Influences of Favorite Console Religion on Game Perception (containment thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiter

Veteran
On PS3/ Xbox 360 I did not think that Uncharted would put everything in the shade on consoles. Their (in my opinion) technically strongest year was 2009 with Uncharted 2 on the PS3 (next to GG with Killzone 2). Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us were technically not superior against some other games to me .

As for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, I see it is currently as the number 1 title (but of course it can not lead anywhere). Like I said, with Uncharted 4 Naughty Dog moves more in the direction which I prefer. Its a lot more dynamic.

EDIT:
Next time when I am there, the sun is in the right position and the weather is good, I can take a FullHD screenshot.

If the demos of gameplay and graphics are on par with what's been shown lately, I would be in the strongly disagree camp. UC4 seems like it plays very similar to the other UC games. Graphics-wise it's basically on par with what's out now. A lot of PS4 fans love to show the ingame cinematics when touting that UC4 is mind-blowing, but for real -- it's all about what can render on the screen with full control of the camera, which disqualifies any in-game cinematics for judging graphics imo. Animation is incredible in the game though.
I wasn't talking about cut scenes though.
What impresses me the most are all the tiny details. Like every object reacting to the action around it. The new climbing mechanics that allow control of both arms. The advancement in AI and the fact that the player has more control in the big action sequences. I'm not saying UC4 does everything better than all other games. I'm saying it has a combo of great things putting it above others. Oh and I am mainly a Xbox player this gen.

It is imo always a good sign for a game when people who want to demonstrate that its graphics are absolute average and nothing special use PC screenshots at ultra settings in 4k to make their point :mrgreen:

In this sense, well done ND.

You can compare console games too and make the same argument.

Some people argue aesthetics (i.e. Far Cry Primal's art direction) while others argue actual graphics features. Claiming UC4 to be the holy grail of graphics simply because it's Naughty Dog that implemented the game is complete fanboism. There is nothing over-the-top about the game visually accept the superb animation and excellent attention to detail which is quite obviously done extremely well. MGS5 excels extremely well with natural lighting. I've yet to see any game come so close to the actual physical representation of light's flux per unit solid angle. The light bouncing off of surfaces just "looks" correct. However, it fails at tessellation or variety of assets or soft-shadow casting local light sources and little subtle details (particles are missing, water looks rough, etc.).

Reiterating again, no game does it right on all fronts (not even 50%), so companies choose which aspect to concentrate resources on.

Last edited:
You can compare console games too and make the same argument.

Some people argue aesthetics (i.e. Far Cry Primal's art direction) while others argue actual graphics features. Claiming UC4 to be the holy grail of graphics simply because it's Naughty Dog that implemented the game is complete fanboism. There is nothing over-the-top about the game visually accept the superb animation and excellent attention to detail which is quite obviously done extremely well. MGS5 excels extremely well with natural lighting. I've yet to see any game come so close to the actual physical representation of light's flux per unit solid angle. The light bouncing off of surfaces just "looks" correct. However, it fails at tessellation or variety of assets or soft-shadow casting local light sources and little subtle details (particles are missing, water looks rough, etc.).

Reiterating again, no game does it right on all fronts (not even 50%), so companies choose which aspect to concentrate resources on.

Are you nuts? It was just a remark about the choice of your ugly screenshot and I said exactly the same things than you. Every games is a compromise and for example the number of shadow is something where UC4 excels comparable to PC games(using a clever temporal reconstruction trick...), animation, physics...

After it does some other things as good as other title or sometimes less good like every title...

Last edited:
The streaming engine is probably very good too, the pursuit car is impressive...

Last edited:
Are you nuts or stupid? It was just a remark about the choice of your ugly screenshot and I said exactly the same things than you. Every games is a compromise and for example the number of shadow is something where UC4 excels comparable to PC games(using a clever temporal reconstruction trick...), animation, physics...

After it does some other things as good as other title or sometimes less good like every title...

Personal insults? Nice!

I ignore your list of features because guess what? You don't have the game in your hands. You can't tell me what is "canned/hand drawn" and what is actually being pushed through the entire pipeline and rendered to the pixel. Let's keep the "based-on-screenshots-and-videos-UC4-is-the-best-graphical-showcase-of-all-time" until we actually can play it.

TO1886, Paragon or UC4 same choice GI is baked, clever choice no TOD or weather changing.

Drive Club, Quantum Break, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Tomorrow Children dynamic GI because TOD and it is clever too...

Different constraint different choice... Quantum Break succeed to be in 720p and without jaggies problem. It is pretty clean just a little blurry...

Last edited:
Personal insults? Nice!

I ignore your list of features because guess what? You don't have the game in your hands. You can't tell me what is "canned/hand drawn" and what is actually being pushed through the entire pipeline and rendered to the pixel. Let's keep the "based-on-screenshots-and-videos-UC4-is-the-best-graphical-showcase-of-all-time" until we actually can play it.

