First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Yep. And remember this isn't real life. This is art. Movies don't use realistic lighting because generally speaking it's boring. They add lights where they're impossible and contradict the scene, in order to make something that looks better. In this game, without some adjustment to depth, the end result looks like a graphic novel. It's pretty awesome, but it would be better to have some distance adjustment IMO. That doesn't mean blurring the background completely out. The fact developers are over-using DOF the same as they've overused bloom doesn't make DOF an innately bad thing. A very subtle blur would be very good in many cases. And without blur, some hazing would be good. Again, the artists shouldn't overdo it. Too much can be as bad as too little, but a small touch would be welcome.

I see, my apologies from the misunderstanding.

Though, I do think if they did add hazing to distinguish depth, that a lot of people would cite that as a technical short coming and 'fog' lol.

But I see what you're saying now. I just absolutely HATE the use of DOF right now with next generation games. It's done so poorly and out of taste, just 'tossed in' because it's 'easy to do' for the current generation of games.

Even then though, atmospheric haze is something that generally doesn't become visable for about 25 miles or so right?

tha_con: I don't think they are talking about DOF in this case, but color gradiations with the depth of the scene. Like mountains appearing blue by the air in the distance.

Exactly. Now KZ's levels are war zones, so they should have plenty of smoke from gunshots, fire, explosions and lots of dust, too...

MGS4 does it quite well, for example.

500 different lightsources in a level seems like a lot to me.

Seems like they even have a sun as a lightsource despite trying to block it with their post processing stuff :LOL:

I hope a "day mode" is unlockable when completing the game.

I assume they took this picture when the filters were disabled.

killzone-2-20070824044817646-000.jpg

I'm not sure, but having 500 light sources there, doesn't mean the engine can cope with all of them at once without a hitch in framerate. From what I read, many of the lightsources are used up by flying rockets, flashes of blazing guns etc.

Very impressived.

I still hate the trend towards 30fps in most games now, especially FPS (I think Resistance would play even better at 60fps), but if they at least get it to run as smooth as Insomniac did their game with these graphics, I think I'll be happy enough :cool:

500 different lightsources in a level seems like a lot to me.

Seems like they even have a sun as a lightsource despite trying to block it with their post processing stuff :LOL:

I hope a "day mode" is unlockable when completing the game.

I assume they took this picture when the filters were disabled.

killzone-2-20070824044817646-000.jpg

OR..

It's a screenshot of an in door very well lit area of the game (as opposed to the outdoor, thundercloud-covered, night-time footage we've seen previously).. Seriously it doesn't take a genius to understand that the scenes shown before we're intentionally made to look dark and discoloured according to the environment the combat was taking place in..

Also even if it was a random artistic decision to make everything ark and gloomy then I don't understand what the fuss would have been about.. I didn't hear anybody complain about the "moody" look of movies like "Sin City" for example..

Also even if it was a random artistic decision to make everything ark and gloomy then I don't understand what the fuss would have been about

Exactly...the sheer grittiness of this game is part of what could make it so awesome, if they do it right.

Although, that said, I WOULD like to see some variety of course.

The light is coming from one place, and it's too strong to be artificial lighting in my opinion.

I stick with my thoughts about it being without the post processing effects. Seems like the most likely given what can be seen in the image.

Unless of course there are day sections of the game without the gloom.

I think you may have gotten the wrong end of the stick anyway, I am not against the gloomy feel of the game, I just think it would be nice to play through the game being able to see everything.

I'm not sure, but having 500 light sources there, doesn't mean the engine can cope with all of them at once without a hitch in framerate.

That's why they're using deferred rendering. They calculate lighting in screen space, which is a lot more efficient and mostly independent of scene complexety.

The enemies and NPCs will use the same techniques, which brings up a good point -- the opposing forces aren't dumb in Killzone 2.

Friends provide cover fire for friends.
If a Helghastians is pressed up against a concrete pillar or wooden crate and you've punched enough holes in the obstacle to make it useless, don't expect the bad guy to sit there and take it. These guys will react and move in tactical, group dynamics.

Don't think you can ignore your team, either. As a member of the Legion, you'll need help thinning out the hordes of bad guys on the prowl. When your commander -- Rico from the first Killzone -- goes down, you'll have a limited window of time to get over to him and use you medical pistol to pop a shot of health into the wounded soldier.

Good stuff. Don't forget the gameplay.

Even more info about the gameplay.

Gamespot Killzone 2 hands-on.

Sounds sweet!

Seems like they're using a cover system as well. It adds so much to a typical fps IMO. Something like bioshock where the enemies are freaks, it doesn't matter much because they're running after you and/or unpredictable. But when faced with more traditional, intelligent enemies, it makes all the difference.

In the first Gears they leaned on cover so much so that if you didn't use it, you'd die rather quickly. KZ2 sounds like they're trying to give players more freedom in that regard and letting them choose to run n gun or take cover. Makes me curious how Gears2 will approach their design.

Good to see the gameplay is already at a playable level and seemingly well polished. I'm looking forward to this one!

the levels are huge, I noticed a little screen tearing in the rocket launcher clip but it's early, the textures are blurry, he's probably playing on the easiest difficulty, the blood spray and spatter on the walls is AWESOME, it has a cover system that looks like rainbow 6: vegas but it's in first-person, it's not like stranglehold where the whole pillar is destroyed by one clip (small parts fall off with every shot), in the intro video he detaches the camera and goes waaaaaaaay out and there's no pop-up at all, he says the level is 2 GB.

Back