Formula 1 - 2014 Season

This one was racing incident, but if you have to point finger at someone, Hamilton actually was the one breaking the rules by turning into apex so early, forcing Rosberg to either hit him or go out from track. Rosberg chose not to dodge and go out, and this happened.
Where do you get your rulebook from? The only rule for the guy in front is changing lines too many times, other than that he can take his line.

This one was racing incident, but if you have to point finger at someone, Hamilton actually was the one breaking the rules by turning into apex so early, forcing Rosberg to either hit him or go out from track. Rosberg chose not to dodge and go out, and this happened.

Why not quote the full regulation?

Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.
For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

Where do you get your rulebook from? The only rule for the guy in front is changing lines too many times, other than that he can take his line.

Why not quote the full regulation?
And the next part
20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

At least in past, the part I quoted has been used in the middle of corners, too. Nico's choices were either go out of track or to not dodge and hit Lewis, as he didn't leave him room to stay on track and not hit him

How is Hamilton's taking the racing line considered "an abnormal change of direction" (which seems to be what 20.5 covers)? And he left Nico a car width on the straight.

I don't see how that Kimi-Schumi clip is comparable. They were side by side, whereas Nico had at most his front wheel alongside Lewis' rear when Lewis moved to take the racing line. It looked clumsy on Nico's part, and apparently he admitted it was in fact purposefully so.

Edit: FYI Magnussen closed the door on Alonso (pushing him off the track) at least twice in the middle of a turn toward the end of the race, and that was with Alonso further alongside him (albeit still on the outside) in the beginning of the turn. Alonso avoided contact both times, the first time backing out (and waving his fist) and the second time going off track. Though as smart/cautious as Alonso was in not crashing into Magnussen, he still broke off a piece of his wing running into the back of Vettel later in the race, so obviously luck is still key when touching wing to tire. If Hamilton had escaped unscathed we'd probably just gloss over the Mercedes contact.

How is Hamilton's taking the racing line considered "an abnormal change of direction" (which seems to be what 20.5 covers)? And he left Nico a car width on the straight.

I don't see how that Kimi-Schumi clip is comparable. They were side by side, whereas Nico had at most his front wheel alongside Lewis' rear when Lewis moved to take the racing line. It looked clumsy on Nico's part, and apparently he admitted it was in fact purposefully so.

Because the rules state that it's "significant portion" (it's been applied in decisions before even if it doesn't happen on straight)

No matter where on track, you can't force others off, and Nico was left no choice but to either hit or not make the corner on track.

Despite the "scandalous headlines", he actually said that he deliberately didn't dodge (and thus run out of track), not that he hit Lewis deliberately, there's quite a difference between the two. Hamilton had the chance to both avoid the accident and most likely keep 1st position, but he chose to cut into the apex as early as possible and thus leave Nico with choice of accident or running out of track

Maybe you didn't read the part where Mercedes confirmed what Hamilton said was "Broadly accurate", ie true.

http://autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115558

This part?

Vs

"We just had a meeting about it and he basically said he did it on purpose"

Is not the same but I guess Hamilton needs to light a fire.

Nico didn't back down, and if he wants to win he shouldn't back down for the rest of the season. So far I think Rosberg has been to soft on Hamilton and making it to easy to pass him, etc.

http://autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115558

This part?

Vs

"We just had a meeting about it and he basically said he did it on purpose"

Is not the same but I guess Hamilton needs to light a fire.

Nico didn't back down, and if he wants to win he shouldn't back down for the rest of the season. So far I think Rosberg has been to soft on Hamilton and making it to easy to pass him, etc.

And about all the rest. The team obviously considers it Rosberg's fault. From your own link...

Although he dismissed the allegation that Rosberg had hit Hamilton on purpose, Wolff said that did not mean his fury towards his driver had subsided.

"It doesn't change the scenario at all because the incident, as I see it, is not acceptable for us," he said.

"What we saw there was that Nico was not prepared to take the exit, and that caused the collision.

"That is not something we want to happen.

"We had a collision that could have been avoided, a second-lap collision, it was Nico who attacked and he shouldn't have done it.

It is hilarious how people jump out to demonize Hamilton, yet if it was someone else in that position it would have obviously been Rosberg's fault.