We have many videos and I was in the two UC4 MP beta...;)

But troll gonna troll.:mrgreen:

Hmm, okay. If i like something about U4 that i don't see in many games is the push for advanced shaders and translucent materials specifically, let's take this scene for example (gameplay)

1j4jtw.jpg

What i'm looking at is the purple curtains and the chandeliers. I feel like the game does some things better than most games nowadays, even if it's not pushing everything forward.

Closeup in other set of curtains just moments before gameplay (cutscene to gameplay transition)
2kajo2.jpg

But it's better to wait for the game to come out first before we have this discussion imo. All we can do right now is comment on months old footage which isn't a very smart thing to do in the gaming industry at least.

Last edited:
And for information if I have to give two unreleased most impressive games it is UC4 and Quantum Break...

Just behind Horizon Zero Dawn.

And the two most impressive released games in my opinion The Order 1886 and Star War Battlefront.

Just behind maybe Drive Club just for the weather feature even if it is from middleware company Tru Sky. ..

Dice, Remedy, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla are among the best...

Last edited:
PS: btw, where is L.Scofield? Everytime someone says positive things about graphics of a Sony exclusive we have VFX jumping around the corner (check) and typically L.Scofield as well...I am so used to it that I miss him now! Lol?!?
Fear not, I'm back to quench your anguish! :LOL:

Yet another example of incredible draw distance in U4
1qek2h.jpg

I mean, even that thing in the distance, whatever that is, has a shadow
2dvkhi.jpg

What's impressive about a completely barren landscape?

Also, what's with the RotTR comparisons? What's the big deal about beating a cross-gen game?

As for the jeep picking bounce lighting, even Conker on the Xbox 1 did stuff like that pfff

http://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/cs/Education/EDAN35/lectures/Stefanov10-gi-in-games-notes.pdf

There's nothing barren about it, Halo 5 and MGSV is the very definition of outdoor barren landscape. You can clearly see tons of vegetation, wildlife and hills across the view, not to mention all rendered with volumetric lighting fogging and shadow. Also this is the nature of the African tundra, it's not a jungle, if you think UC4's engine is incapable of rendering dense geometry then you've clearly forgotten the PSX demo.

The fact that ppl are going crazy proves the game looks stellar :LOL: ! @VFX : SSS gameplay gifs are everywhere, ear and hair displaying SSS.

How come crysis isn't here yet? OH wait, thats for GG game thread, thats where Crysis comes out. ( Oh boy the memories of Crysis, though ! :love: Those days of PC gaming are just gone when u had to upgrade for every other game !)

Each time ND releases a game I worry it will be a rehash of their last game and each time ND surprises me with aqdditions to its gameplay and with even more interesting characters. This time I won't doubt them, I have my pre order ready for preload :cool: !

Also, what's with the RotTR comparisons? What's the big deal about beating a cross-gen game?

You missed the point, the comparison isn't with RotTR specifically but games on high-end PCs running at maxed out settings and still having problems with draw distance (shadow/lod rendering) for close proximity objects, games like The Witcher 3, AC:Unity, AC:Syndicate, RotTR and the list goes on. Running on a much more powerful CPU/GPU setup than a Ps4 and having more problems than U4 does with lod streaming and rendering distant shadows. I know, personal bias and all, you can't really praise ND for anything, but at least avoid the argument all together.

And draw distance, and trackside details, and perfect framerate, and natural lighting, things that are missing in 99% of racing games.

two non photomode pre race shots just for the beauty of the landscape

http://i.imgur.com/C92Xzww.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/awOTks9.jpg

The game is beautiful, lightning too. I remember one of my first race in India just before dawn, the visibility affected by the sun like in no other car game and without knowing very well th course...

But the weather is so special...

There's nothing barren about it, Halo 5 and MGSV is the very definition of outdoor barren landscape. You can clearly see tons of vegetation, wildlife and hills across the view, not to mention all rendered with volumetric lighting fogging and shadow. Also this is the nature of the African tundra, it's not a jungle, if you think UC4's engine is incapable of rendering dense geometry then you've clearly forgotten the PSX demo.
I think to have a stronger argument you need to be more selective about your choices, not sure why you would bring Halo 5 into a debate: it is a non contest to bring in a dedicated 60 FPS shooter designed for multiplayer.

Even at that I'm unsure if you actually remember how good Halo 5 looked. In the background there are actually a great deal of a number of things happening, battles or what not. Most people aren't looking though.

I think to have a stronger argument you need to be more selective about your choices, not sure why you would bring Halo 5 into a debate: it is a non contest to bring in a dedicated 60 FPS shooter designed for multiplayer.

Even at that I'm unsure if you actually remember how good Halo 5 looked. In the background there are actually a great deal of a number of things happening, battles or what not. Most people aren't looking though.
Just trying to illustrate my definition of being barren and regardless of the fps, what's on screen is on screen. I'm in no way to undermine the effort been put into Halo 5 for it to be 60fps but you can clearly see the sacrifice made to the detail.
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/todd...ign-FP-Glassed-Nothing-Personal-1940x1091.jpg
To say that UC4's screen being barren is just utter bollocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back