E3 Predictions 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 86764
  • Start date
IIllumiroom is an interesting prediction, it would fit with MS peculiar focus on not touching anything. They said you are the controller and people don't like 3D glasses, etc... So Kinect2+Illumiroom can be their solution to compete with DS4+VR without changing their message. It's also easier to stage for demos. But an integrated projector makes little sense, and a new kinect is a bit stupid considering most XB1 gamers already have a kinect. They would just sell a low cost add-on projector, not a new Kinect.

I still think MS will present a VR headset, as they would get third parties ports for free. Otherwise they become the odd man out, just like Wiimote, Move, and Kinect.

I still think MS will present a VR headset, as they would get third parties ports for free.

I really hope they don't waste any resource on a proprietary unit.

A licensing deal with Oculus and a couple token implementations in games is as much investment in VR as I'd want from MS.

There's no point wasting resource on a dead end technology, when actual real playable games could be produced instead.

It happened before with 3D and will happen in exactly the same way with VR, except the fallout will be worse:

The burden of 3D's failure fell on TV manufacturers. It wasn't too bad though, as 3D kind of came for free on TV's so 3D's death didn't leave a lot of useless scrap plastic hanging around.

The fallout of the failure of VR's current resurgence will hit harder as a considerable investment in worthless plastic add-ons will have to be made by any platform holder releasing a VR unit.

Oculus should be safe enough. Commercial use and PC enthusiast support should keep them afloat, but VR on consoles is just never going to fly IMO.

Oculus is the only project that is 2 billion in the red, and counting. Why would it be the one that is safe?
They do have grand plans and are not focused on profit for now, but they will have to be profitable just like all the others. The only way they can become profitable is if VR becomes a huge thing in the long term. The smaller players don't have that requirement and can go slowly with a little profit for a little investment.

Okay you think VR is a dead end technology. That's quite a strong statement. Do you think ideally MS should just skip it altogether instead?

They do, what they may lack is technology that doesn't infringe on others patents.
I was thinking about that, MS have done a lot of development for quite a while on AR glasses and other wild projects, it would be crazy if they didn't have a side project for VR in that group.

When Sony announced Move, everyone saw immediately this was the missing link for VR, a precise low latency 1:1 mapping that is very low-cost to implement. Indeed Sony was also working on VR from that point. MS can't possibly not have seen this coming. The Oculus kickstarter was much later and they have no patent problems. Valve have been working on VR for many years.

I was thinking about that, MS have done a lot of development for quite a while on AR glasses and other wild projects, it would be crazy if they didn't have a side project for VR in that group.
They have some patents, here is one VR design for a 'gaming helmet':

339200-microsoft-gaming-helmet.jpg

Here is another:

79.jpg

An "illumiroom" projector kinect version would be the only way MS could fuck with people even more than they already have; considering most don't have the free space for a kinect in the first place, now we need an entire room tailored around it? The disconnect from reality would be staggering if this turn out to be true! :p

PR has to describe them as such. No-one's going to announce that their E3 is "going to be pretty mediocre and uninspired this year".

"Yeah, we're turning up. Gonna show some games. Not a great lot of new stuff, and to be honest a lot of the future stuff we're going to show isn't going to be available for a couple of years yet. We've our new peripheral no-one's particularly interested in that'll be on the show floor being quietly overlooked. New hardware announcements are nil. Oh, we've got a couple of new media services who've made apps for our console that they'll announce as if it's a big thing - like mobile and PC hasn't had them for years. Sales figures? We'll keep figures to a minimum and just use generalised remarks about great sales and how well out platform is doing. Maybe our PR guys will come up with some highly positive generational comparisons? For the press conference, we're undecided as to whether to go 'scary hyperactive enthusiasm' and freak everyone out, or 'dull suits' and bore everyone witless. Both are well established classics. I guess the real, megaton excitement, keep a look out for all the games and content you were hoping and expecting to hear about not show as we silently move them back another year!"

B3D Jaded Cynic of the Year front-runner?
You have to believe. Reading Dsoup's previous post you can see it might be true, for a simple reason. I mean.. that's why competition is good. Because MS did really bad with the Xbox One and PS4 is owning the videogames space, and now they are starting to care about their costumers, and make the effort.

You have to believe. Reading Dsoup's previous post you can see it might be true, for a simple reason. I mean.. that's why competition is good. Because MS did really bad with the Xbox One and PS4 is owning the videogames space, and now they are starting to care about their costumers, and make the effort.
If you're referring about my post in the Xbox thread about E3 being a cakewalk for Microsoft, that is of course based on what we know through announcements or leaks. I think for the average gamer, Microsoft have a stronger AA/AAA lineup but have have to remember that Sony do have a lot of studios with no pieces on the board so there may be some surprises in two weeks time on Sony's side.

That said, while I'm cooling forward to Halo 5 and Uncharted 4, I'm perhaps more interested in WiLD and No Man's Sky because they appeal to my inner explorer survivalist and it's nice to have new experiences as well as tried and tested first/third person shooters.

and a new kinect is a bit stupid considering most XB1 gamers already have a kinect

In the concepts illumiroom uses two kinect, one front classic, one tied to the projector so that can deform the image to look good on uneven surfaces

Back