Formula 1 - 2011 Season

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
F1 2010 produced a new constructors champion with Red Bull another new world drivers champion in Sebastian Vettel – now in 2011 we’ll have 5 former champions in the grid (assuming Schumi stays). Additionally for 2011 we have a new tire constructor (with supposedly “edgier” compound choices), moveable rear-wings and KERS back on the table (going to be interesting to see if the cars don’t look like whales!).

In the build up to 2011 we kick off immediately with a young driver test and a new Pirelli tire test.

History threads: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

They do need to make the tyres have a bigger difference between the two compounds, how many laps did Button do today on the "softs" ?

Are Webber and Kubica both free to move next year, ie end of contracts this year? If Kubica is then I'd like to see him replace Massa at Ferrari, nothing against Massa but it would be good to see Robert in one of the very top teams.

Other rule and other changes and some extra on already mentioned ones:
- F-duct is forbidden, as well as any other that requires extra movement/work done by the driver in the cockpit (excluding the adjustable rearwing)
- Adjustable rearwing, electronically adjustable rearwing to reduce downforce - can only be used when you're less than one second from the driver ahead of you
- 107% rule is back - every driver has to be within 107% of the pole position time in qualifying in order to qualify to race
- Pirelli tires will replace the current Bridgestone tires
- Due KERS's return, the minimum car weight is risen from 620 to 640kg
- The cars weight distribution is set to 46:54

---

Also, currently confirmed team/driver changes according to wikipedia

Red Bull Racing (Renault)
- Sebastian Vettel
- Mark Webber

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes (Mercedes)
- Lewis Hamilton
- Jenson Button

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro (Ferrari)
- Fernando Alonso
- Felipe Massa
- Jules Bianchi (testdriver)

Mercedes GP Petronas (Mercedes)
- Nico Rosberg
- Michael Schumacher

Renault F1 Team (Renault)
- Robert Kubica

AT&T Williams (Cosworth)
- Rubens Barrichello
- Valtteri Bottas (testdriver)

Force India F1 Team (Mercedes)

Sauber F1 Team (Ferrari)
- Kamui Kobayashi
- Sergio Pérez
- Esteban Gutiérrez (testdriver)

Scuderio Toro Rosso (Ferrari)
- Sébastien Buemi
- Jaime Algersuari

Team Lotus (Renault) (NOTE: Team name will most likely change)

Hispania Racing F1 Team (Cosworth)

Marussia Virgin Racing (Cosworth)
- Timo Glock

Season 2011 races with dates
1. Bahrain GP, Sakhir 13 March
2. Australian GP, Melbourne 27 March
3. Malaysian GP, Kuala Lumpur 10 April
4. Chinese GP, Sanghai1 17 April
5. Turkish GP, Istanbul Park 8 May
6. Spanish GP, Barcelona 22 May
7. Monaco GP, Monte Carlo 29 May
8. Canadian GP, Montreal 12 June
9. European GP, Valencia 26 June
10. British GP, Silverstone 10 July
11. German GP, Nürburgring 24 July
12. Hungarian GP, Budapest 31 July
13. Belgian GP, Spa 28 August
14. Italian GP, Monza 11 September
15. Singapore GP, Singapore 25 September
16. Japanese GP, Suzuka 9 October
17. Korean GP, Yeongam 16 October
18. Indian GP, Greater Noida 30 October
19. Abu Dhabi GP, Abu Dhabi 13 November
20. Brazilian GP, São Paulo 27 November

Petrov can lose his seat for next year... Last race performance won't be enough. I hope they keep Brazil as last place, Abu Dhabi was such a shit place for final race.

So if you don't set the time in qualifying, does that mean you can't even race? e.g. Alonso not qualifying at all in Monaco this year because he smashed his car in FP3.

I don't understand this from Kaotik's post

- F-duct is forbidden, as well as any other that requires extra movement/work done by the driver in the cockpit (excluding the adjustable rearwing)
- Adjustable rearwing, electronically adjustable rearwing to reduce downforce - can only be used when you're less than one second from the driver ahead of you

Why ban the F fuct onlyto replace it with a more complicated device that does the same thing? I can imagine someone's wing getting stuck in the low downforce mode just as they go into a corner and they would be straight off.

How do they uge the one second rule as well also?

Why ban the F fuct onlyto replace it with a more complicated device that does the same thing? I can imagine someone's wing getting stuck in the low downforce mode just as they go into a corner and they would be straight off.

The rearwing adjustment will be just pressing a button from your wheel, while f-duct requires you to keep your hand (or other body part) pressed against a hole for the duration you want f-duct to do something.

The one second rule will probably be just enforced by gps or something, they can track the cars quite damn accurately on the track

It's to improve overtaking. If everybody has a F-duct it will still be harder to overtake. Now the following car can change the angle of the rear wing so he will have less drag and it will be easier to follow/overtake. Atleast that is the theory.

infinity4 said:
Abu Dhabi was such a shit place for final race.

