Formula 1 - 2011 Season

It was *all* cameras, compact cameras included, phones excluded.

It is perfectly fair and reasonable to ban cameras for a normal concert, but for a concert immediately following a F1 race, where 70% of spectators have a camera of some sort, is just plain dumb.

Cheers

Should have clarified that the "no pro cameras" is standard for all, but some indeed go up to "no cameras at all"

You're right though on the fact that it's strange for concert after F1 race where ppl have cameras anyway

Kubica won't be ready for 2012. Sad news, but it was expected due to Kubica's silence on the matter up until now.

still lots of fun in f1

13th Nov
"United States Grand Prix circuit chiefs have been left bemused by remarks from Bernie Ecclestone in which he cast doubt on next year's race in Texas. "

15th Nov
"Next year's inaugural United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, is on the brink of being axed, according to Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone. Ecclestone said the 18 November race would be called off at the next meeting of F1's governing body the FIA."

so will have to see Paul McCartney some other time.
You mean George McCartney......

still lots of fun in f1

13th Nov
"United States Grand Prix circuit chiefs have been left bemused by remarks from Bernie Ecclestone in which he cast doubt on next year's race in Texas. "

15th Nov
"Next year's inaugural United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, is on the brink of being axed, according to Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone. Ecclestone said the 18 November race would be called off at the next meeting of F1's governing body the FIA."
I know, it is so insane. They need to sort it.

You mean George McCartney......
EJ is crazy. :)

Interesting.

http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/400633/Did_exhaust_heating_cause_Vettels_Abu_Dhabi_problem/

Autosport, the respected British weekly magazine, suggests in today's issue that Sebastian Vettel's Abu Dhabi tyre failure was caused by Red Bull using exhaust gases to generate tyre temperature.

In a story by F1 editor Edd Straw, the magazine says that blue smoke is visible from Vettel's car when the lights go out to signal the start of the race, commensurate with burning rubber rather than burning bodywork as claimed by the team.

The suggestion is that Red Bull has been using a special - legal -- throttle strategy to ensure that tyre temperature is at the optimum level on the opening lap, possibly through heating the wheel rim with exhaust gas.

Interestingly, the story points out that Vettel has often backed off significantly at the end of formation laps, causing those who have to adjust to the speed of the pole position man to lose tyre temperature

I hate off-throttle blowing. It is basically a movable aerodynamic device. Also it makes the cars sound bad with that horrible warbling.

If true, that is very clever and very cunning.

If the other teams aren't using such a system, it does raise a few questions about how sporting it is for Vettel to deliberately back off at the end of the formation laps (assuming he does, of course).

If true, that is very clever and very cunning.

If the other teams aren't using such a system, it does raise a few questions about how sporting it is for Vettel to deliberately back off at the end of the formation laps (assuming he does, of course).
All top teams are probably doing it to one extent or another, but I think Red Bull are the most extreme in their blown diffuser (except for Renault but that bold move didn't work out) and that of the RBR cars, Vettel is the most daring demanding the most risky set ups now when both championships are over.

Wrt vettels puncture in todays paper there is a theory that redbull force exhaust over the rear tyres to keep them toasty

All top teams are probably doing it to one extent or another, but I think Red Bull are the most extreme in their blown diffuser (except for Renault but that bold move didn't work out) and that of the RBR cars, Vettel is the most daring demanding the most risky set ups now when both championships are over.
You are assuming that Renault have designed a good car maybe the exhaust is the only thing keeping them ahead of the so called lesser teams.

I think it's telling that they haven't ditched it.

Partly offtopic, but I can't wait for next season, which should remove the confusion on "Renault team" - since the name suggests it would be "manufacturer team", but in reality Red Bull is the nr1, and as close to "manufacturer team" for Renault as there is, Renaul-team being just regular customer despite the name.

You are assuming that Renault have designed a good car maybe the exhaust is the only thing keeping them ahead of the so called lesser teams.

I think it's telling that they haven't ditched it.
Sure, they based the entire concept of the car around the FFE but they couldn't develop it and if they changed it late in the season it would cost very much and it wouldn't be worth it due to exhaust placement changing for 2012.

Partly offtopic, but I can't wait for next season, which should remove the confusion on "Renault team" - since the name suggests it would be "manufacturer team", but in reality Red Bull is the nr1, and as close to "manufacturer team" for Renault as there is, Renaul-team being just regular customer despite the name.
Renault is gone from the Renault team, it will be called some kind of Lotus Racing or Team Lotus.

Re: quali today. Disgustingly good lap by Vettel and a new record of poles in a year. Bruno Senna did well out-qualifying Petrov.

Rain tomorrow? Mayhem and insanity, hopefully they won't just red-flag because it doesn't "really" matter.

Looking forward to tomorrows race :p

Quali today was no surprise apart from Webbo keeping young Seb honest on this track. As Alonso nicely said it, his subscription to 5th place was extended to final race :LOL:

Bring on some quick showers tomorrow so we will get mixed conditions and maybe mid team on podium!

No rain. :( Vettel managed his gearbox issue (well done, but :(), Button smoked the primes, Ferraris do not work on primes, Hamilton's gearbox blew up and Webbo finally got a win this year.

Massa did some donuts at the end of the race, very cool, hopefully the FIA won't look too harshly on it.

Bet if Button or Alonso were second and not Webber he wouldn't have had a "gearbox problem" though.

It sure sounded like a conceiled team order, trying to get Webber 2nd in the championship.

Exchange:
Pit: Gearbox problem, short shift 2nd gear.
Vettel then sets a cracking lap time despite short shifting 2nd
Pit: More gearbox problems: short shift 2nd and 3rd gear.
Vettel: I will fall behind
Pit: Yes.

Then, with around ten laps to go, in 2nd place Vettel sets fastests lap, pit: Short shift all gears :D

To be honest, considering the way RB treated Webber last year, I thought it was, if not fair, then reasonable enough to throw him a bone.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if it was, Webber himself said he wanted more of an actual race with Vettel. As it is, he sounded like he was given a hollow victory. I'm sure they're all celebrating though, and it was nice for Webber to finish on a high regardless.

They may be allowed, but Red Bull may have been attempting to be subtle, so people don't immediately start with 'Webber shouldn't have won!' etc.
Why? If anything that is even worse than being gifted the win by Vettel. Now he was "allowed" to win by subterfuge. That's insulting and I don't think RBR would do that.

Back