Regards,
SB

Yep the fault is 100% on Rosberg, hilarious to see people claiming otherwise. He should have been given a penalty for that no question. I'm sure whatever little friendship those two had left is now gone for good, or for a long time anyway. Nico did secure a great result for himself though. Got to like Ricciardo, guy is a beast out there :) Excellent performance and always smiling. Nice to see Kimi finally putting together a good race.

And about all the rest. The team obviously considers it Rosberg's fault. From your own link...

It is hilarious how people jump out to demonize Hamilton, yet if it was someone else in that position it would have obviously been Rosberg's fault.

Regards,
SB

It was Rosbergs fault, who is saying anything different, except Hamilton who says Rosberg did it on PURPOSE, there is difference, right?

During this season Hamilton has been out in front of the mics and made all the wrong statements (imho) trying to be the victim, the one that gets cheated, he even called Rosberg a spoiled brat (in other words) and claimed his hunger was bigger than Rosberg. Rosberg has so far played it very cool and comes across as the most mature of those two.

And it was cringeworthy to hear how hamilton pleaded to get into the pits, the team is lucky if the don't get a penalty for that one.

It was Rosbergs fault, who is saying anything different, except Hamilton who says Rosberg did it on PURPOSE, there is difference, right? During this season Hamilton has been out in front of the mics and made all the wrong statements (imho) trying to be the victim, the one that gets cheated, he even called Rosberg a spoiled brat (in other words) and claimed his hunger was bigger than Rosberg. Rosberg has so far played it very cool and comes across as the most mature of those two. And it was cringeworthy to hear how hamilton pleaded to get into the pits, the team is lucky if the don't get a penalty for that one.

+1.

I think Rosberg did it on purpose, but not in the sense that he said 'OK, you have a tire and I have a front wing and I know how to use it!"

Rather, I think he wanted at an early stage of that incident to try a pass, realized it's not going to work but decided he won't make any move to pull out of it. He on purpose decided not to yield a single inch to Ham. Sending the message, methinks, to Hamilton that he is going to fight him this hard from now on.

And I think that the reactions of Rosberg after the race support this supposition of mine.

I think Rosberg did it on purpose, but not in the sense that he said 'OK, you have a tire and I have a front wing and I know how to use it!"

Rather, I think he wanted at an early stage of that incident to try a pass, realized it's not going to work but decided he won't make any move to pull out of it. He on purpose decided not to yield a single inch to Ham. Sending the message, methinks, to Hamilton that he is going to fight him this hard from now on.

And I think that the reactions of Rosberg after the race support this supposition of mine.

Yes, he didn't back off on purpose, just like it would have been on purpose if he had backed down.

That is not even worth the discussion, what Hamilton implied was that Rosberg caused the collision, on purpose, what Rosberg did was something else, yes he caused the accident, which by usual racing standards was a racing accident, that is, something that happens when there is a tight racing.

What Rosberg did on purpose and i am sure with every intent possible, was to show Hamilton that from here it will be risky and potentially very costly if Hamilton expects Rosberg to back off.

I for one can perfectly understand what Rosberg is doing.

I for one can perfectly understand what Rosberg is doing.

Causing crashes by stupid driving?

How likely do you think it would have been that Rosberg would hit Hamilton in that situation, had he been behind him in the championship race, instead of slightly ahead?

Rosberg decided to run into Hamilton to apparently prove a point and was simply lucky that it led to a big points gain for him. He wouldn't have done the same thing if he had been trying to overhaul Hamilton in the championship.

Unfortunately, cheaters sometimes benefit from their actions.

Causing crashes by stupid driving?

How likely do you think it would have been that Rosberg would hit Hamilton in that situation, had he been behind him in the championship race, instead of slightly ahead?

Rosberg decided to run into Hamilton to apparently prove a point and was simply lucky that it led to a big points gain for him. He wouldn't have done the same thing if he had been trying to overhaul Hamilton in the championship.

Unfortunately, cheaters sometimes benefit from their actions.

Yep, that is what i wrote right?
Either up you post quality or leave please, that low grade posting style is for other places.

At the current state in the championship it's full out war between these 2 drivers, so far Hamilton has imho had the upper hand in their close duels, with Rosberg being the one that has yielded positions, again imho to easily. If Rosberg wants to keep ahead of Hamilton he can't afford that, so he absolutely needed to show that he is there to fight, no matter the costs.

