Project Cars [PS4, XO]

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-Release-notes&p=960164&viewfull=1#post960164

hm...

* PS4 - Anisotropic filtering has been increased to help reduce blurry textures.
* PS4 - Temporal anti-aliasing has been further optimized. This reduces the ghosting effect and additionaly gives the player full control via a slider to tweak the resulting image according to personal preference.

Performance improvements
* Xbox One - Various performance optimizations, adding up to an average of 5-6% performance improvement. This results in an overall smoother experience.
* PS4 - All shaders have been rebuilt using new shader compiler, giving a significant performance boost in some areas.
* PS4 - CPU performance gains due to new more aggressive code optimisations.

Other fixes are listed therein.

Forgot the most important one @AlNets!

* Game Pad - Tilt Control support implemented to allow controller tilt to be used to control the vehicles.

May have to buy the PS4 version as well now ...

EDIT:
* Improved force feedback strength and tweaked the default force feedback parameters for all supported wheels based on community feedback.

This was a big issue for me personally, look forward to testing the difference.

Last edited:
I have a proper enough Logitech wheel and a PC that runs the game better. Another wheel won't be bought for a while, until perhaps a second PS4 arrives in the study. But I like gyro controls in DriveClub so much that I want to support any game that does the same.

* PS4 - Anisotropic filtering has been increased to help reduce blurry textures.

I knew it! the PS4 game was indeed suffering from the infamous #PS4noAF disease!

* PS4 - All shaders have been rebuilt using new shader compiler, giving a significant performance boost in some areas.

What? That's new. I think it's the first time we get a direct (and precise) confirmation that Sony (too) is improving its API. I mean, only if Sony can provide a shader compiler, right?

EDIT: I just read the whole patch 1.4. Wow, they've being really busy, there is a lot of meaningful stuff right there!

Last edited:
I knew it! the PS4 game was indeed suffering from the infamous #PS4noAF disease!

What? That's new. I think it's the first time we get a direct (and precise) confirmation that Sony (too) is improving its API. I mean, only if Sony can provide a shader compiler, right?

EDIT: I just read the whole patch 1.4. Wow, they've being really busy, there is a lot of meaningful stuff right there!
Indeed. In another thread sebbbi talked about how AMDs compiler required improvement. I was hoping he would elaborate if that applied to console as well but this sheds some light in that area.

Forgot the most important one @AlNets!

May have to buy the PS4 version as well now ...

EDIT:

This was a big issue for me personally, look forward to testing the difference.
So you are starting to truly enjoy the game. Good to hear. It's quite difficult for me to watch videos of friends playing the game in my feed and knowing that I won't buy it, 'cos it's a nice game to have, but first is first, buying a new HD to install games.

On a different note, I wanted to share this because I think this is curious/interesting news. The list of the 30 fastest cars of the world and their record lap times around The Nurburgring:

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/revealed-the-fastest-30-cars-around-the-nurburgring/

Actually and to be honest, no, I am not yet enjoying the game. I'm going to reevaluate the game when 1.4 comes out and see what they've done to the force feedback, to see if that helps. Right now I am not pleased with how the wheel feels yet - this is the most important thing for me. I'm however curious if the gyro controls are good, I might actually enjoy the game more on PS4, who knows. And I am serious - this is my favorite genre, so I am willing to support this developer, because this is a great project, and a great achievement.

Friend of mine (also a big racing fan) thinks it's great right now already though, he has much worse hardware, but a newer wheel (G27). It may win my heart yet, but right now I'm waiting for that new patch.

Actually and to be honest, no, I am not yet enjoying the game. I'm going to reevaluate the game when 1.4 comes out and see what they've done to the force feedback, to see if that helps. Right now I am not pleased with how the wheel feels yet - this is the most important thing for me. I'm however curious if the gyro controls are good, I might actually enjoy the game more on PS4, who knows. And I am serious - this is my favorite genre, so I am willing to support this developer, because this is a great project, and a great achievement.

Friend of mine (also a big racing fan) thinks it's great right now already though, he has much worse hardware, but a newer wheel (G27). It may win my heart yet, but right now I'm waiting for that new patch.

You are worrying me. I intend to buy this game later (I was waiting for the TAA toggle/slider patch and anyway right now I am completely immersed into TW3 world...) what's wrong with the controls? Or is it just with the wheel? Because I think you like Driveclub sim & arcade controls...

As usual I am going to play with a DS4, how are the controls with a gamepad? compared to Gran turismo and Driveclub for instance? Are the controls 'analog' enough even with a gamepad? can you control with subtlety when you turn or is it an old D-pad controls quickly ported to the analog stick kind of thing?

