Delay in Blu-Ray effect PS3?

TheChefO said:
The point is people aren't perfect and neither are companies. No matter how big they are, they are not immune to making mistakes.

Now you can commence your judgement of me because I have questioned the great Sony.

Well Sony did good with PS1, they learned from it and released PS2 which was even a better bang for Sony. I see no reason why this should not be continued with PS3.

Price is not a matter (PS2 was also almost as expensive at its launch, at least here in europe)

TheChefO said:
Now you can commence your judgement of me because I have questioned the great Sony.
No need for that, I'll just point out that you are arguing yourself in a circle around the word "confident."

Nemo80 said:
Price is not a matter (PS2 was also almost as expensive at its launch, at least here in europe)

Agreed - in Europe you guys are probably jumpin for joy with ps3! Not only is it priced comparably but it's launching the same time as everywhere else. This will be a first(second) and I can understand your optimism. In the states this thing is quite a bit more than we're used to and from what I've seen of Japan they look to be a bit more cautious as well.

kyleb said:
No need for that, I'll just point out that you are arguing yourself in a circle around the word "confident."

Well thank you sir for pointing that out. I'd like to point out that you've conveniently side-stepped my argument to your own confidence claims. ;)

Nemo80 said:
Well Sony did good with PS1, they learned from it and released PS2 which was even a better bang for Sony. I see no reason why this should not be continued with PS3.

I see few reasons.

-Price is 200 more than competition
-It still uses basically the same controller that I used to play on my PS1!! and which was already "broken" last gen
-they no longer have GTA as timed exclusive

Ofcourse it has it's plusses too, but certainly Sony doesn't look as strong as beginning of last gen, I still expect them to win, but I must say that I kind of hope that they would have to pay something for using that F***** thing as a controller once again.

Dr Evil said:
I see few reasons.

-It still uses basically the same controller that I used to play on my PS1!! and which was already "broken" last gen

I wouldn't take the consistency of the controller design as a negative (It definitely helps with BC). Only the exclusion of vibration.

Price I can see as a huge negative and will impact the uptake of PS3s early in its lifecycle.

Dr Evil said:
I see few reasons.

Ofcourse it has it's plusses too, but certainly Sony doesn't look as strong as beginning of last gen

It's interesting, because many of your points, or similar enough ones, were levelled against PS2 when it was starting out. It was more expensive than the competition, sans Xbox (though it didn't drop as quickly as Xbox did still, which I always find interesting to consider when people claim "PS3 will always be more expensive!" etc.), and in fact the gap in price was larger where it was more expensive. It had the same controller as PS1 (not sure how you figure it was "broken", however), in fact it was more similar to the PS1 controller than the PS3 is to PS2's or PS1's. And it had its share of lost franchises, perhaps more dramatic losses than the loss of GTA time exclusivity. I still remember the furor that erupted when Capcom announced that the entire Resident Evil franchise was going to be exclusive to Gamecube, amongst other games - and the suggestions re. PS2's future that were made in certain quarters as consequence. I still remember how so many, and so many analysts, saw an evenly split market last time around, and news like that did little to abate such predictions.

Now, that's not to say that all of your concerns are hot air, at all. We are in new waters here, we're in new waters with every new generation. But I just think it's interesting how every time, every cycle, people find something to 'doom-monger' about, for want of a better term, but then in hindsight things seem so different and people point out all the reasons why this or that was obviously going to happen or was a foregone conclusion. It certainly didn't seem that way back in 2000/2001.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
Now, that's not to say that all of your concerns are hot air, at all. We are in new waters here, we're in new waters with every new generation. But I just think it's interesting how every time people find something to 'doom-monger' about, for want of a better term, but then in hindsight things seem so different and people point out all the reasons why this or that was obviously going to happen or was a foregone conclusion. It certainly didn't seem that way back in 2000/2001.

Agreed - great post Titiano :)

There are of course quite a few things which are different from last gen and must be considered. But as you said nobody can really tell what is going to happen this gen, only educated guesses.

Yes I only mentioned some possible obstacles on Sony's march to victory, but like I said I still expect them to win.

Also Resident Evil is nothing compared to GTA, eventhough the 4th was an excellent game, MS gaining even ground on GTA is bigger than Cube gaining Resident Evil IMO.

By "broken" I meant that IMO and most people that play all consoles that I have talk to think that Dual Shock is way worse than either GC or Xbox1 controller and X360 controller is better than those two. The motion sensing thing adds nothing for me. I would go as far say that controller is useless in fps-games. The position and feel of the analog sticks are not optimal on that controller... I understand that these are not problems to everybody especially for those that only game on Sony, but for me and some of my friends that is a huge issue.

TheChefO said:
There are of course quite a few things which are different from last gen and must be considered. But as you said nobody can really tell what is going to happen this gen, only educated guesses.

If I could sum up what I'm trying to say in one post, it'd be that. Basically, we don't know jack about what's going to happen.

