Formula 1 - 2021 Season

Like Hamilton would need to really care about his income anymore, ever, even if we ignore all the other businesses he's already involved in?
The public backslash from the event is already costing FOM and they for sure wouldn't take kindly to their highest profile marketing asset leaving due FIA breaking their own rules.

So your point is Hamilton should quit so FOM can (maybe) get angry with the FIA... Who won't care because they commercial side of things doesn't affect them.

That makes no sense.

So your point is Hamilton should quit so FOM can (maybe) get angry with the FIA... Who won't care because they commercial side of things doesn't affect them.

That makes no sense.
Reputation does affect them. Or did they suddenly stop caring about reputation after they got Mercedes to drop the case, it mattered only 'till then?

Reputation does affect them. Or did they suddenly stop caring about reputation after they got Mercedes to drop the case, it mattered only 'till then?

Why can't you just answer the question? You said Hamilton should quit to make a point. What exactly will that point be? Because so far I haven't heard anything from you apart from maybe some bad press. That won't last more than a couple of months because as soon as the racing starts there are more interesting things to talk about.

So as I said quitting will only affect Hamilton. The rest of the world will simply move on and any long term hurt will probably be next to nonexistent.

All the greatest drivers will end their careers eventually but F1 will continue on. This has always been the way. Hamilton should not quit at the peak of his career; and this set back, is only a hit on trying to beat Schumachers record. Otherwise there’s no reason for him to stop.
We can only hope things change so this is not repeated.

There is also a good chance Mercedes have built a great car for next years new regs as they basically focused on that instead of developing the W12 this year.

That is also amusing considering they still won the constructors championhip anyway.

Doesn’t Lewis have “Still I Rise” tattooed on him? He’s coming back or he won’t live up to the words on the tin. Hope the cars are still as close.

It would have been easier if he had actually chosen to speak for himself as is required by his contract.
The same contract that says they race by the rules? The same rules that were ignored by Masi to spice things up? Masi, after last year’s Eifel GP: “There’s a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars passed [sic].”

Last edited:
I am torn on that last race. I think Lewis was deserving to win that one while Max was clearly deserving the title. He was taken out twice by a Mercedes, once by tyres failure and still got more win and poles overall (not counting the last race).
Not sure how he can be considered a sore loser, Lewis made the end of the season what it was.

From Brazil onwards Lewis had Max well beat, even with them throwing him out of qauli because his wing was 0.2mm out, it was Thanos level "I am inevitable" from Lewis, push me off be dirty all you want I'm coming through. Abu Dhabi was no different, Lewis basically crushed Max in the last race, until that famous gift from Masi.

Let's hope he doesn't walk, I'm not sure I could stand all those new plastic fans cheering week in week out.
Of course but from Brazil Verstappen race pace was barely better than Bottas. And we know Verstappen is way better than Bottas.Mercedes car was clearly faster during race in the end.

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it.

That said, the way the race went, I have little to comment on it.

I think the biggest mistake Mercedes made is that they worried too much about losing the lead. Overtaking is not *that* hard on this track and that was made obvious really quickly. You can delay it one lap perhaps two if you’re really lucky.

I think perhaps more than that they were afraid that an overtaking incident would take out both cars and that is why they didn’t change tires when they should have, and conversely, changed them much too quickly when they could have stayed out on yellows much longer and it would also have been an easy victory.

So yeah Max was lucky but Mercedes made a lot of strategic decisions that helped this luck.

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it.

That said, the way the race went, I have little to comment on it.

I think the biggest mistake Mercedes made is that they worried too much about losing the lead. Overtaking is not *that* hard on this track and that was made obvious really quickly. You can delay it one lap perhaps two if you’re really lucky.

I think perhaps more than that they were afraid that an overtaking incident would take out both cars and that is why they didn’t change tires when they should have, and conversely, changed them much too quickly when they could have stayed out on yellows much longer and it would also have been an easy victory.

So yeah Max was lucky but Mercedes made a lot of strategic decisions that helped this luck.
Yeah, stupid Mercedes not figuring out FIA would suddenly stop following it's own rules. They should have assumed they won't and do it in very specific, unheard of way by removing lapped cars only between leader and 2nd place.

To put a bow on this season, listen to For F1’s Sake 2021 Review. They’re even funnier than usual. As far as F1 podcasts go, they’re a close second to Missed Apex and ahead of any Gary Anderson / Mark Hughes appearance on The Race just because of consistency.

This is more 2022 news, but Szafnauer left Aston: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59881786 No immediate replacement (a wild Whitmarsh appeared!).

Back