You are worrying me. I intend to buy this game later (I was waiting for the TAA toggle/slider patch and anyway right now I am completely immersed into TW3 world...) what's wrong with the controls? Or is it just with the wheel? Because I think you like Driveclub sim & arcade controls...

As usual I am going to play with a DS4, how are the controls with a gamepad? compared to Gran turismo and Driveclub for instance? Are the controls 'analog' enough even with a gamepad? can you control with subtlety when you turn or is it an old D-pad controls quickly ported to the analog stick kind of thing?
He gave some hints as to why he likes and dislikes about the game before. Other people consider Project Cars a supreme racing sim, and one of the best to date, simulation wise. What's clear is that now the racing sim options are widening, fortunately, I guess.

patch 1.04 is out ... didn't have time to play much, but with temporal setting at 0 there is no double image

Nice. If you can do me a favor and try if gyro steering works? ;)

EDIT: Very quick impression on the PC update (if it is indeed live as it says it is) is that the force feedback feels better, but I'm not sure yet if that's just my saved settings for this car or not. Will try more later.

Last edited:
Gamersyde has a bunch of PS4 videos (with '30 AI minimum') after patch with framerate counter. Framerate is quite solid now, even with 30+ cars and rain/rain+night. GAF members are also noticing the improved AF and ghosting is gone with the slider set to 0. Playing with the controller is also improved.

Kudos to SMS!

Gamersyde has a bunch of PS4 videos (with '30 AI minimum') after patch with framerate counter. Framerate is quite solid now, even with 30+ cars and rain/rain+night. GAF members are also noticing the improved AF and ghosting is gone with the slider set to 0. Playing with the controller is also improved.

Kudos to SMS!

We don't know really how good the improvements are because their tool can't detect torn frames and this game isn't vsynced.
Blim's plugin can't handle tearing yet, so it doesn't show when a frame is not refreshed at 100%.

They really shouldn't use their plugin on games that are not vsynced like Project Cars.

I'm glad they allow players to get rid of that ghosting. The PS4's IQ is now at a place it deserves. They also added proper motion blur this time around (at least they now seem to have set it to something that effects the road-side objects). The default value seems to be a good compromise between ghosting and reducing shimmer if they really really have to include it at all. That type of temporal AA shouldn't have existed. Yet of course majority didn't even have problems with it, meaning 60fps lets you get away with a lot of bad looking effects as long as they stay on the screen for 60th of a second :D

"Lowering this setting to zero has an interesting side-effect though. The lower you go on the temporal AA slider, the higher the intensity of the velocity-based motion blur on the camera. Essentially, the slider affects two settings at once: temporal AA and motion blur. If you turn temporal AA off entirely you remove the double-image, but the motion blur effect increases to maximum behind the scenes. This brings results closer to Xbox One, which never had the temporal AA filter but used the full extent of the motion blur effect. At an in-between number like 20, you get a mixture of the two.

However, you may want to avoid dropping it all the way to zero: doing so causes the PS4 to take a frame-rate hit. Based on our analysis, you get better a frame-rate so long as the temporal filter is enabled at any value - whether that's one, 20 or 100. In one test on the Azure Coast track with 20 cars and clear weather, keeping the temporal filter at 20 gives us a clear frame-rate advantage of 3-4fps across the race when compared to a race with the effect switched off."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...cars-patch-104-boosts-visuals-and-runs-faster

"Lowering this setting to zero has an interesting side-effect though. The lower you go on the temporal AA slider, the higher the intensity of the velocity-based motion blur on the camera. Essentially, the slider affects two settings at once: temporal AA and motion blur. If you turn temporal AA off entirely you remove the double-image, but the motion blur effect increases to maximum behind the scenes. This brings results closer to Xbox One, which never had the temporal AA filter but used the full extent of the motion blur effect. At an in-between number like 20, you get a mixture of the two.

However, you may want to avoid dropping it all the way to zero: doing so causes the PS4 to take a frame-rate hit. Based on our analysis, you get better a frame-rate so long as the temporal filter is enabled at any value - whether that's one, 20 or 100. In one test on the Azure Coast track with 20 cars and clear weather, keeping the temporal filter at 20 gives us a clear frame-rate advantage of 3-4fps across the race when compared to a race with the effect switched off."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...cars-patch-104-boosts-visuals-and-runs-faster

That's odd. Could it be a bug? Does someone has a tentative explanation that could explain it?

By the way @novcze , what TAA setting do you prefer?

Back