First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Hmm... that's a pretty narrow definition. While I can appreciate SP co-op, it is not always entertaining. Wouldn't random side-quests/missions for group of players count as co-op too ?

By coop, I mean, and I assume everyone else means, people play together versus the game, and not against other people. The moment you're against other people it's competitive/PvP.

By coop, I mean, and I assume everyone else means, people play together versus the game, and not against other people. The moment you're against other people it's competitive/PvP.

Yes... I think this is a better definition since it allows for much more gameplay variations.

There is something in-between though. Traditional PvP games are pretty balanced and symmetric. Is there any game that offer an assymetric scenario (like in SP games) ? For example, 1 side comprises the regular players while the other consists of a player-controlled enemy boss.

Yes... I think this is a better definition since it allows for much more gameplay variations.

There is something in-between though. Traditional PvP games are pretty balanced and symmetric. Is there any game that offer an assymetric scenario (like in SP games) ? For example, 1 side comprises the regular players while the other consists of a player-controlled enemy boss.

Left for dead perhaps?

How about coop-competitive?

Teams battling teams, rather than AI?

AI will never be as interesting to battle as human opponents.

How about coop-competitive?

Teams battling teams, rather than AI?

AI will never be as interesting to battle as human opponents.

Teams battling teams is PvP.

Co-op traditionally means working together vs AI (aka singleplayer with splitscreen or online).

Now, if there was a game who managed to put players against players, while playing the singleplayer campaign (aka, that generic enemy your fighting is actually another player) it would be interesting.

I can't see how it would work thought, seeing how the only reason you play the singleplayer is for the story\progression\sense of accomplishment, and only the main character would get any story\progression as the others would, in a FPS game (or any other game) just be random grunts.

Co-op traditionally means working together vs AI (aka singleplayer with splitscreen or online).

Now, if there was a game who managed to put players against players, while playing the singleplayer campaign (aka, that generic enemy your fighting is actually another player) it would be interesting.

I can't see how it would work thought, seeing how the only reason you play the singleplayer is for the story\progression\sense of accomplishment, and only the main character would get any story\progression as the others would, in a FPS game (or any other game) just be random grunts.

Maybe one day a game will come with a system dynamic enough to handle progression of story even for the "bad guys."

Maybe one day a game will come with a system dynamic enough to handle progression of story even for the "bad guys."

But how would this actually work thought?

Say in Killzone 2, you probably kill like 1000 enemies by the time you are done. In order to achieve what we are talking about, every one of those enemies would have to be a player. And they need a story aswell, seeing how i don't see how anybody would want to play a random grunt for no perpuse\progression whatsoever except for getting the chance to kill the main guy once.

If the "bad guys" would have a story aswell, you would need 1000 "good guys" to be there as enemies for the bad guy. Which would just turn it into a PvP again.

It could work for replayability or simply a re-enactment of the SP boss encounters in the MP game section. I know I always wanted to ram a Chimeran Stalker into a group of snipers in Somerset and hear them scream.

I was thinking more in terms of a game where each unit would have limited capabilities so you would have to form teams of complementary units.

A sports game would be the most obvious example, where you have teams of players with different abilities and roles.

Not talking about Quake or whatever FPS game where you have teams but it's really ever many fragging for himself and you tally the totals of each "team."

I was thinking more in terms of a game where each unit would have limited capabilities so you would have to form teams of complementary units.

Well, you could play Fifa on PC 11vs11 (with a mod), meaning everybody just controlled 1 player for the entire match, however this mod project quickly died because of the following reasons:

1. 99% of people playing soccer games likes to score goals. There is max 3 strikers on each time, kinda hard to score goals then, unless you completely screw up team tactics.

2. 99% of the time your watching other people doing stuff with the ball, you on the other hand are bored out of your mind trying to get in the proper position to get a pass\tackle in, and mostly being ignored by your teammates.

But how would this actually work thought?

Say in Killzone 2, you probably kill like 1000 enemies by the time you are done. In order to achieve what we are talking about, every one of those enemies would have to be a player. And they need a story aswell, seeing how i don't see how anybody would want to play a random grunt for no perpuse\progression whatsoever except for getting the chance to kill the main guy once.

If the "bad guys" would have a story aswell, you would need 1000 "good guys" to be there as enemies for the bad guy. Which would just turn it into a PvP again.

Sorry. I meant it on a smaller scale i.e. more of a GeOW-esque squad supplemented with supporting NPCs on both sides. From there it'd be whoever manages to achieve their objective first (including killing the opposing force).

I'd say the approach there would require key characters on both sides (maybe even with genuine roles per character?).

Not to say that "this is the way to do it"; more like amidst the sea of ideas and possibilities, this is one I would like to test and establish as a foundation for a more refined concept.

Speaking of their artwork, what is the style called? Simple "concept art" or is there some notion that distinguishes it from all the other concept art? I'm guessing it is done in photoshop?

I don't get it... Why should it be differentiated from any other studio's concept art?

Most artists use Photoshop or Painter, though some guys may still stick to paper, pen and paint... our guys have done plenty of pencil sketches up until 2 years ago...

I don't get it... Why should it be differentiated from any other studio's concept art?

Most artists use Photoshop or Painter, though some guys may still stick to paper, pen and paint... our guys have done plenty of pencil sketches up until 2 years ago...

No I was just figuring that not all concept images have the same art style, but maybe they do? I mean I may draw a picture in photosop with the same content, but it will differ in the style I use, and so I'm wondering if the style used in that picture is called anything, rather than just being concept art because it conveys an idea.

Style depends on the artist usually... As for concept art, you may go for just broad impressions, or detailed images for modelers and texture painters to use as reference.

Well, you could play Fifa on PC 11vs11 (with a mod), meaning everybody just controlled 1 player for the entire match, however this mod project quickly died because of the following reasons:

1. 99% of people playing soccer games likes to score goals. There is max 3 strikers on each time, kinda hard to score goals then, unless you completely screw up team tactics.

2. 99% of the time your watching other people doing stuff with the ball, you on the other hand are bored out of your mind trying to get in the proper position to get a pass\tackle in, and mostly being ignored by your teammates.

is this a killzone 2 thread or a fifa thead?

Back