Watching the pre-race coverage on the BBC they interviewed the CEO for the Abu Dhabi race track (Richard Gregan - he was at Toyota before) and the overall response from the teams was that it was a great event for those taking part.
You also had Ferrari world theme park and you had Jake Humphreys learning how to race with Jean Alesi it seemed like a nice place for petrol heads. There is a big culture for speed and crazy cars in that part of the world.

So... why was it shit, I mean Brazil has great atmosphere and bunda's no doubt...

Only complaint I would have as a spectator is if the track layout of Yas Marina was redesigned slightly to allow more overtaking.

Each to their own I suppose.

EDIT: Just to hammer my point home -

“The track and the paddock facilities had the competing drivers and teams in the series purring with compliments. To hear people talk about us in some ways becoming the benchmark for F1 circuits around the world is great.”
- Richard Cregan (ok so he is a bit biased.. :p but compliments from your peers are usually the most sincere.)

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to change the circuit so there are better overtaking opportunities, but they spent a billion dollars on it so they must think it is perfect and if they change it, it is an admission that they made a mistake. I guess pride comes into the picture at that point.

Watching the pre-race coverage on the BBC they interviewed the CEO for the Abu Dhabi race track (Richard Gregan - he was at Toyota before) and the overall response from the teams was that it was a great event for those taking part.
You also had Ferrari world theme park and you had Jake Humphreys learning how to race with Jean Alesi it seemed like a nice place for petrol heads. There is a big culture for speed and crazy cars in that part of the world.

So... why was it shit, I mean Brazil has great atmosphere and bunda's no doubt...

Only complaint I would have as a spectator is if the track layout of Yas Marina was redesigned slightly to allow more overtaking.

Each to their own I suppose.

EDIT: Just to hammer my point home -

- Richard Cregan (ok so he is a bit biased.. :p but compliments from your peers are usually the most sincere.)

Awsome facilities is great for teams and to impress sponsors, But F1 as a sport, as a competition, is having good facilities something that improves the show? No. Tossing a billion at building expensive buildings is something everyone can do if they want. Creating a race that is actually fun to watch is something money can't buy.

Thats why I always feel a bit awkward whenever you hear teams or presentors talk about how great the facilities are at a certain track. Sure, that is great for them. But all those millions of people watching the race (meaning teams have cash to go racing) do you think they really care about facilities? Ofcourse not. I really couldn't care less if they had to prepare the cars in some shack at the side of the track. What I want to see is good racing, not expensive buildings that I will never get to enter anyway.

I agree the track needs some minor tweaks and it should be an overtakers delight.

I thought the race was awesome by the way, especially watching Alonso stuck behind Petrov for all those laps was quite a delight. ;)

I agree the track needs some minor tweaks and it should be an overtakers delight.

I thought the race was awesome by the way, especially watching Alonso stuck behind Petrov for all those laps was quite a delight. ;)
Not for me. I am happy for Petrov but I was so disheartened that Ferrari didn't have Alonso out there for longer. Webber had some purple sectors after he changed tyres but then it stopped up. Ferrari should have used Massa in a better way to test if the primes were worth going into the pack for.

Oh well. Bring on the next season!

Hopefully in 2011 there isn't one extremely dominant car/driver. Redbulls are quick. Vettle is very fast in them. Hopefully the changes next year don't cause Redbull to get even faster compared to the rest. Though the changes wouldn't seem to affect overall car performance that much, so I'd still expect Redbulls to be great in quali, though in the race, if other cars can keep up the pace, it might become somewhat more interesting.

No more double diffuser so I guess that will rock the boat a bit. The adjustable rear-wing is going to be real interesting coupled with KERS. Is that combination going to be overtake-at-will on the straights?

No more double diffuser so I guess that will rock the boat a bit. The adjustable rear-wing is going to be real interesting coupled with KERS. Is that combination going to be overtake-at-will on the straights?

Most likely not, the driver driving in front can use KERS too, so the overtaker only gains the advantage of adjustable wing

It will probably help a little bit as you also got the advantage of a slipstream and less drag from the wing so you effectivly have a bit more power left from kers and the engine to overtake.

Most likely not, the driver driving in front can use KERS too, so the overtaker only gains the advantage of adjustable wing

It will probably help a little bit as you also got the advantage of a slipstream and less drag from the wing so you effectivly have a bit more power left from kers and the engine to overtake.
I don't think an adjustable rear-wing is to be underestimated. I will most likely give a huge boost in straight-line speed.

I'm sure it will help but I don't think there will be extreme speed differences. That would be dangerous I think. Probably enough to overtake but not a 50kmph difference.

My only worry is that overtaking may get a bit too artificial. You got KERS (which still sucks btw as teams are not allowed to get the most out of it, instead it's a expensive part that only gives limited boost. Something that could just as easily and at almost not extra cost be done by just allowing the engine rev limit to be higher for a certain amount of time. But hey, everything for making F1 look ''green''. Not that anybody really gives a fuck at all) and now the rear wing.

I would rather see that they just change the car aerodynamics to make cars naturally more capable of overtaking. Just introduce uncomplicated wings that don't disturb the air too much and allow teams to get most of the downforce out of things like the ground effect.

Back