Delay in Blu-Ray effect PS3?

scooby - eDoshin was making no claim about the "embrace" HD movies will or won't see, he was just talking about himself. If you're planning to get a HD movie player by the end of the year, be that a PS3 or whatever, it certainly isn't incredible that you might pare back on your DVD purchases. I know I have.

scooby_dooby said:
So you're not going to buy anything at all? Or will you just gamble on BR winning the format war?
Do what? I've stopped buying DVDs in general, but I'll buy HD optical disk content when stuff comes out that I want to own. I'm not planing to gamble on anyone in this though, so I have no clue what you are on about there.

scooby_dooby said:
So you're not going to buy anything at all? Or will you just gamble on BR winning the format war?

Why wouldn't you gamble on that? It may not win (stranger things have happened), but it certainly isn't going to disappear any time soon. For it to disappear and become useless you'd have to have Sony dropping support for it in PS3 or ditching PS3 a la dreamcast and then all the players from the major CE companies disappearing too. For the next 6-7 years you're gauranteed to be able to buy a BR player -- it's sort of silly to be so afraid of buying movies in a format with that kind of assurance. I mean, hell... even things like Laser disc lasted a dozen years or more and that "failed" by almost all standards, and it didn't even have near the industry support behind it -- what's with the irrational fear?

I've seen people with similar attitudes, but I can't quite understand it... it's like some people assume that, overnight, BR (or HD-DVD) will just disappear off the shelves and players won't be sold anymore. (maybe you're just playing devil's advocate, but it is a behavior I've seen in a few times)

kyleb said:
Do what? I've stopped buying DVDs in general, but I'll buy HD optical disk content when stuff comes out that I want to own. I'm not planing to gamble on anyone in this though, so I have no clue what you are on about there.

Well by buying the media of either one of the formats you are essentially gambling on that platform, if it fails you're stuck with a betamax. Not only does the media you purchased require outdated hardware to play, but your initial investment for the hardware is somewhat wasted as well.

Not that it is a big deal if you have the money, but that's the choice consumers face now, risk owning an obselete format or wait until the dust has settled. Obviously, if you're buying a PS3 this is much less of a gamble than if you buy a $800 standalone, but I still would not want to build up a 50BR movie collection, and find out 2 years later that HD-DVD is the standard.

Bobbler - I see what you're saying, and alot will depend on the relative success of the formats, but eventually, just like betamax, the titles will become harder to find and rent and you'll be forced to buy a new player. PS3 might sustain BR sales for longer, but that depends alot on the relative success of HD-DVD. If HD-DVD really tekaes off, even PS3 owners will want to buy hd-dvd's so they can play them on the other players in their house and so they won't have to rebuy them in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously man, there is no reason to think that deep into this. If you have some old Beta max movies you can just rip them to DVD; the same will be true when ever these new formats dies, and they both will die eventually. If what a platform offers isn't worth your money, there is no reason to ponder this risk of what it may or may not offer in the future, just don't buy it. Neither are going to disappear in anywhere close to 2 years anyway, but they will be a whole lot cheaper to buy into at that point and there will be a whole lot more content available on both.

Personally, I'm hopping to see a HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo drive for my HTPC before too long and that will likely be my HD movie player for the foreseeable future. I might wind up getting a PS3 before that, or I might get the HD-DVD attachment for my 360 if content I want is there and the price and quality meet my standards, but I see no reason to gamble on anything here.

Sis said:
And back to my original point: this "need" is mostly marketing driven. If consumers go out and replace their old TV with a new HDTV and then love what they see, marketing is in the position to convince them that what they see is not good enough. This is a much tougher sell than "I see you're buying a new TV, why not go with this awesome widescreen television. For the size, the price is the same, and you won't get those stupid black bars on movies--it'll be like sitting in a theater!"

It doesn't help when normal DVDs actually look pretty damn good on them.

I don´t really believe that it´s the salesman in the whatever store that really makes a difference. Worth of mouth will do more work. The first time someone visist a friend with HiDef tv and finds out just how good his TV at home could look with the correct material he will have the "need". And depending on the size of the TV, DVD really doesn´t look that good compared to HD. HiDef makes DVD look soft blurred, suddenly it´s seem so detailed like it used to. Just don´t make the A-B comparison if you can´t afford it :)

I´m not saying this is gonna go as fast as DVD, but i seriously think many people are totally wrong about how fast HD movies will become popular.

Titanio said:
scooby - eDoshin was making no claim about the "embrace" HD movies will or won't see, he was just talking about himself. If you're planning to get a HD movie player by the end of the year, be that a PS3 or whatever, it certainly isn't incredible that you might pare back on your DVD purchases. I know I have.

Well I understood it as he was speaking for the mass market, in that the mass market has absolutely no reason to not buy HD-DVD or Bluray. I'm just trying to illustrate some reasons why consumers may be somewhat tentative about jumping onboard.

"It would not make an iota of sense for a consumer who has plunked down a big chunk of money on an HD tv to stay with DVD when the HD version is available"

That's what I don't agree with, there is sense there for some people. There is some sense in waiting to see what the HD standard will be before jumping on board. If we weren't emroiled in a format war I would agree with his outlook.

Personally, I think I'll probably just go with the HD-DVD add-on for 360(if it's $200 or less) and mostly rent movies for a while, then probably buy a PS3 a year or two down the road and start building my BR collection when it eventually wins.

