First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

is this a killzone 2 thread or a fifa thead?

I'm sorry,
i didn't realize that some people aren't clever enough to read the entire discussion (where the fifa comment fits nicely into what we where discussing to begin with ( about having players instead of AI)).

I also didn't realize that you where a moderator.

If the mods find the discussion as offtopic, im sure they will delete it, and if you think they should delete it, there is a report button.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys, i don't suppose someone can sum up what's going on in KZ2 for me (these 50+ pages) ? Of course, aside from the obvious low-res textures, what other tricks are Guerilla using for this game?

Oh well, here we go. http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14400/Guerrilla-Killzone-2-Impossible-to-Do-on-Xbox-360/
Speaking to the Official PlayStation Magazine UK, Guerrilla managing director Herman Hulst and Killzone 2 producer Steven Ter Heide claimed that Killzone 2 would be impossible to develop on the Xbox 360.

"We are taking huge advantage of the architecture of PS3. I firmly believe that what we've shown we can get out of that machine would be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver on a competing machine." Herman Hulst, said.

Producer Steven Ter Heide added, "I would say impossible."

And then the only specific reasons he gave was, Blu-ray storage capacity and sixaxis.

Which begs the question, why not multiple DVD's? Which basically means he says, the game could be done on 360.

Here is the originating article and relevant quote.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=171290
Killzone 2 producer Steven Ter Heide added, "I would say impossible. We literally can't do this stuff on any machine other than the PS3. If you're developing a multiplatform game, and looking at your budgets, you have to find a common denominator between the systems and say: that's what I'm developing for. Whereas someone focused on a single platform can really take advantage of everything it has to offer.

"If you're not willing to make that investment then you're going to lose out on some options. To make it simple, the Xbox 360 doesn't have SixAxis or Blu-ray. PlayStation 3 does. And for us that's a really big thing. The level you've just seen is 2GB. We really need Blu-ray to make the game. I don't know how you could fit it on Xbox 360 without taking some shortcuts."

He makes a good point about multi-platform games though. A title designed specifically on each respective machine should be able to push it farther.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh-oh, these guys are going to get a lot of hate like Julian Eggbrecht.

And KZ2 will be picked apart with a fine tooth comb.

Uh-oh, these guys are going to get a lot of hate like Julian Eggbrecht.

I don't know if its hate, but there will certainly be commentary.

And KZ2 will be picked apart with a fine tooth comb.

It was always going to be, you can't hype a game for years and not have it dissected by the media and fan base. If KZ2 isn't one of the best games next year (I don't just mean best looking), it may well go down as a huge failure ie. Doom3; while a pretty good game by most accounts, took a ton of flak.

KZ2 isn't really possible on the X360 because of the deferred rendering it relies on. Apart from this, the rest shouldn't really be a problem...

KZ2 isn't really possible on the X360 because of the deferred rendering it relies on. Apart from this, the rest shouldn't really be a problem...

Yes I knew that, just didn't mention it.

I dont see a X360 game that looks as good as KZ2..maybe RE5 is closest..

But I do think 360 is capable of KZ2 level visuals, MS just needs to devote the time and budget to a single player experience of that magnitude.

It's worth saying that one game could be technically impossible while also duplicated as principally the same game. Consider the fillrate of PS2. Any game that used that to best effect couldn't be done on XB...exactly the same way. The renderer couldn't be done. But the game could be developed to be rendered differently. And as we've said on this board before, any game can be reduced to fit onto another hardware. The question is when does it stop being the same game? If you lose the extreme particle effects but everything else is the same, is it the same game?

It's worth saying that one game could be technically impossible while also duplicated as principally the same game.
*snip*

Exactly, KZ2 is using Quincunx AA and therefore difficult or impossible to implement on 360. ;)

:p

Is it because of the way MRTs are handled on 360?

XNA said:
Multiple Render Targets

Render targets function differently on Xbox 360 than on Windows. On Windows, a render target is always a texture in main memory, and is never cleared. On Xbox 360, the current render target is always set to the EDRAM output buffer. On Xbox, calls to SetRenderTarget and ResolveRenderTarget will both clear EDRAM, although ResolveRenderTarget copies the contents of EDRAM to a main memory texture first. For this reason, developers should call ResolveRenderTarget for their current render target before calling SetRenderTarget for a new render target. Developers can avoid problems by rendering fully to each render target before using a new render target, and rendering their final scene after all the other render targets have been resolved.

Is Quincunx AA similar to ATIs temporal AA?

Nope, Quincunx is 2xAA with a 'blur filter' and ATi's temporal AA is something completly different (I actually forgot a lot about it). But if I remember it correctly then it was different AA patterns in each frame that blends together. Also I think it was only effective at 60fps or better as long as the framerate was even. :smile:

Is Quincunx AA similar to ATIs temporal AA?

Nope. AMD's TAA changes the sample pattern every frame giving the illusion of higher AA if the framerate is sufficient.

AMD's AA in the X2900 series is more similar to QAA though. QAA takes samples from neighbouring pixels in a quincunx pattern. The pattern looks like the 5 dots on a D6 die.

It forces vsync I think (it might lock it to 60 fps but as my LCD TV is only 60hz I cannot test it higher)

They seem to have similar results anyway (the appearance of 4xAA using 2xAA etc.etc.), even if they are not the same.

It forces vsync I think (it might lock it to 60 fps but as my LCD TV is only 60hz I cannot test it higher)

They seem to have similar results anyway (the appearance of 4xAA using 2xAA etc.etc.), even if they are not the same.

No Quincunx AA is noticably more blurrier than temporal AA. And yes VSync needs to be on for temporal AA to work.

Back