And suggesting that Rosberg would risk running into Hamilton, on purpose, is absurd, he might as well have ended up with a car that didn't work and seeing Hamilton driving off to the podium.

Actually, it was Hamilton than ran to Rosberg path. I think Rosberg was entitled to have that piece of track. Please don't argue about racing line, because it's only valid if you have no one around you. The ideal racing line is gone the moment Rosberg was alongside Hamilton when entering the corner. From the team perspective, what Ros did was stupid because he did it on his team mate and very early in the race. Basically unnecessary risk. But if he did it late and it wasn't Ham in the front, I'm sure most people would simply call this a racing accident.
To sum it up, yes, Ros was stupid, not because of the move, but because trying to risk it early in the race. The move, from my pov, was perfectly fine.

Yep, that is what i wrote right?
Either up you post quality or leave please, that low grade posting style is for other places.

At the current state in the championship it's full out war between these 2 drivers, so far Hamilton has imho had the upper hand in their close duels, with Rosberg being the one that has yielded positions, again imho to easily. If Rosberg wants to keep ahead of Hamilton he can't afford that, so he absolutely needed to show that he is there to fight, no matter the costs.

And suggesting that Rosberg would risk running into Hamilton, on purpose, is absurd, he might as well have ended up with a car that didn't work and seeing Hamilton driving off to the podium.

Oh, grow up. "Up your post quality or leave", you say? Utter nonsense as I made a perfectly relevant point which you decided to ignore and instead threw out a vague insult. I'm embarrassed for you.

I am of the opinion that Rosberg would have avoided the collision (which would have been sensible), if he didn't have a lead over Hamilton in the championship. You don't even address this point but instead decide to decry my posting style?

I'm not any great fan of Hamilton (or F1 in general for that matter), because he's certainly immature and childish at times - pretty much like most of the other F1 drivers, in fact. The pitlane intrigue and personality clashes we always hear about seem to me like they belong in the school yard and there is a big disconnect between the high-tech machinery being driven and the petty bickering amongst the drivers.

Something which obviously has passed across to this discussion thread as Hamilton is still apparently getting blamed for Rosberg driving into him by some? Weird.

I think Rosberg did it on purpose, but not in the sense that he said 'OK, you have a tire and I have a front wing and I know how to use it!" Rather, I think he wanted at an early stage of that incident to try a pass, realized it's not going to work but decided he won't make any move to pull out of it. He on purpose decided not to yield a single inch to Ham. Sending the message, methinks, to Hamilton that he is going to fight him this hard from now on. And I think that the reactions of Rosberg after the race support this supposition of mine.

I completely agree with you and your interpretation of 'on purpose'.

Btw, this was long missing...Ham did this already several times to Ros, and I started to think that Ros is no champion-material. To win a F1 championship you have to be an egoistic asshole ...now, everything is fine again.

Let them battle, let them crash in the first round if they want to, let them accuse themselves and 'radio-wine' all the time.

This is sparta...err, I mean this is F1!!

Joe Saward's blog post about it (and some other things)

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/racing-to-the-celestial-city/

As for Rosberg, the incident serves only to demolish his carefully-constructed image that he is a jovial boy-next-door kind of figure. And it raises questions about the incident in qualifying in Monaco, and the jumped chicane in Montreal. Lewis is a tough competitor, but he generally plays it fair. There’s nothing underhand about him.

I completely agree with you and your interpretation of 'on purpose'.

Btw, this was long missing...Ham did this already several times to Ros, and I started to think that Ros is no champion-material. To win a F1 championship you have to be an egoistic asshole ...now, everything is fine again.

In this incident however, I do feel that Hamilton wasn't aware too much on how close and where exactly Ros is behind him. So the statement Rosberg tried to make was 'transmitted' to Hamilton only afterwards, when he watched what happened after the race, on TV.

That's why I agree with Sky's comentary when they said that what Rosberg did was clumsy. What Rosberg really would have wanted to show is that in a situation when him and Hamilton are (more or less) side by side, he will never yield and the only choice to avoid the crash was for Hamilton to leave more room.

Here, Hamilton didn't get a chance to make this decision and I also feel that Rosberg realized that but tried to create the situation anyway. He rushed it because he rushed to proved something to the world, he could have waited a few more laps and make a stronger statement. Surely a crash/accident would have happened anyway.

Back