Formula 1 - 2014 Season

Yes, if you want to boil it down to the level you are then it is entirely comparable. (If it wasn't an uncontrolled component failure) Mistakes shouldn't happen and there are procedures and checks to follow to ensure they do not - a mistake that causes a fuel issue is not just one of a financial penalty for the entire team, because one of their cars is now starting from the back of the grid and unlikely to return the maximum financial reward, but also a big safety issue, not just for the driver but also Marshals and/or team personnel dependant on where the car decides to ignite itself. So, yes, if the "team members" were really that annoyed that Hamilton made that choice then they probably need to be kicked out because the real issue occurred on Saturday, which could have had far nastier ramifications! Note, that Toto has already stated that reliability is the biggest issue they have at the moment and the one that they are most focused on addressing. If the team members are only caring about their bonuses then that's the best course of action for ensuring their maximise their payday. Note, I'm being a little snarky because I don't believe it boils down to a financial case, certainly not from the race team - likelihood is that they guys on Lewis' side of the garage were happy that their guy put one over the other side of the garage. Autosport run a series (behind the paywall) called "The Secret Mechanic" and they had a commentary about what its like for a mechanic after a car failure (the last one article was spawned after Lewis' brake failure, but the fuel issue would have been much the same).

You are to much defending Ham and maybe didn't follow the discussion accurately:

Phil said that points don't matter for Mercedes anyways, so who cares. I

responded that in my opinion every single point counts as this translates in pure and lots of money. Furthermore, it may count for certain team members as their bonus is linked to achieved points. It was a response to his post that points still do matter for the team. That was the content of my post. At the end, I even stated that I support Ham in his decision.

Don't interpret every single post as an attack against Ham please, it really reduces the quality of an interesting discussion/thread imo.

Read the update, like I say, I don't believe that the race team will be looking at the financial penalties. The team as a whole are losing far more through reliability issues and that's ultimately what they need to address. Being concerned about 10 points lost is noise when they have thrown away 100 or so.

And it all boils down to nothing because Mercedes has stated that they shouldn't have issued the team order to Lewis. It is incorrect when both drivers are fighting for the championship and when they are treated as equals.

Think about it this way: Rosberg was all flabbergasted on the team radio saying "why won't he let me past" when what he should have done is get right up Hamilton's chuff and show that he is faster. He didn't, he remained passive, waiting for the team to give him something instead of taking it. I'm no fan of Sebastian Vettel (I respect his achievements) but in Malaysia 2013, Vettel just went for it against team orders. He wanted to win, he disobeyed team orders, he was perhaps a bad sport but he was faster albeit with a different engine setting. It was wrong, but it didn't matter, Webber left the sport, Vettel won the championship.

All that matters is what you do on track and this situation was all Rosberg. He wasn't close enough and Hamilton saw no reason to just let him past. The championship is all about fight and Hamilton has been through this before while Rosberg hasn't.

Think about it this way: Rosberg was all flabbergasted on the team radio saying "why won't he let me past" when what he should have done is get right up Hamilton's chuff and show that he is faster. He didn't, he remained passive, waiting for the team to give him something instead of taking it.

Well said.

I could sense during the race Rosberg was being slightly more cautious and that would be because he would not want an incident that destroys his championship lead completely.

In any case who are we to say what is what when Wolff, Lauda, Coulthard and no doubt a few others in the end agreed the team order was wrong at this stage of the championship and that stage of the race.

Phil said that points don't matter for Mercedes anyways, so who cares.

That wasn't the only thing I wrote though. I clearly also wrote that before that situation had come up, at the point Hamilton passed JEV (which Rosberg failed to do), he became the lead driver (he was more than a pitstop ahead). Meaning that the team cost itself. The win was up for grabs by both drivers, but more so Hamilton, because he was ahead of his team-mate and could have been on the same strategy, even swapping his mediums (he was mistakenly on) for a brand-new sets of softs he had en masse and still be ahead of his team-mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, Mercedes should have won that race. If Red Bull had had the car advantage instead of Mercedes, they would probably have run a super-aggressive strategy pitting when clear air was available and just out-pacing everyone. Still, safety cars always can throw a spanner in the works but Mercedes showed their inexperience running championship campaigns.

not like it matters a whole lot, so long as the relative positions of lewis and nico stayed the same we would be in the exact same position.

Bernie paid $100 million to settle his case in Germany. Good for him, bad for F1.

Cripes, perhaps they really do have it in for Hamilton!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28921431

Please read Wolffs version, you know the teamboss. Hamilton really isn't doing himself any favors. This one was on Rosberg, but that isn't enough for Hamilton, he wants us to believe that Rosberg intentionally drove into Hamilton so he could retire him and reap the points.

I think Rosberg is done yielding to Hamilton and now Hamilton will have to gamble with more at stake when he duels with Rosberg.

Well, didn't see the race today, but from viewing the incident itself, Hamilton didn't need to gamble - he was in front, had the right line and Rosberg made a complete balls-up leading to the collision. Very lucky that he got away with that one reasonably unscathed but, of course, it knackered Hamilton's car.

Could still go to the last race with the double points thing going on.

Please read Wolffs version, you know the teamboss. Hamilton really isn't doing himself any favors. This one was on Rosberg, but that isn't enough for Hamilton, he wants us to believe that Rosberg intentionally drove into Hamilton so he could retire him and reap the points.

Maybe you didn't read the part where Mercedes confirmed what Hamilton said was "Broadly accurate", ie true.

So much to some B3D posters opinion that Mercedes team is always against Hamilton and pro Rosberg.

I wonder if Mercedes will have team order now...

Rosberg shouldn't have put them in that situation on lap 2.

I'm now rooting for Ricciardo pulling a Räikkönen 2007 on the Merc drivers. :D

I'm with you on that one :D
When Alonso can't win, I am relishing Ricciardo beating Vettel.

I have to say Ricciardo is quickly becoming a favourite for me. He is fast, he is aggressive when he has to be, he is clean and he can overtake, he doesn't make mistakes and he's the happiest person ever.

This one was racing incident, but if you have to point finger at someone, Hamilton actually was the one breaking the rules by turning into apex so early, forcing Rosberg to either hit him or go out from track. Rosberg chose not to dodge and go out, and this happened.
For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'

This is how it SHOULD be driven:
http://youtu.be/p_irUPwPoaA

Back