Formula 1 - 2014 Season

It is a lot of politics and maybe less a matter of right and wrong here, in this light.

But opening engine regs would make seasons more entertaining I would argue. Much more so (at least for me) than changing how the engine sound, double points et al.

I don't buy into that theory. Mercedes have clearly made the best engine for years, all that would happen in my opinion would be for every step Renault and Ferrari made Mercedes would make two themselves and just push themselves further ahead.

Ok if they make the best engines, then freely allowing engine development would only help them prove their dominance to the world (of potential buyers) . So it should be a non-brainer to favor it.

Mercedes engine is the best this season from every aspect, but on previous season it wasn't. Sure, it probably got a bit more HP, but Renault probably got more drivability and probably tuned better for ebd.

Mercedes engine is the best this season from every aspect, but on previous season it wasn't. Sure, it probably got a bit more HP, but Renault probably got more drivability and probably tuned better for ebd.

From what I understand, Renault had distinct advantages during the V8 season because they were allowed to make some changes on reliability that gave them bit of an advantage on especially hot blowing (Link: http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2011/6/12186.html). Due to the freeze on engine maps and development, the other teams couldn't really adapt to what Renault and Redbull were doing.

It's supposed to give priority to braking, not cut the engine as far as I understand.

Still shocking to hear the system didn't work
You'd expect something like that to be fairly easy to implement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30319256

Bianchi did not slow down enough, seemingly in his panic he hit the accelerator and brake and because of Marussia's FBW system the failsafe never kicked in to cut the engine.

I don't think he did it in panic, more likely he was counting on the engine to cut out as it supposed to do. Also saying he didn't slow down sufficiently was given as till now there was no set speed for double yellows, only to be prepared to stop if needed to which meant if you caused an incident under yellows you were guilty of speeding regardless of actual speed you were doing.
Hopefully VSC will eliminate that ambiguity from yellow flag rules and saves lives in future!

As shown by the telemetry at the time he went round the corner the pretty much the same speed as be did the lap before.

Just pressing the brake would've had the same effect the fail safe is to stop what happened with massa when he had his foot on the accelerator and brake when he went off while unconscious at hungry.

It's supposed to give priority to braking, not cut the engine as far as I understand.
According to the article it's supposed to cut the engine. This is from the FIA quoted text.

"The Failsafe algorithm is designed to over-ride the throttle and cut the engine"

A bit from option A and B there, maybe they mean cut the engine output to the wheels rather than actually turning the engine off.

Last edited:
I don't think he did it in panic, more likely he was counting on the engine to cut out as it supposed to do. Also saying he didn't slow down sufficiently was given as till now there was no set speed for double yellows, only to be prepared to stop if needed to which meant if you caused an incident under yellows you were guilty of speeding regardless of actual speed you were doing.
Hopefully VSC will eliminate that ambiguity from yellow flag rules and saves lives in future!

The might have determined that whatever speed he was doing, it wasn't sufficiently slow to be prepared to stop given the visibility / conditions at the corner.

Still waiting for Alonsos team mate, of course i hope it´s Kevin Magnussen imho he is the right choice for the future, but the short term gain would most likely be Button, good JP relations, experienced with the development of the cars etc. And a great racing driver. I really think the limited testing makes it very hard for the new drivers to gain a foothold compared to the older drivers that have raced the circuits for many many years.

Still waiting for Alonsos team mate, of course i hope it´s Kevin Magnussen imho he is the right choice for the future, but the short term gain would most likely be Button, good JP relations, experienced with the development of the cars etc. And a great racing driver. I really think the limited testing makes it very hard for the new drivers to gain a foothold compared to the older drivers that have raced the circuits for many many years.

I completely agree. Button is a great balance of experience and speed where Magnussen still develops his skills. I think Kevin still struggles with tyre saving as he doesn't have enough experience in that field yet, but driving style wise I think he is closer to Alonso than Button.

