First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

nor is my argument based on originality.

Then you say:

The LBP and COD4 examples were there for me to show you what I meant by things that nobody has done before.

"Originality," or "things people haven't done before."

You're basing your arguments on a very broad thesis. It's still very difficult to narrow down exactly what it is you would find more favorable within CoD4 that would, in your view, eclipse the quality of Killzone's trailers.

Actually not 4xAA, the dev motherh has said on the Sony forum KZ2 thread that it has 2xAA not 4xAA. I would though agree that it easily fools one to think it is 4xAA.

Can i have a link to that please? The game is just to smooth for it just be be 2xMSAA.

Actually not 4xAA, the dev motherh has said on the Sony forum KZ2 thread that it has 2xAA not 4xAA. I would though agree that it easily fools one to think it is 4xAA.

Not true what he said was that in one section it dropped down from 2xAA from 4xAA I have actually posted this quote and link in this thread.

Here is what I posted earlier:

There has been speculation about the pre-pre-alpha comment from motherh (killzone rep).

Just found this:

Mothreh said:

Quote:
One point, the 4x full screen anti-aliasing is actually 2x.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

Seems to lend credance to the early stage of development IMO.

Not true what he said was that in one section it dropped down from 2xAA from 4xAA I have actually posted this quote and link in this thread.

Here is what I posted earlier:
There has been speculation about the pre-pre-alpha comment from motherh (killzone rep).

Just found this:

Quote:
Mothreh said:

Quote:
One point, the 4x full screen anti-aliasing is actually 2x.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

Seems to lend credance to the early stage of development IMO.

Thanks, and he seems to mean the whole demo was at 2xAA otherwise he would have said "at one point the 4xAA was turned down to 2xAA". He was making a notice to the posters in the thread that where assuming it was 4xAA when they where writing posts to each other. Well IMO atleast! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly it seems to be so. Seems that the intro cutscene fooled on to think it was very close to the CG E3'05 and then the rest is the same even if it's not.

Its not even close, people just don't remember it very well. The opening sequence in the CGI shows a huge city at war, while the real deal shows 10% of that city with some unimpressive (compared to the cgi) stuff going on.

image1qk3.jpg

At times the gameplay trailer does not exactly impress polygon-count or texture-wise. I mean it is OK but very far from being anything revolutionary. Some parts definately make me feel a bit last-gen-ish.

I also hope they are going to have some parts with more colors than grey, brownish grey and greenish grey. Yeah, the dark colors set a grim mood blah blah blah, nevertheless it is going to get a bit boring if that's all they use.

In any case some other parts look very very promising.

Best explosion i've seen in a game TBH. look at those purple beams of light shooting out from that high intensity explosion. truely AMAZING!
4uajfus.jpg

6baxijp.jpg

When you make a claim like that, the onus is on you, not me.

GoW, for example, did plenty of things that nobody has done before, or taken features to a indisputably higher level than anything before it (which IMO is the same thing). Someone could point them out, and if he said "GoW is the best looking FPS ever", he'd at least have a case.

Someone could say GT:HD is the best looking driving game out there. Sure, its track and environment detail is not up to the standards of PGR3 or DiRT, but the cars look the best by far, and it's almost indisputable. It doesn't prove that GT:HD is the best looking racer, but it gives the argument some serious legs.

I've clearly illustrated what you'd have to show me to convince me any game had a reasonable basis to recieve that lofty title, but I have no idea how to "show you wrong". As Nesh pointed out, all games have flaws. However, this isn't about flaws, but rather the complete opposite.

COD 4 looks like, just another video game. I am not capable of breaking games down at a technical level so I couldn't tell you why but it just does.

KZ2 on the other hand..simply gets my blood pumped.

I have the same reaction to KZ2 I did to Gears originally. It's just awesome.

I gather you think Gears looks great? Well there are plenty of people who will tell you Gears is nothing impressive at all, that tons of games surpass Gears easily, and apparantly they believe it, and there's nothing you can do. I've found them on other forums. So basically, you're playing that role now, but with KZ.

Some things that stand out..well the gun model is pretty much the best ever. A little thing but cool. Gun models are something that progress had stopped on, because they were "good enough".

The size of the characters..COD4 has small characters..there that scene in COD4 that looks much like KZ..and the guys are about 1/2 size of KZ's..that simply isn't impressive. The animation is poorer too.

COD4 should have gone for 30FPS..because they just got punked by KZ imo. Every time I hear COD4 is 60 FPS I think "what a waste, could have looked a lot better". Maybe at 30 they could have begun to compete, at least. As it is they're "best of the rest". Distant second. Luckily for them they aren't actually up against KZ this year, so they'll still sell.

The lighting model and AA in KZ are also outstanding..I think it's the first next gen game with true 4XAA, seriously.

Also, the atmosphere. There's just something so dark, bloody, and violent about KZ. It's like Gears, but once again tops Gears easily in that area. I was blown away by how visceral and violent Gears was..well KZ takes it to the next level..even grittier.

Animation again..KZ makes Gears just look stiff. Period. Check out the litlle segment with the gatling gunner guy..there's a split second where he gets real close and the animation is just mind blowing..I'm sorry UE3 has been totally left in the dust here. UT3 looks like old news all the sudden. Epic better bring major improvements to Gears 2 if they want to keep up..

