GemhisKhan 2014 (All Companies)

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shortbread, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Rockster

Regular

And maybe I would add the Escapists to that. But an ex-amiga junkie like me is soft for anything Team-17. :)

2. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

When did this happen? :shock:

I must get home to download the demo...

3. -tkf-

Legend

Didn't he say within 3 years..? To me it was a big non announcement. And he did say consoles afaik.

What I found very positive about the Sony presentation was the large amount of different quirky games instead of the same old classic genres.

Microsoft also had a strong presentation, quantum being my favorite, it had that infamous vibe.

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Sony did have a lot of quirky little games but indies aren't getting me excited mostly cause it seems those are the free games you will eventually get free with subscription to a service. The exceptions for me are below and no man sky.

Sony disappointed me greatly with again a lack of last guardian . I really wish
    both companies had more for the end of the year.

5. messyman

Regular

It's OK. TLG will be at TGS.

#keephopealive

6. -tkf-

Legend

They had big AAA production quirky titles, not just indie.

7. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Perhaps the lack of posting during the conference was due to it's timing? Here in the UK it was early afternoon when many, like myself, were working. I've not seen it yet but will watch it tonight.

Yeah, I've played a fair bit of DayZ and unpolished is how I'd describe it. But it was a surprise to see the DayZ creator on stage. Sony have already announced their own survival/scavenger zombie first person shooter (H1Z1) so fair play to them for promoting the competition instead of their own studio's offering.

8. temesgen

Veteran Regular

I still need to see MS conference but was slightly encouraged by the Sony showing. E3 from my perspective was depressing, developers were largely showing off check box style games, taking too few chances and rehashing old IPs. Some of the titles shown seemed to be breaking out a bit and the overall production quality seemed pretty high especially for the indie titles shown.

Edit:

any links to the MS conference are appreciated

9. Rangers

Legend

This Gamescom definitely kicked the crap out of any other Gamescom I remember. Maybe it was lowered expectations partly, but still. Exceeded my expectations already easily.

Maybe since GDC seems to be getting lesser in terms of gaming news (it's always had this uneasy backlash at being a news event) this can become more of a true secondary E3 type event.

And still have The Division showing at least, upcoming yet.

10. zed

zed
    Veteran

nice one man your're one of the few ppl I notice here, got any links that give a summary of what happened? (just for us that don't really pay attentionlike we would of back in the 80s (sigh) )

11. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Everyone's gonna have to quit with the acronyms; what the hell is PT and where did it come from??

I didn't see the conference, thought I'd check here for the updates...

12. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It wasn't shown in the conference other than video of players' reactions. It was revealed as an interactive trailer. ie. You had to download and experience it on PS4. There were zero details (other than it's scary based on the screaming players) and the name was on given as P.T., no doubt to help preserve the mystery.

13. holsty101

Regular

PT was a teaser for Silent Hills, from Kojima & Guillermo del Toro :D

14. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

I had no idea what Silent Hill was, never played that series.

This thing really scared the shit out of me. PT probably means Post-Traumatic. :lol:

15. DSoup

DSoup meh

Same. I had an ex who played it but can't remember much from watching her years and years ago. But I saw the movies so as soon I saw the
    baby in the sink with the same creepy formless shape
    it immediately made me think of Silent Hill but I didn't make the connection.
    Yeah. Had I gone into the demo knowing what it was I would have been mentally prepared, but I wasn't. It worked so much better with zero frame of reference when wandering around :yes:

16. ToTTenTranz

PT stands for Playable Teaser.
    Of course, they didn't want people to know what is was about, in the beginning.

17. upnorthsox

Veteran

So no word on Journey? That's personally a little disappointing for me as I haven't played it yet. I still hope its coming to ps4

18. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

They announced PS4 versions of both Journey and Unfinished Swan prior to the press conference.

19. upnorthsox

Veteran

Cool, must've nissed it in all the TR hullabaloo.

20. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber