FFXIII screens, trailers, etc*

Yeah, when I had a break at TGS I just so happened to be walking by the Square-Enix theatre when they were letting people in, no line or anything. Well, most people were already inside so I had to sit next to the deafening speakers.

Anyway, they made everyone sit through a bunch of BS cell-phone games and more FFVII spinoffs, but HOLY SH*T is FFXIII amazing. Seriously screw the quality of this game, if those visuals are indeed real it's just absolutely amazing.:p

I'm pretty much out of the RPG genre now, but this is a must buy.

This is the best looking RPG IMO, however it might be just my biased opinion because I'm a huge fan of Final Fantasy serie. I like the character designs alot, something I didn't like in Lost odyssey (Which is shaping up to be awesome RPG for sure, so don't take it like I'm going to make this in to FF vs LO). :)

If this is how it looks in final product, I'm sold. (duh I would be sold even if it had snes graphics) :D

The models and the art is definitely nice, but i think the lighting could be much better. It still has that FFX look to it if you know what i mean, which i guess could be an artistic choice to look anime-ish, which it certainly does. Lots of whites, lots of bright colours, low contrast and not much darkness...

Or maybe it's just me, i think i'm in a dark phase... It will pass...

Honestly, I think this could be the best looking game, period. :LOL:
I dunno. From those 2 pics, they don't show much. Level 5's WKS had some really nice scenery and atmosphere, environmental shadowing, and stuff. That was more attractive to me. And BD may be more impressive, depending on if I can determine the things I thought might be CG were actually realtime :???: .

These two pics are far too limited to win any best-looking-game award even if artistically they're your thing. I'd need to see some environments!

That screen with her face, if that's real time then it's definitely the best looking game I have ever seen without a shadow of a doubt. The skin shading, just, wow. First game that has managed to not give that plastic look at all, their artists must be very talented.

Surely you have seen the trailer Shifty Geezer? :)
Theres definately more shown than those images reveal (the real time parts anyways).

Surely you have seen the trailer Shifty Geezer? :)
Of course :)
Theres definately more shown than those images reveal (the real time parts anyways).
I guess you can try to fill in the blanks, but I don't feel there's much to go on. Take the scenery that's on show here. It's extra dull and uninteresting. The close-up face is awesome...but...FF has shown a willingness to blow large amounts of resources onto main characters, sacrificing the rest of what's being rendered.

Going by the trailer and the old forest scene etc., it's a great looking title. I just don't think these new pics convey much.

It's all fair game Shifty Geezer, you have a point. :)
I'll just say we both have our opinions on the game.

That screen with her face, if that's real time then it's definitely the best looking game I have ever seen without a shadow of a doubt. The skin shading, just, wow. First game that has managed to not give that plastic look at all, their artists must be very talented.

This one?
http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/826/826843/img_3935037.html

Well it's definitely not the CGI model (that's even better), but it defintely looks very good, bit too good for realtime, but it has jaggies and noticeable realtime "shortcomings" (like poligonal edges) so it should be realtime, but not in-game. I'm sure it's the highest LOD possible for the realtime model, probably for cutscenes. Gorgeous huh...
The shot itself looks like a cutscene anyway, not too playable with that camera angle :)

I dunno. From those 2 pics, they don't show much. Level 5's WKS had some really nice scenery and atmosphere, environmental shadowing, and stuff. That was more attractive to me. And BD may be more impressive, depending on if I can determine the things I thought might be CG were actually realtime :???: .

These two pics are far too limited to win any best-looking-game award even if artistically they're your thing. I'd need to see some environments!
Well there WAS that jungle level... ;)

The "futuristic tunnel" shots so far are indeed lacking environmental flair (which I commented on when the first shots were coming out at E3), but the character and enemy models tend to make you sit back, take notice, and attempt to stop the drool from messing up your keyboard. Hehe...

There's plenty to be encouraged about visually right now, though indeed many of us are hopped up and disappointed that we're not being shown more, more, MORE!!! :p But whatever... I'm just hoping they don't toss a FF8 combat system on top of the game, as THERE was an extremely pretty game messed up by actually PLAYING it. Heh...

Pics aren't new. The first one in the original post came out with the first batch of screens at E3 (though I think that one is slightly higher resolution). The second one (with others from the "extended" trailer) has been out in various magazines for months.

The up-close-in-her-face pic is also completely realtime, but obviously a cutscene.

As for doubting the integrity of the engine with a complex environment, check out the E3 trailer as she strolls along in a forest... WOW.

This one?
http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/826/826843/img_3935037.html

Well it's definitely not the CGI model (that's even better), but it defintely looks very good, bit too good for realtime, but it has jaggies and noticeable realtime "shortcomings" (like poligonal edges) so it should be realtime, but not in-game. I'm sure it's the highest LOD possible for the realtime model, probably for cutscenes. Gorgeous huh...
The shot itself looks like a cutscene anyway, not too playable with that camera angle :)

Yeah that's the one. I am amazed that sort of thing could be real time. The skin shading does it for me totally. I agree with you, it can't possibly be gameplay, but damn it doesn't look half good.

Yeah that's the one. I am amazed that sort of thing could be real time. The skin shading does it for me totally. I agree with you, it can't possibly be gameplay, but damn it doesn't look half good.

It does look amazing. But whether it's realtime or not, the skin shading still makes her look a liiittle bit like a doll. We're still not "quite there" if you know what i mean: I wouldn't mistake that for real skin - but maybe it's all psychological, i mean i know that she's not real so my brain is probably telling me that i could never mistake skin like that for real.
Brains are funny things.

Back