But hey, we need to see more of KZ..it could still suck. But it sure looks awesome. If you ask me, MS needs a team trying to match this yesterday..MS does not have anything this cool, period.

codyo0.jpg

killzoneyk5.jpg

I really hope I dont get in trouble for doing such a blatant compare (it's after E3, right?) but it's the simplest way to do it. This is a similar scene from both games. One of these two games looks like it's on a different generation of hardware, it's that simple, I'll let you guess which one.

I think other games will catch up to KZ though. It's just pushing the ambition farthest at this time. By the time it comes out, I bet other games will have caught up. I think Battlefield: Bad Company is probably the top contender, not COD4. The ID5 game might be a contender too. It also sacrifices far away detail for a lot of close in detail, and of course it's structured a lot more like Gears (close in battles and 6-8 onscreen characters) than Halo 3 (20-30 onscreen and sweeping Vistas) which of course allows it to look better.

KZ is all about ambition and a large team. Other games will incrementally catch up, COD 4 is a good example of that.

I still cant beleive peple are moaning and bitching about KZ2s colour pallet, we have seen only ONE section of a level :rolleyes:

oh shut up. I am aware that it's only one part of the game, that's why I am hoping that other parts are more colorful

jimpo said:
I also hope they are going to have some parts with more colors than grey, brownish grey and greenish grey. Yeah, the dark colors set a grim mood blah blah blah, nevertheless it is going to get a bit boring if that's all they use.

What's so hard to understand about that?

I really hope I dont get in trouble for doing such a blatant compare (it's after E3, right?) but it's the simplest way to do it. This is a similar scene from both games. One of these two games looks like it's on a different generation of hardware, it's that simple, I'll let you guess which one.

Really it is not that simple and they look to "fight" in the same ballpark. The dark KZ2 ss makes it hard to see detail, see below. No clear winner yet. ;)

KZ2clearer.jpg

KZ2-sv3.jpg

KZ2smallSET2.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/KZ2bigSET2.jpg

Rangers said:
Some things that stand out..well the gun model is pretty much the best ever. A little thing but cool. Gun models are something that progress had stopped on, because they were "good enough".

The size of the characters..COD4 has small characters..there that scene in COD4 that looks much like KZ..and the guys are about 1/2 size of KZ's..that simply isn't impressive. The animation is poorer too.

COD4 should have gone for 30FPS..because they just got punked by KZ imo. Every time I hear COD4 is 60 FPS I think "what a waste, could have looked a lot better". Maybe at 30 they could have begun to compete, at least. As it is they're "best of the rest". Distant second. Luckily for them they aren't actually up against KZ this year, so they'll still sell.

The lighting model and AA in KZ are also outstanding..I think it's the first next gen game with true 4XAA, seriously.

The gun model is blurred the entire time, so it's hard to say whether it would qualify as the best model ever or not. I'm not sure what you meant by the models being "about 1/2 the size of KZ's"? Animation is one of the things I think CoD4 excels at. If it is poorer overall, it isn't by much.

I think most people, if they're being honest, would take 60fps over 30fps with motion blur; though the latter will very likely impress more in videos encoded at 30fps, and screens as evidenced by your compare.

Aren't there lots of games on both PS3 and Xbox360 with 4xAA?

The gun model is blurred the entire time, so it's hard to say whether it would qualify as the best model ever or not. I'm not sure what you meant by the models being "about 1/2 the size of KZ's"? Animation is one of the things I think CoD4 excels at. If it is poorer overall, it isn't by much.

I think most people, if they're being honest, would take 60fps over 30fps with motion blur; though the latter will very likely impress more in videos encoded at 30fps, and screens as evidenced by your compare.

If the visuals are the same, sure I'll take 60 over 30.

But they never are, so I'll always take 30 over 60.

And yeah, I noticed after the fact my KZ screen is blurry. I could have paused it a sharper spot but I'm about to go to bed so will not bother. Believe me I have the COD gametrailer currently paused where it's a mess of blocks, so unfortunate pauses can happen to both games.

I dont know, COD is just not exciting me anymore. I honestly think even Assassins Creed surpasses it.

But hey, we need to see more of KZ..it could still suck. But it sure looks awesome. If you ask me, MS needs a team trying to match this yesterday..MS does not have anything this cool, period.

Why?

For all this talk about Killzone 2's graphics we still know absolutely nothing about how it plays outside of that short gameplay video that was released. Microsoft already has Halo and that is more than enough to satisfy me and the millions of other people who will purchase it. What Microsoft needs to do is focus on a producing a greater variety of games in order to continue expanding its userbase, not worry about producing a graphical showcase to match Killzone 2.

The main gun model looks very well done and has this smooth look thanks to effects apart from good artwork and detail. But the other gun seen below does not. It looks very blurred out and not really good, like moire'. This should although be an easy fix for the developers. But main gun is perfect (the one in the begining and intro scene).

KZ2-sv4.jpg

Everything points to it being 2xAA and if not then it is 2xAA/4xAA combination. <-- Link

oh shut up. I am aware that it's only one part of the game, that's why I am hoping that other parts are more colorful

So thats your mature response? Honestly if all you like doing is telling people to shut up and acting like a little kid i suggest you go here

Yes, and both are in pre-alpha…

Mintmaster don't forget that Killzone 2 is "The Halo-Killer" and also the more important budget for a game… so it only be the best game ever…:???:

Killzone2 was never intended to be compared to Halo or even become the Halo Killer.

The developers have said it a ton of times. Even motherh in us.playstation.com.

This is something that started from the media, magazines such as PSM and people, especially fanboys who have taken it and spread it everywhere making everyone think it was intended to replace Halo.

Back