Formula 1 - 2014 Season

Any sort of reverse grid or equalizing the field artificially is retarded, even suggesting something like that should be a punishable offense.
why ?the thing is unbalanced since like, forever [shrug]
nowadays basically result = 10% driver + 90% car
Perhaps you're happen with it being a battle between which engineers are better but I'ld prefer (& I think the mojority of people) would prefer a more balanced ratio.
Would the races be more exciting if they started in reverse order? yes or no, well obviously yes
would it be more of a showmanship of a drivers skill? yes
The fastest cars will still on probability win but the end result would be something closer to 30% driver + 70% car
Why are you against a more balanced test?

why ?the thing is unbalanced since like, forever [shrug]
nowadays basically result = 10% driver + 90% car
Perhaps you're happen with it being a battle between which engineers are better but I'ld prefer (& I think the mojority of people) would prefer a more balanced ratio.
Would the races be more exciting if they started in reverse order? yes or no, well obviously yes
would it be more of a showmanship of a drivers skill? yes
The fastest cars will still on probability win but the end result would be something closer to 30% driver + 70% car
Why are you against a more balanced test?

Because punishing someone for doing a better job is wrong at a fundamental core level.

By artificial equalizing I mean stuff like reverse grid, extra weights and everything like that. All cars being identical is something that wouldn't bother me (though the engineering battle is interesting as well), but handicapping success is idiotic, even if simpletons would like the spectacle more, just stick with WWE.

The only way it would "work" is if the grid was formed based on reversed championship ranking and either there are no time trials at all or keeping time trials as a separate event altogether and giving some points for it and then more points for Sunday's race. The reverse grid is just a terrible idea.

Last edited:
And teams would just go slower to get higher up the grid
Where would cars that didn't bother setting a lap for qualifying end up in a reverse grid?
both of you misunderstand
there is no qualifying,

points before the final race =
1Lewis Hamilton334 = start grid place 22
2Nico Rosberg317 = grid place 21
3Daniel Ricciardo214 = grid place 20
4Sebastian Vettel159 = grid place 19
5Fernando Alonso157 etc
6Valtteri Bottas156
7Jenson Button106
8Felipe Massa98
9Nico Hulkenberg80
10Kevin Magnussen55
11Kimi Raikkonen53
12Sergio Perez47
13Jean-Eric Vergne22
14Daniil Kvyat8
15Romain Grosjean8
16Jules Bianchi2
17Pastor Maldonado2
18Esteban Gutierrez0
19Adrian Sutil0
20Max Chilton0
21Marcus Ericsson0
22Kamui Kobayashi0 = grid place 1

Dr Evil answer this question
why do you prefer
result = 10% driver + 90% car
more than
result = 30% driver + 70% car

I assume you will be happy then when the drivers get replaced by software and its
result = 0% driver + 100% car

Dr Evil answer this question
why do you prefer
result = 10% driver + 90% car
more than
result = 30% driver + 70% car

I assume you will be happy then when the drivers get replaced by software and its
result = 0% driver + 100% car

All cars being identical is something that wouldn't bother me.

Please don't put such statements on me as I have already stated otherwise. I'm just not ready to change everything on a whim in a long running sport to fix a short term problem while creating bunch of other problems. There is nothing wrong with the one winning who has put the best work in. The only problem currently is that the other teams have limited capacity to catch the Mercedes due to the lack of engine development.

I don't see why mediocrity should be rewarded. That's a problem seen far too often. Reward underachievers (whether team or individual) for underperforming. Puke...

Yes part of the problem is obviously the cars. Which leads to money. So fix that first before you start rewarding bad performance. Give the smaller teams a chance by divvying up money equally among teams. The only time a discrepency in money earned during a season should happen is via. performance in actual races (set amounts for each place) and any outside sponsorship the team manages to get. Within F1, however, teams (such as Ferrari) shouldn't get a larger share of the money just because they carry a name (like Ferrari, for example) without earning it...via racing.

Regards,
SB

Congrats to Hamilton...very good season. He really deserves the championship.

Also Niki Lauda style hats up for Rosberg...I guess not many people at the beginning of the season thought that Rosberg beats Hamilton in qualifications. But he really needs to increase his race speed.

Also congrats to Williams for their performance!

I hope that the other teams substantially improve next season.

