The Annual E3 General Discussion press conference thread, 2018 edition

So ToTTenTranz wasn't being accurate. This discussion is about the message Sony presented in their conference that contributors sat and watched.
(...)
I'm confused. In the conference, was there just one VR game shown or were there lots?
This is going into semantics, but what is shown in the conference (E3) isn't only what is shown on stage.
On stage only Trove was shown. The conference proceeded with a roundtable where they showed and discussed From Software's Déraciné and later on a demo reel with all the PSVR games of 2018 and onwards, of which 8 games are yet to be released.

Which is why my back-of-the-envelope stats allowed for 25% of the market to be interested in these AAA titles - it's still a small niche.
25% of PS4's current player base is 20 Million people.
How is a TAM of 20 Million a small niche?
What do you call the target audience of any exclusive game being developed for the Switch (which has close to but less than 20 Million console sales)?

I don't know what this means.
Your sentence was "These AAA blockbuster titles are a small niche."
This is all about semantics again, but the definition of a blockbuster is a work of entertainment that is highly popular and financially successful. If it's highly popular then it's the opposite of something that ends up in a small niche.
IMO you can call HZD, GoW, Ghost of Tsushima, TLoU2, Kingdom Hearts 3, etc. as a product for a niche (i.e. it has a targeted and focused audience) but in no terms could you call it small when their sales usually go well beyond 5 Million units.
Which leads to another subject you brought up earlier, which is:

Nothing wrong with 4 big exclusives. What's wrong IMO is not showing a compelling library that has a decent chunk of something for everyone. But again, maybe it was a very specific message for the audience Sony thinks they have at E3?
This may very well be the case.
The winners of E3 have traditionally been the ones who show more and better looking/sounding games to their core audiences. The only exception I can remember was E3 2006 when the Wii became a pop culture phenomenon.
So why show off e.g. sports games, racing simulations, side-scrolling platformers, etc. if your success will be measured on the amount of cool core games you show?

If we want to evaluate presentations with "something for everyone", look no further that this year's Electronic Arts presentation. They had Battlefield V (multiplayer FPS), FIFA & NBA & Madden 19 (sports), Unravel 2 (sidescroller), Sea of Solitude (third person platformer with unconventional art style), Anthem (FPS Destiny-like MOBA), and even an Android/iOS game with Plants v. Zombies gameplay.
They couldn't get much more diverse than this and their presentation was critically panned.

Bethesda OTOH has been critically acclaimed this year and what did they show?
Rage 2 (Action FPS), Doom Eternal (Action FPS), Quake Champions (Multiplayer FPS), Prey Mooncrash (Action FPS), Wolfenstein Youngblood (Action FPS), Fallout 76 (Multiplayer FPS w/ RPG elements) and Elder Scrolls Blades (First-Person Adventure for mobile and VR). A couple of short teasers for their next First-Person Adventure games and it's a wrap.

This is going into semantics, but what is shown in the conference (E3) isn't only what is shown on stage.
This thread is about Sony's Press Conference at E3. "Their conference" is Sony's press conference. We're all talking about Sony's messaging in their press conference. What they show outside of that is something else not to be confused with their press-conference messaging. mostly because their press conference got wide coverage whereas whatever happens in the sidelines is easily missed.

The posts were moved. Your original reply was to Karamov here:
and ONE PSVR game ? LOL ?
Subsequent discussion was in the Sony Press Conference thread until they were moved at some point.
The posts were moved Tuesday 10:15. All the posts including mine you responded to were posted before then in the Sony Press Conference thread and then moved here.

The posts were moved. Your original reply was to Karamov here:
Subsequent discussion was in the Sony Press Conference thread until they were moved at some point.
The posts were moved Tuesday 10:15. All the posts including mine you responded to were posted before then in the Sony Press Conference thread and then moved here.

I'm wondering what I did wrong here.
I simply brought up a possibly interesting point to discuss ("what kind of games are worth showing at E3?") because the posts were moved from Sony's E3 thread to a general E3 thread, so the conversation wouldn't be offtopic.

You stated this was Sony's thread, I merely pointed out it's not Sony's thread.

As for what is "part of the conference" and what isn't, if we go by your definition then Electronic Arts wasn't at E3 at all, since their "EA Play" press conference happened 3 days before E3 even started. And neither was Nintendo because their E3 Nintendo Direct didn't happen in a stage and was fully made in the very same "round table" discussion format as Sony's post-stage presentation where they showed their VR titles. What Sony showed outside of the main stage performance is worth as much as everything Nintendo showed during the whole E3.

I'm wondering what I did wrong here.
Karamov was talking about Sony's Press Conference in the Sony Press Conference thread, and said, "only one VR game. LOL."
You replied, "definitely not one. Here's the list of to-be-released for 2018:"
Having not watched the press conference, I'm confused because none of the coverage of Sony's Press Conference mentioned multiple VR games, so I asked in the Sony Press Conference thread if these games were in the (Sony Press) conference.
You said yes, meaning the E3 conference. I take you to be talking about Sony's Press Conference as that's the thread and the discussion, so I believe that the games were shown in the Press Conference.
Silent_Buddha then said no, they weren't shown in the press conference. I say I'm confused. Iroboto fills me in.
I say you weren't being accurate because you said in the Sony Press Conference thread that Sony showed all the VR games at the conference.
The posts were then moved here to the E3 discussion thread.

The end.
:yes:

(Roll credits)
(Cue post-credits scene...)

TBH I don't know anyone else referring to E3 as a conference. It's called an expo, or event, and it contains many press conferences.

(Many more credits. Everyone can go home now)

Rotten Tomatoes score of 38%. I never get work in this field again.

You might want to re-check this thread's title. Sony's conference thread is here.

It also doesn't help that the nomenclature is vague. For demonstrators, E3 is one long press conference; there is the initial pre-E3 event usually to a live audience of press and public followed by a ton of 1:1 or 1:many press briefings which is often where most of the interesting gaming stuff is revealed.

For example, the Cyberpunk 2077 reveal at Microsoft's press conference was a tantalisingly cool video but with zero detailed information - all of which was revealed over several days through different press outlets.

I think most people are talking about the pre-E3 event but some may not.

Back