GemhisKhan 2014 (All Companies)

Oh dear. They are still at it. But I here you cry the Xbox is right there so it cannot be running on a pc. (I believe this was the consensus last time)
This seems to happen so much now that I'm no longer surprised. It's probably just easier for developers/publishers to bring a PC setup which has a bespoke demo build, rather than mess around with an actual console.

Particularly for Xbox which has a lot more in common with Windows but I don't, for a second, doubt that some 'real PS4' footage is a PC running linux.

Why would it run Linux? Ps4 devkits run Windows 7
The PS4 and all it's APIs run on linux. I've not read a single account of PS4 games running under Windows even in the developer environment.

For that to be possible, Sony would have to write GNM and GNMX low-level graphics drivers for Windows. Along with every other linux APIs that are exposed to games but which differ from Windows' APIs.

The PS4 and all it's APIs run on linux. I've not read a single account of PS4 games running under Windows even in the developer environment.

For that to be possible, Sony would have to write GNM and GNMX low-level graphics drivers for Windows. Along with every other linux APIs that are exposed to games but which differ from Windows' APIs.

It's was from vgleaks last year.

I've heard reports on the web that PS4 games are developed via Visual Studio, and that it's integration was done better than for Xbox One.

We know the PS4 toolchain has Visual Studio (2010 and 2012) at it's core because Sony have published this at developer conferences, but developing on a platform and running target binaries on that development platform, are two very different things.

May be Sony's tools allow full (or rudimentary) execution of PS4 games under Windows, but I've never seen this stated claimed or even rumoured. I think perhaps some are getting confused with "PS4 games" (note significant air quotes) crashing to Windows. What you're seeing a Windows build, being controlled with a DualShock 4, crashing to Windows.

I'm open minded but skeptical. I just can't see it being worth Sony's time. Build on Windows, transfer to the PS4 devkit, run on real hardware with exactly the target platform's performance, with debug info going back to Windows for realtime viewing.

I was very shocked to see that even though QB is a single player linear shooter the scale of that city in that gameplay demo looks so good. Here is the GC video from Remedy's live demo. Notice how nice the city looks when he's on the catwalk looking around.
I think it's quite hard to tell. The Uncharted series and The Last of Us look to have massive levels but there's quite a few smoke and mirrors that keep the traversable environments in check. In the QB gameplay footage I've seen, which looks to be the same one you've linked too, it looks like a building (where he starts), a yard (where he shoots things), and a climb to a bridge where he shoots a few more things.

It looks open but may not be. I take nothing for granted these days.

Like I said it's not an open world game but the environment is big and detailed when viewed from the catwalk. I never said you could "go" to those areas...just saying it's a very nicely detailed landscape. Much better art than most city games open or not. When he's on the catwalk you could see to the left is the dock/ocean which looks very nice artistically.

My bad - didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

Mind you, the detail in games which look open world aren't looking vastly better (IMHO obviously) than true open world games like inFamous Second Son and Watch_Dogs. And I'm not usually one to pay attention to rumours, but those who've glimpsed GTA V on nextgen, have been blown away.

But QB does look good and I also like the art style :)

I've finally seen the Microsoft conference. Footie games aren't my thing but liked the segment with Peter Schmeichel picking his ultimate team.

On the indie side, Ghost of a Tale really stood out for me and Space Engineers looks very cool indeed. Super Hot looks super interesting but I'm not fan of the art style. The Escapists also looks interesting but I'll be grabbing this on Steam Early Access in four days :) Ori and the Blind Forest looks gorgeous too!

COD:AW is looking more appealing but it's a far cry from the promised next gen game engine. Prime example, the dudes are leaping from car to truck to cross the bridge (the mech ability looks very like the Crysis jump mechanic) and firing rockets into the enemies who are hiding before cars, but the explosions only affect the enemies and not any of the vehicles. It's like they're nailed down. Not cool.

Also so unbelivably disappointed with the Rise of the Tomb Raider thing - all they showed was a couple of still images? No trailer, no footage? And that caused the fanboy meltdown? Dear God! Still looking forward to the game though, based on last year's reboot :)

Quantum Break finally makes more sense as there's any commentary that wasn't present in the video I saw. Forza Horizon 2 is very appealing. I like driving games that are pure fun to drive - I really loved driving around the perimeter of GTA V's world because it felt great in a fast car and I think FH2 will work for me like that.

I was quite disappointed in the Halo 2 campaign remaster. I don't know what I was expecting but I was expecting something more impressive, graphically. I don't know how the commentator could say "you're able to relive all those great memories you had of this game but with a completely nextgen experience". Meh. It barely looks last gen (Xbox 360).

I'm not crazed on the pricing on the console bundles. For £349 I can get a 500Gb black One with FIFA or 500Gb white One with Sunset Overdrive. If I want 1Tb (which I do) I need to spent £429 for the COD:AW console which I do not like. I really hope they release a black or white One with 1Tb

Now for the Sony conference, which I only caught bits of pieces of what with making dinner and a few streaming hitches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why it takes so long for Sony to incorporate some simple media features. The OS takes around half of the memory available yet there are too many missing functions. The OS barely shows its potential and barely uses its resources productively.
I really miss the media functions of the PS3. The PS4 would run them even more flawlessly. I was trying to view some youtube videos and the browser isnt that user friendly. It needs a youtube app, DLNA, keyboard/mouse support and the ability to play movie files. I wanted to play some movies/videos yesterday and I really missed the function. I had to switch off my PS4 and switch on my PS3 to do something so simple.
I was waiting from Sony to announced more for the 2.00 FW but it is still atrocious. MS is moving the right direction with the media features and I am pretty sure there are many people who refrained from buying a PS4 because its still not there yet.
The PS3 was one brilliant media device

I wonder why it takes so long for Sony to incorporate some simple media features. The OS takes around half of the memory available yet there are too many missing functions. The OS barely shows its potential and barely uses its resources productively.
If I was to take a punt, it's because Sony are busy working on a virtual machine environment compatible with that on their AV equipment (many of which already has DNLA and other media functions) so that their existing media software code can run without changes.

My previous (2009 model) Bravia had better media support than the PlayStation 4, as does my current (2014 Model) Bravia. Sony have been running a unix/linux variant on some of their medium/high-end AV equipment for some time. You can google guides to root some Sony TVs and install modified linux distros' so you can install XBMC and other apps on the TV itself.

Sony have been running a unix/linux variant on some of their medium/high-end AV equipment for some time. You can google guides to root some Sony TVs and install modified linux distros' so you can install XBMC and other apps on the TV itself.
We live in strange times.

I

My previous (2009 model) Bravia had better media support than the PlayStation 4, as does my current (2014 Model) Bravia. Sony have been running a unix/linux variant on some of their medium/high-end AV equipment for some time. You can google guides to root some Sony TVs and install modified linux distros' so you can install XBMC and other apps on the TV itself.

Oh is there a site you recommend for that'? If yes PM me :)

Back