FFXIII screens, trailers, etc*

I think we are going to be impressed with the final product no matter what some people say ;)

I agree. I'm really not that impressed with FFXIII, I really can't see the hype surrounding its visuals.

Flat, low res textures. Lighting is decent but nothing spectacular.

It's got a nice colour palette going on though. Art direction is nice.

I think Mass Effect, although it's going for a different style, looks WAY better technically from what I've seen of both games.

Crazy talk! This game looks like CG, it's amazing. I'll be blown away if they pull off visuals like that in the final game.

I'll admit that the heroine conjurs thoughts of "low-res" and "flat," however. But that, I would assume, is more art direction than anything else. She carries a lot of polys and good design, but as with anything anime-styled, you're not looking for tremendously complex outfits, skin tones, etc. (Unless you're making a CLAMP game. ;) ) The environment comes off like that as well, but that's only because we're really just seeing the "I'm a crisp and clean sci-fi base!" level right now, which... well... would not have an overabundance of noticable HQ textures and varied shades.

But holy crap, not if you're looking at some of those characters. And if that jungle scene ends up being playable as is... :oops:

...but that's only because we're really just seeing the "I'm a crisp and clean sci-fi base!" level right now, which... well... would not have an overabundance of noticable HQ textures and varied shades.
That's an important point. I'm reminded of Resistance. All we saw for a long time were WWII-type environments, giving the impression of WWII shooter with aliens. But there's lots of bizarro levels too, which totally muck up that first impression. Just because one area is clean and bland, doesn't mean the whole game is. And FF is known for mixing up lots of environments. eg. Consider the desert in FFX - screenshots of that are hardly indicative of the limits of the graphics engine!

Well, at least in Resistance we could still see close-up complex textures, as you got a lot of brick walls, fractured stone, etc. FFXIII is much worse than that on that sci-fi level, as it's supposed to be a tremendously "crisp" and "slick" environment, and you're also positioned far away from any walls and structures, so you're not seeing any of what IS there regardless. You're just getting characters and a bit of floor in the middle of some fast action sequences.

Why people want every game to have the same visual features as any other good looking game to look good for them I still wonder. This one looks impresssive

Obviously I have and I still don't see what makes the graphics "outstanding", and I'm a Sony-whore.
We dont know about that. Peronally I claim I am Queen Elizabeth

Guys isn't this the same video clip/game that lots of people said wasn't real-time?

Ironically yes. And people criticized how much bullshot it probably was and even pointed out at the "Blizzrad" word in the menu to back up the claim.

After certain scenes wer proven 100% realtime suddenly it doesnt look good?

Ironically yes. And people criticized how much bullshot it probably was and even pointed out at the "Blizzrad" word in the menu to back up the claim.

After certain scenes wer proven 100% realtime suddenly it doesnt look good?

Or maybe, now that people got over the initial WOW ITS TEH CEEGEE-HAY shock, after spending a few minutes actually looking at the original res pictures (the first batch were downsized and made the whole thing look better), the "flaws and shortcomings" started to become more evident...

I think the whole discussion is useless by now, you guys have spent the last 2 pages of MY thread with posts that go pretty much like this:
-it's CGI!!
-no it's not!!
-well look at the low res textures!
-WTF
-yes!
-no!
-troll!

Really, can we talk about the game? Oh, to stay a wee bit on topic, i got back into FF12 and kinda loving it. Very well done i have to admit, those character models and faces just surprise me all the time. If that is the quality of a PS2 FF in its 6th year, i can't imagine what FF15 will be like on PS3...

But the problem is that some instead of looking at the overal game they are trying to find "shortcomings" in the smallest detail and pushing for such a discussion.

There is no perfect game visually anyways even if that game is close to CGI looking. Aliasing issues and a blurred texture here or there always exist. But this is a very close approximation of the expected quality we want to get from this generation.

Even if it doesnt look CGI'sh the quality of the visuals are apparent. The main difference between the first and the last screenshots are the crazy amounts of AA. Everything else is still intact.

Even if we try to talk about the possibilities and great things to expect from this title as you suggest some people wont hesitate to talk about the smallest lack of detail instead. Since the only thing ve ve got are the beautiful visuals, we can talk mostly about these, so its anavoidable that if someone makes a huge issue of something insignificant because he has the need to the discussion will follow that course.

Its like trying effortlessly to tell that every game must have the same visual qualifications to look impressive, like super bumbmapping and super high res textures on every surface. Viva Pinata lacks these but has proven with its own techniques and style how interesting, creative and beautiful a game can get without the need to mimmick every good looking game out there.

This is the same with FF13 and those having the need to find insignificant shortcomings should accept this splendour instead of comparing it with other games and downplaying it unfairly just because it doesnt follow the visual trend of titles like Mass Effect and God knows what else, and leave the others who reckognise the work Square Enix put discuss about more important things

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like to remind you guys that FFXIII ia a RPG game and with that kind of visual for a RPG game you would not complaint or compare it to the other more shorter games.

Quicktime

Windows Media

Just came out on GT, a new japanese tv spot for FFXIII. Some "footage" that I havent seen before, though quite disappointing since the commercial doesnt last very long :cry:

Not to mention the "play beyond voice" at the end is somewhat annoying :???:

Damn.. almost 2 seconds of FF13 :-/ But it looks nice. Especialy 2007 date on the beggining... :D

Can anyone translate this commercial? It reminded me of movie "Close encounters of 3rd kind" :) With all those sounds, and lights on building.

Back