Can't have both, but in ideal world I would like JB to stay for 1 more year partnering Alonso and for KM to drive for McLaren junior team to gain more experience before switching to main team in 2016. In reality, sadly there is no McLaren junior team in F1 ...

JB is a great racing driver and partnering him with Alonso would be quite a spectacle. KM would be cheaper and has great speed but makes quite a few mistakes come Sunday, hence the difference in points between him and JB in the 2014 season.

My personal inclination would be to give JB another year too - the cost difference would be made up by the potential points gain JB would acquire. Japan also likes JB and he has had a relationship with Honda before.

KM though is definitely a worthy driver in his own right and this is definitely a tough decision. However the indecision is telling of a company that is struggling - and with the poor testing of the new engine so far next year may end up an uphill struggle for Alonso, partner in crime and McLaren.

JB is a great racing driver and partnering him with Alonso would be quite a spectacle. KM would be cheaper and has great speed but makes quite a few mistakes come Sunday, hence the difference in points between him and JB in the 2014 season.

My personal inclination would be to give JB another year too - the cost difference would be made up by the potential points gain JB would acquire. Japan also likes JB and he has had a relationship with Honda before.

KM though is definitely a worthy driver in his own right and this is definitely a tough decision. However the indecision is telling of a company that is struggling - and with the poor testing of the new engine so far next year may end up an uphill struggle for Alonso, partner in crime and McLaren.

I think their problem with making a choice is very simple, it´s not a clear cut case :-/
If Kevin Magnussen is left out for a year it´s almost like killing his career, if anyone needs the laps and training it is him, he might even benefit from having a car that isn't supposed to win, just yet. It would give him more time to mature and learn F1. Which in my opinion is so horrible broken right now :(

If Mag gets the drive, either he do good against Alonso and have a long career in McLaren or doing a Kovalainen. If they do choose Mag, I hope he will do well, otherwise the fans and media are going to remind them about dropping Button for Mag.

My problem with giving Mag the drive is that it seems the one improving is actually Button.. Mag is once ahead in quali with 9 vs something to Button, but it stayed at 9 while Button eventually get ahead (10-9). In race there is no contest. In Sochi where the track is new for both of them, Button beats Mag convincingly. As much as people are thinking it's only fair for Mag to get the drive because he is a rookie, I also think it's only fair for Button to get the drive because he is still in the top of his game and actually improved his result vs his team mate and simply the better driver out of the two.

If Mag gets the drive, either he do good against Alonso and have a long career in McLaren or doing a Kovalainen. If they do choose Mag, I hope he will do well, otherwise the fans and media are going to remind them about dropping Button for Mag.

My problem with giving Mag the drive is that it seems the one improving is actually Button.. Mag is once ahead in quali with 9 vs something to Button, but it stayed at 9 while Button eventually get ahead (10-9). In race there is no contest. In Sochi where the track is new for both of them, Button beats Mag convincingly. As much as people are thinking it's only fair for Mag to get the drive because he is a rookie, I also think it's only fair for Button to get the drive because he is still in the top of his game and actually improved his result vs his team mate and simply the better driver out of the two.

Magnussen had a Gearbox failure in Sochi, was forced to start from the 11th, used to much fuel in start of the race to gain places and had to cruise for the rest of the race and finished 5th in the race. During the whole weekend he was quicker than Button, up and until Q3. Sochi says nothing about Button beating Magnussen convincingly, imho it shows a freshman that lacks experience but has the most important part covered, speed!. But he is racing a former WORLD champion that is a very good racer and have done this for 14 years. And lets not forget just how long it took for Button to find his speed.

Anyway, until Spa i was in doubt about Magnussens future, he simply gave up his positions to easily, since then i am convinced he has what it takes.

It's a tough situation. Magnussen might have more potential to come, but Button is very good and Mag is no Hamilton. I'd still like to see Button around the paddock, much more than Magnussen if I'm honest with you. Button has had a long run, but still has a good fight in him. If I were Honda I'd be pushing them to keep Button for the name and legacy alone, give him one or two more seasons and then hire some top prospect.

Back