Formula 1 - 2014 Season

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
2013 done, 2014 to come. Throw out everything we knew about F1 and start fresh with a completely new engine formula with more aero limitations.

For more details on the new engines in terms of specs and the types of flexibility enabled by the various energy harvesting schemes and how they can be used see the following nice explanation on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lyBFmkAKw

A run down of the rules changes: http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2013/8/14875.html

Engine - it’s out with 2.4-litre normally-aspirated V8 engines and in with 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines, revving to a maximum of 15,000rpm. The current engines produce more than 750bhp, whilst the 2014 units will produce around 600bhp with additional power coming from Energy Recovery Systems (see below).

Gearbox - gearboxes are to have eight forward ratios - rather than the current seven - which each team must nominate ahead of the season.

Energy Recovery Systems (ERS) - in 2014, a larger proportion of each car’s power will come from ERS which, together with the engine, make up the powertrain or power unit. As well as generating energy under braking, ERS units will also generate power using waste heat from the engine’s turbocharger. Unlike the current KERS - which give drivers an extra 80bhp for six seconds per lap - the 2014 ERS will give drivers around 160bhp for 33 seconds per lap. To compensate for the extra power being generated under braking by ERS, teams will be allowed to use an electronic rear brake control system.

Fuel - to promote fuel efficiency, fuel will be limited to 100kg per race. At the moment fuel is unlimited, but teams typically use around 160kg per race.

Minimum weight - to compensate for the increased weight of the 2014 powertrain, minimum weight has been increased from the current 642kg to 690kg.

Exhaust - unlike today where two exhaust tailpipes are used, the 2014 regulations mandate the use of a single tailpipe which must be angled upwards to prevent the exhaust flow being used for aerodynamic effect. Additionally, bodywork is not allowed to be placed behind the tailpipe.

Nose height - for safety reasons the height of noses will be reduced in 2014. The maximum height is currently 550mm, whereas next year it’s 185mm.

Front wing - front wings will be a little narrower next year with the width reduced from 1800mm to 1650mm.

Rear wing - the rear wing will also look a little different in 2014 compared to this year’s models. The lower beam wing is being outlawed and the main flap will be slightly shallower in profile.

Updates to follow....

History threads: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Signed drivers and engines so far (though as we know, anything can happen especially in the lower teams):

Infiniti Red Bull Racing, Renault:
- Sebastian Vettel GER
- Daniel Ricciardo AUS

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team, Mercedes:
- Nico Rosberg GER
- Lewis Hamilton GBR

Scuderia Ferrari, Ferrari:
- Fernando Alonso SPA
- Kimi Räikkönen FIN

Lotus F1 Team, TBA:
- TBA
- TBA

McLaren Mercedes, Mercedes:
- Jenson Button GBR
- Kevin Magnussen DEN

Sahara Force India F1 Team, Mercedes:
- TBA
- TBA

Sauber F1 Team, Ferrari:
- Sergey Sirotkin RUS
- TBA

Scuderia Toro Rosso, Renault:
- Daniil Kvyat RUS
- Jean-Éric Vergne FRA

Williams F1 Team, Mercedes:
- Valtteri Bottas FIN
- Felipe Massa BRA

Marussia F1 Team, Ferrari:
- Jules Bianchi FRA
- TBA

Caterham F1 Team, Renault:
- Charles Pic FRA
- TBA

--

In addition, Hülkenberg has been claimed to have already signed for 1(+1) deal with Force India and Perez says he'll continue in F1, with more news to come in soon

Which of 2 or 3 will be dropped most likely (Korea, America, Mexico)

I hope those races won't be dropped. The longer the season, the better for the audience...

But if they are going to drop something, I hope they don't touch the plans for Mexico and would go for it

The longer the season, the better for the audience...

How so? If some tedium is tedious, how is more tedium better than just a little bit of tedium?

I can see how a longer season is better for the people who are selling the tedium to the audience. But that's not what you said.

Anyone have a list of the car changes they could list?

Originally i hated the idea of changing to 6 cylinder engines, but the bar so low that almost anything is an improvement compared to the 2013 season.

Also will Lotus be changing its team name?

Anyone have a list of the car changes they could list?

Off the top of my head:

1.6l V6 turbo engine
Lower nose
Narrower front wing
Central exhaust (behind any body work, no blown diffuser)
No lower rear wing
ERS giving more power for longer (160bhp for 33s/lap)

There are probably more that I have forgotten

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be very curious about the laptimes. Part of the appeal of watching F1 for me is the sheer overall performance of the car which is best qualified by their laptimes vs other series. I'd like to see that gap maintained.

Is 2004 qualifying still the fastest year for cars?

Maldonado goes to Lotus for 2014, with Grosjean being in the other seat.

The rest of the drivers should fall in to place quite quickly now that Maldonado's sponsorship money is off the table, I think it is what most of the teams have been waiting for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. The question is, can they both keep their head and not crash cars worth more than the sponsor money? :p

I'll be very curious about the laptimes. Part of the appeal of watching F1 for me is the sheer overall performance of the car which is best qualified by their laptimes vs other series. I'd like to see that gap maintained.

Is 2004 qualifying still the fastest year for cars?

Yes.
http://f1.wikia.com/wiki/Lap_Record

Looking at how stable the cars are in the corners today I wouldn't be surprised if the current cars actually have more downforce but they are also a "lot" (close to 40kg) heavier and at least 200hp down on power with the v10's being around 1000hp.

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/years/2013
Has some extra info on cars from different years regarding weight etc.

Fun fact: Only Räikkönen, Vettel and Alonso have broken the 2004 records. 2 of those drivers drive for Ferrari next year

Fun fact: Only Räikkönen, Vettel and Alonso have broken the 2004 records. 2 of those drivers drive for Ferrari next year

??? What do you mean?

In 2004 there were neither Korean circuit, nor American in Texas, nor Abu Dhabi, nor India.

All records except the ones at Silverstone and Catalunya, are with their respective holders from Years 2004 (or in a single case 2005)

Back