Well to answer the question posted with this thread....about the delay in SamSung blu-ray player release.....Here we go...

Samsung ships Blu-ray disc player in U.S.
Sean Shim
(06/15/2006 10:55 AM EDT)
URL: http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189401452

SEOUL, South Korea — Samsung Electronics said it has shipped the industry's first Blue-ray optical disk player to U.S. retailers for sale starting June 25.

The player, dubbed BD-P1000, has been delayed by Samsung, which cited incomplete testing. It is expected to attract consumers who want to view high-definition disks on their existing HDTVs.

Samsung backs the Blu-ray Disc spec, along with Sony, Matsushita, Philips and Dell on the hardware side. Seven of the eight major movie studios, including Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and LionsGate Pictures support Blu-ray. An influx of Blu-ray content is hitting the market with the launch of the player, according to Samsung.

The BD-P1000 plays Blu-ray software titles via a native 1,080p HDMI output for films digitally mastered in 1,920 x 1,080 pixels. It also upconverts conventional DVDs to 1,080p through the HDMI digital interface, so picture quality for traditional DVDs is more detailed when played by the disk player.

Besides all the existing DVD formats, the BD-P1000 plays both standard DVDs and CDs. Samsung has included a 10-in-2 multimemory card interface that supports all the major formats including Compact Flash, Secure Digital, XD Picture Card and Memory Stick.

Connectivity includes HDMI, Component, S-video and composite outputs. Supported audio formats include: Dolby Digital & Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, MP3 and 192-KHz LPCM.

Samsung will sell the BD-P1000 for $999.99, or twice the price of devices that play HD-DVD disks.

Separately, Sony Pictures said Thursday (June 15) it will release the first batch of sever Blu-ray Disc movie titles on June 20. The studio said the release was timed to coincide with the availability of Samsung's player and Sony's Blu-ray Disc-compatible Vaio PC.

-tkf- said:
I´m not saying this is gonna go as fast as DVD, but i seriously think many people are totally wrong about how fast HD movies will become popular.

Agreed - and I would also speculate that one of the primary reasons hd movies (Bluray specificly) are launching at such low prices is that movie studios are trying to curb the piracy/sales losses that they are experiencing with dvd. So for them to perhaps not be as profitable with bluray/hd-dvd movies as dvd's would eventually pay-off if they can kill dvd (and its piracy) sooner rather than later and ensure future profits via a mostly secured platform (drm) and expensive media to curb future piracy.

Mythos said:
Well to answer the question posted with this thread....about the delay in SamSung blu-ray player release.....Here we go...

Samsung ships Blu-ray disc player in U.S.
Sean Shim
(06/15/2006 10:55 AM EDT)
URL: http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189401452

SEOUL, South Korea — Samsung Electronics said it has shipped the industry's first Blue-ray optical disk player to U.S. retailers for sale starting June 25.

The player, dubbed BD-P1000, has been delayed by Samsung, which cited incomplete testing. It is expected to attract consumers who want to view high-definition disks on their existing HDTVs.

Samsung backs the Blu-ray Disc spec, along with Sony, Matsushita, Philips and Dell on the hardware side. Seven of the eight major movie studios, including Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and LionsGate Pictures support Blu-ray. An influx of Blu-ray content is hitting the market with the launch of the player, according to Samsung.

The BD-P1000 plays Blu-ray software titles via a native 1,080p HDMI output for films digitally mastered in 1,920 x 1,080 pixels. It also upconverts conventional DVDs to 1,080p through the HDMI digital interface, so picture quality for traditional DVDs is more detailed when played by the disk player.

Besides all the existing DVD formats, the BD-P1000 plays both standard DVDs and CDs. Samsung has included a 10-in-2 multimemory card interface that supports all the major formats including Compact Flash, Secure Digital, XD Picture Card and Memory Stick.

Connectivity includes HDMI, Component, S-video and composite outputs. Supported audio formats include: Dolby Digital & Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, MP3 and 192-KHz LPCM.

Samsung will sell the BD-P1000 for $999.99, or twice the price of devices that play HD-DVD disks.

Separately, Sony Pictures said Thursday (June 15) it will release the first batch of sever Blu-ray Disc movie titles on June 20. The studio said the release was timed to coincide with the availability of Samsung's player and Sony's Blu-ray Disc-compatible Vaio PC.

is that actually a standalone player or is it like the toshiba hd-dvd player that is really a pc with a hd-dvd drive?

In addition, there is reporting that early SamSung players are out in the wild and some dude from Arkansas has purchased one of them (BD-P1000).

Samsung's BD-P1000 Blu-ray box released early

Posted Jun 15th 2006 3:32AM by Ryan Block
Filed under: HDTV, Home Entertainment

After all those oh so familiar Blu-ray delays, we're glad to report that it looks like a little something came a week early for at least one lucky HD buff in Arkansas. Dude cruised over to Best Buy and was able to pick up one of two Samsung BD-P1000s just sitting on the shelf. Nope, it's not the first time -- nor will it be the last -- that a retail release date was "inadvertently" broken by a store, but it's not really gonna do dude a whole lot of good since the movies aren't out yet. Seriously though, do Blu-ray and HD DVD really have to go tit-for-tat on everything -- including unintentional early release? Get a room, you two.

source: engadget.com

Back