something...who knows?
True, I think Forza 4 had the same issue, but Forza 3 featured plenty of Porsches,iirc.

The amount of strength the driver appears to be using is incredible... lol. Must have to be very strong to be a pro driver :)

Will be good to have a top tier racing sim game on the PC
As mentioned, Project Cars is a PC game being ported to consoles. But there are a few good sims on PC, ie: iRacing, rFactor and Project Cars. GT and Forza have pretty much stood alone in the sim genre on console, so it's nice to get another one.

Im playing pCARS on regular basis, its progress over the last year was phenomenal. This will be great game for consoles [and they are aiming for 60fps for PS4/Xbone].

It's interesting to me that they specifically mention SteamOS, which I presume means the Steam console. Pretty cool that they are supporting that. Game looks cool, will likely get it but I'm skipping their beta's, I'll just wait until it's officially released.

Back