Next Gen launch games prediction thread

DoctorFouad

Newcomer
Most probably at least one next gen console would be released for the fall 2013 season (xboxnext), the ps4 could also be released at the same timeline or close to it. What are your predictions regarding nextgen launch game titles. Launch games have always been a great moment of gaming, some of the greatest franchises in gaming were born with new console hardware. Which games or genres do you expect this time around ?

My predictions for xboxnext launch games :
- No new Halo launch game;
- No new gears of war game;
- a new Forza racing game is in the cooking;
- certainly a new deal has been signed with Epic to produce something a la gears of war, and to test the new unreal engine 4 for consoles.

My predictions for ps4 launch games :
- a naughty dog uncharted 4 (ps4, uncharted 4, thats good for marketing !)
- a new franchise from guerilla studios (most probably a new fps or a cover based third person shooter a la geras of war)
- no gran turismo game (kazunori yamauchi and his team have a very bad record meeting deadlines , sony cant count on them for a launch game)
- Maybe also a God of War 4 from santa monica, if naughty dog is not ready with its uncharted 4. or even a killzone 4. But at least God of war4, uncharted 4 or killzone 4 would be ready by ps4 launch.

Well your PS4 list is pretty impossible to happen except Guerilla's next IP...there's no way a Naughty Dog or a Polyphony title will make it in time but even if the games will be ready I doubt they'll "burn" such big titles as UC4 or GT6 for the PS4 launch. :p

Here are my predictions anyway..

Next Xbox:

Forza 5 (and that's debatable)
A game from Rare (probably a Kinect 2.0 "show the tech" title a la Kinect Sports/Nintendoland)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4
Star Wars: 1313
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed: Next Spinoff
Annual releases like FIFA, Need for Speed, NBA 2K e.t.c.

PS4:

Guerilla's new IP (also a big maybe)
Evolution's next IP
A Move 2.0 title or whatever gimmick the console will have
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4
Star Wars: 1313
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed: Next Spinoff
Annual releases like FIFA, Need for Speed, NBA 2K e.t.c.

In other words I don't expect to see many first/second party titles in the launch of the next gen systems, they will probably keep them for a later release where a good exclusive game will matter more (see Gears of War 1 or Uncharted 1). In fact I bet both launch line-ups will be pretty similar and pretty underwhelming as third party exclusives are a thing from the past. :p

Oh I suspect we are going to see a new wipeout title even though studio liverpool is supposed to be closed down ;)
One of the Wipeout soundtrack composers is "maybe" working on the soundtrack of a next gen game. But I dont really know what game that is for sure. But I hope Wipeout is not dead yet

I would add Sucker Punch and Media Molecule to that list, as well. I think they have both been working on new IPs yet be revealed.

i am not so suer that GG, SP will bring new IPs, I am geussing both Sonyand MS will stick to sequels to get people to buy their new platforms. A Uncharted 4, Killzone 4, GOW4, HALO5, Gears 4, MGS5 will pull more gamers than say Doomsday SHooter ShinyNew

i am not so suer that GG, SP will bring new IPs, I am geussing both Sonyand MS will stick to sequels to get people to buy their new platforms. A Uncharted 4, Killzone 4, GOW4, HALO5, Gears 4, MGS5 will pull more gamers than say Doomsday SHooter ShinyNew

While that is a good strategy, I don't see Sony giving studios long vacations. Sucker Punch hasn't mentioned anything for over 1.5 years. It will be around 2.5 years by the time of the rumored release of next-gen. I think it's reasonable to expect something from them, by then. We already know MM is doing an undisclosed new game. We just don't know if it's for next-gen or not.

Cannot have a console launch without a new Ridge Racer.

Presumably Sony no longer has the cache to force a Fantavision II upon retailers?

Cheers

Project Gotham Racing 5 made by Playground Games with the assist of Turn10.
Every new XBOX console should have a Gotham racer .

While that is a good strategy, I don't see Sony giving studios long vacations. Sucker Punch hasn't mentioned anything for over 1.5 years. It will be around 2.5 years by the time of the rumored release of next-gen. I think it's reasonable to expect something from them, by then. We already know MM is doing an undisclosed new game. We just don't know if it's for next-gen or not.

I am not saying they won't make games, , I just think they must be working on sequels rather than new IPs as sequels guarantee fan audience for the new console. Same game , new visuals, only possible on new consoles ! Fans of the game, built with millions in marketing in this gen, Sony or MS would like to have them again.

I am not saying they won't make games, , I just think they must be working on sequels rather than new IPs as sequels guarantee fan audience for the new console. Same game , new visuals, only possible on new consoles ! Fans of the game, built with millions in marketing in this gen, Sony or MS would like to have them again.

I think they will start with both. I'm thinking it depends on whatever they were working on at the time. If it was a sequel, it'll likely be released for PS4. If it was a new IP, it will likely hit the PS4, as well.

On GAF, it was said that Ready at Dawn is working on a new PS4 title. I still think Last Guardian was pushed to PS4, due to the technical problems they were having.

Frankly speaking, if the next gen games cannot outdo Cryengine PC shots, I wonder if I will be that impressed. I know great art can do wonders, but I really hope we don't get something which is already achievable on PCs.

But I guess thats asking a lot, cos PCs have moved far ahead now, but then there isn't really any game out there taking full advantage of the hardwares out there. If nothing else, atleast games will catch-up with the PC hardware when the next gen consoles arrive.

Also, I really hope PS4 or X720 isn't just another PC, but something special like the Cell or something new which can be maxed out years later and not within a few months of launch. But Sony has abandoned Cell(just when dev's engines are getting warmed up to it) and I don't think MS cares about any such thing.

The only thing I'm thinking that hasn't been mentioned is Crytek's exclusive title for Xbox. I suppose it's still possible that it'll come out on X360, but I'd think it far more likely that it'll end up being a possible launch title for the next Xbox.

Regards,
SB

Back