I'm just not ready to change everything on a whim in a long running sport to fix a short term problem
But mate its not a short term problem, its been going on for years, every years its been a battle between 1 or 2 car manufacturers
mercedes now
red bull before that

What do you do for the first race of the season?
how do they decide who goes first/last in qualifying now? i.e. flip a coin, last names whatever.

hopefully in the 2015 championship theres only 9 or so teams taking part, as it might make the organizers wake up and fix the issue, Was this an exciting season? basically after the first 3 or races the season was over, it was just seeing which one of the 2 mercedes drivers would win.

I don't think going first in qualifying offers the same advantage as going first in a race.

I agree that F1 is broken, I couldn't be bothered to watch the last dozen races this season. I would like to see more exciting races with multiple cars fighting for wins each week. I don't like the idea that finishing last is rewarded as it could lead to some silly abuses. Perhaps some sort of hybrid system of qualifying times with the reverse order. Ie being in first place you start at the back but you can move up based on qualification speed. Also have to keep safety issues in mind as you don't really want cars that are too slow leading into corner 1.

The money needs to be much more evenly distributed to get to the heart of the issue or radical design rule changes.

But mate its not a short term problem, its been going on for years, every years its been a battle between 1 or 2 car manufacturers
mercedes now
red bull before that

We've had plenty of seasons where the winner was decided in the last race like two of Vettel's championships and out of his four wins, Webber was never the runner up. But yeah usually it's lonely at the top fixing things by ruining the sport aspect is not the answer. Would you want Usain Bolt to start 5m behind the rest at Olympics? Would it make it more interesting for you? and would you like laser beams with that?

Was this an exciting season? basically after the first 3 or races the season was over, it was just seeing which one of the 2 mercedes drivers would win.

Well we don't usually get to see team mates battling for the championship and there were other interesting things in the season as well, such as the performance of Ricciardo and team Williams. Many interesting battles for the podium in many races. Things could be a lot better and hopefully next year at least the other Mercedes powered teams have a better answer against the engine provider, but not letting them start in the front or giving them rubber bands...

Last edited:
Well, I thought this season was fantastic. Yes, I may be biased, but I honestly thought the new cars offer some fantastic racing. I enjoyed seeing how these cars are driven at the limit and has overal produced very good races. Just because both Mercedes drivers drove off into the distance, doesn't mean there wasn't excitment to be found behind them. In that sense, I think the new formula is on the right track. It can only get better, if Mercedes dominance gets reduced a bit and the pack moves closer.

I also enjoyed this season even greatly, at times.

Because of the engine freeze though, I anticipate the next one will be worse.

I'm not sure if this won't bite Mercedes back, by rallying all non - Merc teams against them. Then they might even change the engine back as they threaten to and Mercedes will lose much more. (This is F1 politics which I know little about)

I can see how they have a valid point, a re-phrasal of "rules are rules". But in this case they go against technical innovation (which they claim they advocate btw), which is deep down there, at the heart of F1 in my view.

I'm not sure it'll be possible for the other teams to force engine changes in 2016. It requires a majority decision to change it, and it isn't just Mercedes themselves that have an interest in not opening up development. In 2015, 4 of the teams are using Mercedes power units. Honda might not be that interested in opening up engine development depending on how competitive they are. That might be 5 teams not wanting to open up development. Given that there are currently only 10 teams competing next year they might be hard-pushed to get any changes through.

I think Honda would be actively opposed to it, after all the regs change, and the direction of the engine technology, is what put Honda on the grid, so I think they would be fighting hard against it.

They changed the rules to match the direction car manufactures are going with smaller engines with turbos. People like Horner are just butt hurt that they backed a loser in Renault this time. If they had switched to Mercedes do we really think he'd want to go back to the other engines?

He's using the doom and gloom around the small teams for his own advantage.

Would you want Usain Bolt to start 5m behind the rest at Olympics?
Mate, the way the races go now, is the fastest cars have the biggest advantages from qualifying thus they start at the front of the field, i.e. Huassain Bolt starts 5m in front of the field.
the thing is even if they started at reverse order it prolly won't make much difference to the final result, eg both red bull cars started last in the previous race, yet finished not too far off where they did in their final rankings, 4th and 8th. Also accusations that such a system being 'open for abuse' are illogical, think about it, how can you become F1 champion by losing every race so you start at pole position? :)

Back