Formula 1 - 2011 Season

Unlike the rest of the middle east its ok to wear a fred flintstone t-shirt to the race
because they dont like the flintstones, but the people of Abu Dhabi do......

Vettel on pole in front of Hamilton and Button.

What a stunning lap. He has now matched Mansell's 1992 record of 14 poles in a season.

Vettel on pole in front of Hamilton and Button.

What a stunning lap. He has now matched Mansell's 1992 record of 14 poles in a season.

Yes, he matched Mansell's record but in longer season. Still quite an achievement :p.

I think tomorrows race won't change much at the front of the grid, maybe except Massa crashing with Hamilton and Alonso moving place or two up.

Vettel's first piece of bad luck this season, arrived 10 races too late.

Great race by Hamilton and Alonso. Alonso tried hard getting the advantage before going on primes, but it didn't work. Alonso can still beat Button for P2 in the championship.

Hell no,
i'd like to be in the press conference and ask the following question

"So Alonso how many people have been fired from F1 illegally helping you win"

Alonso yesterday

Red Bull, Michelin & especially Vettel himself are dead serious on finding wtf caused the puncture - according to MTV3, Vettel said that usually the tire pressure drops during some 2-3 corners after puncture, this was completely sudden drop with no apparent reason.
He even went after the race to investigate the scene to find anything that could give some clue on what caused it, without any luck though.
They also retrieved every single piece (that they could find, obviously) of the blown tire to help finding the reason.

So far there has been no explanation of any kind for the accident.

Red Bull, Michelin & especially Vettel himself are dead serious on finding wtf caused the puncture - according to MTV3, Vettel said that usually the tire pressure drops during some 2-3 corners after puncture, this was completely sudden drop with no apparent reason.
He even went after the race to investigate the scene to find anything that could give some clue on what caused it, without any luck though.
They also retrieved every single piece (that they could find, obviously) of the blown tire to help finding the reason.

So far there has been no explanation of any kind for the accident.
Michelin sure is interested in helping Pirelli solve the problem. ;)

Anyway, we know RBR like to go to extremes, they did it with the camber and they do it with tyre pressures. This may be them just taking it too far on Vettel's car.

So,

Anyone looking forward to Abu Dhabi?

I know I am, 'cause I'll be sitting in corner 8 throughout the weekend :cool:

Cheers

So... how was it? :) I couldn't help thinking while watching the race that some how, Abu Dhabi does have a lot of appeal. It may not be the most interesting track, but the infrastructure does look very impressive and I like that the race progresses into twilight. Any pictures?

BTW: JoeSaward seems to be right on the money once again, asking exactly the right questions:

JoeSaward said:
De La Rosa signs for HRT. Interesting timing…

Pedro de la Rosa has signed a two-year deal with HRT and as the team is believed to already has a deal with Tonio Liuzzi it is logical to assume that this will be driver pairing in 2012. That means that Daniel Ricciardo will be moving on and the word in F1 circles is that he and Jean-Eric Vergne are the likely driver line-up at Scuderia Toro Rosso, with the two current drivers being dropped. That might seem like rather a radical step as neither driver will have much experience, but Red Bull has always liked to throw its best drivers up against one another and see who comes out ahead. It then tends to throw away the losers, which is a very good reason for young drivers who can avoid the scheme not to sign for Red Bull in their formative years.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/de-la-rosa-signs-for-hrt-interesting-timing/

This does not bode well for Buemi and Alguersuari?

So... how was it? :) I couldn't help thinking while watching the race that some how, Abu Dhabi does have a lot of appeal. It may not be the most interesting track, but the infrastructure does look very impressive and I like that the race progresses into twilight. Any pictures?

Exciting. And loud!

If loudness was a direct measure of performance, the Lotus Renaults would have been world champs.

I gained a lot of respect for the slower half of the drivers/teams. The race in front was pretty boring from where we sat, - at the end of the straight. All the action between Button/Webber/Massa was in other parts of the track.

However, it wasn't unusual to see 3-4 of the slower cars trying to out-brake each other where we were sitting. Amazing how precisely they hit their brake marker lap after lap after lap. And a lot of good overtaking too.

As for the venue: The circuit/surroundings are spectacular, especially around 6 P.M. when night falls.
Everything was very well organized. You park a fair distance away from the circuit and board a shuttle bus. We only had to wait more than 2 minutes for a bus saturday night after qualifying.
My only gripe was with the after-race concerts. You had to hand in your camera before entering the concert-area. We didn't want to queue for hours after the concert to get our cameras back, so will have to see Paul McCartney some other time. The camera thing struck me as odd; Trying to make a few bucks off of official photos when we each paid 300 euros for our tickets :???:

All in all, a very special experience. Not my last F1 race, that's for sure. I want to go to Spa and Silverstone next.

Edit: Forgot: We had 400 english fans to the right of us, to the left we had around 250 german fans. There was an entire english family sitting in front of us. On saturday, the mother had a T-shirt with "Future mother in law of Jenson Button" printed on the back, 3-4 seats down, the daughter (not a looker) sat with "Future Mrs. Button" printed on the back of her T-shirt. On race day the whole family was kitted out in official McLaren/Vodafone wear. When Vettel drove off, they leaned forward, looked to their left at the germans and kipped small Union Jacks. - We nearly pissed ourselves.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
My only gripe was with the after-race concerts. You had to hand in your camera before entering the concert-area. We didn't want to queue for hours after the concert to get our cameras back, so will have to see Paul McCartney some other time. The camera thing struck me as odd; Trying to make a few bucks off of official photos when we each paid 300 euros for our tickets :???:
No, they're not - it's the basic rule of almost any big band / artist that you can't bring your own camera gear into concerts (in general though, this only means those professional and semi-professional.. what's the word for those cameras? not some basic pocketcams)

No, they're not - it's the basic rule of almost any big band / artist that you can't bring your own camera gear into concerts (in general though, this only means those professional and semi-professional.. what's the word for those cameras? not some basic pocketcams)

It was *all* cameras, compact cameras included, phones excluded.

It is perfectly fair and reasonable to ban cameras for a normal concert, but for a concert immediately following a F1 race, where 70% of spectators have a camera of some sort, is just plain dumb.

Cheers

Back