It's really easy for people to put forth scenarios about the future - because no one can say you're wrong - but it's then amazing to see how such talk and speculation can often be brushed under the carpet as the reality of the situation materialises.

And of course, like I said, this time is different. But then every time is. And so often people are at pains to point out how things are different this time, often neglecting how in general people said all those things before (with different points to back up their view, of course).

There's nothing wrong with speculating, of course, and you'll find me doing it too - a lot! - but having seen it all before 6 years ago and actually doing all that myself, it's hard to believe anyone knows how things are going to turn out. It's just really the usually early-cycle fun. If someone came back in time and told me in 2001 how things were now in 2006, I'd probably would have told them they were kidding themselves (believe it or not, I was very optimistic about GameCube's chances!).

Dr Evil said:
Also Resident Evil is nothing compared to GTA, eventhough the 4th was an excellent game, MS gaining even ground on GTA is bigger than Cube gaining Resident Evil IMO.

I disagree. That was much bigger news (well, maybe not MUCH, but still bigger IMO), and made a much bigger splash at the time. Playstation didn't just lose timed exclusivity for it, as it was announced at the time they had lost it completely. It was a quintessentially "Playstation" franchise, and it had contributed significantly in defining the system's image and its success - it was one of the standard-bearers for the new, older-orientated approach that Playstation introduced. With GTA, it was already much more multiplatform than RE ever was, and the news was somehow not nearly as shocking. It's easy to dismiss the significance of that now given what little impact the whole deal seems to have had overall, but at the time when we all didn't know what was going to happen, and two big Sony competitors were entering the fray, it all seemed a lot lot more significant (and menancing for Sony..not least also because of how bloody good the game looked on Gamecube compared to any PS2 games at the time!).

edit - Err, anyway..back on topic, Samsung is reconfirming today that their Blu-ray player is on track for June 25.

"We have thousands of units that are in transit to retail today; they have already shipped from our warehouse, and will be received over the course of the next week," elaborates Sanduski. "You can expect significant retailer advertising announcing that Blu-ray has arrived."

Titanio said:
it was one of the standard-bearers for the new, older-orientated approach that Playstation introduced.

Interesting thought about targeting/marketing of the systems. What do you all feel are the targets/markets of the next gen systems?

Great news on the bluray release date confirmation.

TheChefO said:
Well thank you sir for pointing that out. I'd like to point out that you've conveniently side-stepped my argument to your own confidence claims. ;)
My confidince claim was simply in response to your speculation:

TheChefO said:
Look, the fact that there is an argument at all WRT whether or not one should purchase a PS3 at all should tell you something is wrong with their plan. The fact that there are so many ps2 owners out there, myself included, that would have happily bought into ps3 without blinking an eye as long as they followed their own plan for success tells me they could have used the advice "stick to the script" and avoided a whole lot of hassle. As others have said though, there is much to be gained via BR royalties so I understand where they are coming from. I just don't think they understand/care where I/we are coming from.
Again, they don't care about you. The are confident they will do fine without you.

kyleb said:
The are confident they will do fine without you.

And with that, I agree my one "vote" doesn't make all that much of a difference. You see the problem though with their train of thought though Kyle is that, there are more people that are thinking the same thing I am {gasp}.

Good luck to them.

TheChefO said:
And with that, I agree my one "vote" doesn't make all that much of a difference. You see the problem though with their train of thought though Kyle is that, there are more people that are thinking the same thing I am {gasp}.

Good luck to them.

You're much better off spending your time reading old forum topics from around when the Playstation 2 arrived on the scene than worrying about the PS3 at this point in time.

Though even better would be if you'd just enjoy your 360 games and leave the speculating till launch day has arrived. *goes back to watching Final Fantasy VII and playing Daxter* ;)

Titanio said:

Inaddition, Sony is reconfirming 7 blueray titles for the 20th...

Sony to deliver Blu-ray titles June 20
By Reuters

Published: June 13, 2006, 2:36 PM PDT

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment said Tuesday that it will deliver its first seven titles in the high-definition Blu-ray format to retail stores on June 20. Sony Pictures, a unit of Sony, said the title rollout will coincide with the first commercially available Blu-ray DVD player from Samsung Electronics and a Blu-ray-compatible PC from Sony.

TheChefO said:
That isn't a problem, you aren't on to something new here. They spent a lot of time and money researching how much people like you matter to them long before abandoning that portion of the market. Tough break kid, but they are confident that they will be just fine without people like you.

kyleb said:
They spent a lot of time and money researching how much people like you matter to them long before abandoning that portion of the market. Tough break kid, but they are confident that they will be just fine without people like you.

But woe is microsoft if they even think about doing the same thing with backwards compatibility or a not having standard hard drive..

Kutaragi mentioned his intention to support HDMI 1.3 at CES this year, just for the historical record. So this is certainly nice, but it was expected as well.

Back