Influences of Favorite Console Religion on Game Perception (containment thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both platforms have their cons and pros, I've been using both for over a decade now, golden mean and all that. You don't want to be a zealot for either side as that is exactly what the companies want you to be; On PC side buying the latest shinny hardware for 4K™ Non-Peasant™ Masterrace™ PC Experience© which is almost never fully utilized and just being replaced (both software [driver support] and hardware) by the new iteration because Nvidia/AMD don't want you to hang on to hardware. And on console side with overpriced games day 1 to pay the MS/Sony loyalty fee and the usual PR hype associated with closed platforms. Better to keep an open mind (as much as you can) and play whatever you want to play, and don't buy corporate bs from either side.

Both platforms have their cons and pros, I've been using both for over a decade now, golden mean and all that. You don't want to be a zealot for either side as that is exactly what the companies want you to be; On PC side buying the latest shinny hardware for 4K™ Non-Peasant™ Masterrace™ PC Experience© which is almost never fully utilized and just being replaced (both software [driver support] and hardware) by the new iteration because Nvidia/AMD don't want you to hang on to hardware. And on console side with overpriced games day 1 to pay the MS/Sony loyalty fee and the usual PR hype associated with closed platforms. Better to keep an open mind (as much as you can) and play whatever you want to play, and don't buy corporate bs from either side.

I wouldn't go in that path to say that all companies don't care.

I feel that on one side there is profit goals yes but there's also game devs that have different goals.

Some are revolutionary/evolutionary thinkers of game design and programming desire to conquer the hardware as best at humanly possible...with their own flaws of course in making games that often get misunderstood by the hardcore/casuals or it appeals to them.

These games become experiences that are either forgettable or memorable or even legendary (mainly referring to skills based games where gameplay mechanics when learned/mastered did not mean you were unfairly beating the game but doing things that seem crazy)

But it's ok to be devoted fans...albeit realistic and grounded in the understanding which I feel beyond3d actually harbors this because most of us understand that consoles have finite resources and console devs have finite time/funding and infinite challenge to bring visions to game form.

I feel PC gaming is also bound by finite resources and finite time.

The poster boy of last gen being Crysis had a long development cycle...with barely a year of final retail Dx10 compliant graphics cards available as well as limitations of beliefs in that although there were dual socket motherboards capable of quad-core processors...such platforms weren't seen as realistic (despite being part of the future) yet many still believe Crysis 1 and Warhead were truly Dx10 games. Which is something that I never read from their dev team. Basically once they targeted their "target estimate hardware" it stayed that way so a quad-core a hexa-core even a GeForce GTX 280 didn't really improve the game because it was all about raw power ramming (along with mind altering marketing evangelism)

Had the consoles been pre-determined for being based on Dx10 hardware GPUs, software and image quality would have been slightly different, specially with custom coding specific to each hardware.

Games regardless of platform still take an average of 2+ years to make specially if said dev team is also making their own tools or 3d engine systems.

That's something that PC gaming masterrace are often clueless about. Hence the best way to clear the console scapegoating is by pointing that out along with times having changed.

I've been gaming on PCs myself and often had debates in person with friends back in the late 90s early 2000s although the argument was that Sega's Model 3 and NaOmi 1/2 hardware boasted different genres but amazing complex graphics and physics which was often dismissed by "PCs being superior and if a game was made it could..."

By no means is PC an inferior experience because both are different and a lot of effort is going on to get those different visions.

The marketing in consoles is just not the same as PCs as I mentioned...it's centered more on the games and effective marketing. Last gen price wasn't the only reason people left or shied away from buying a PS3 when the Xbox 360 wasn't perfect. Many of the reasons lay with Sony not effectively marketing and informing gamers on why and how to use the new features or what features there were.

Stuff like BC was taken for granted...then when it was taken away to cut costs people freaked out.

So again it's fine to still be a die hard fan...the problem is the misguided comparisons to devalue one game and it's hardware and efforts which is why this thread had to have an outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back