Delay in Blu-Ray effect PS3?

zed said:
youre comparing a xb360 + 20gig vs ps3 + 60gb
if u compare the 2 20gb models then the difference is $100

Or if you compare premium PS3 to core X360 the difference is 300. The point is that you can go to a store and get a next-gen console to play games at it if you choose X360 you can save 200 compared to the competition, the real difference is 200, even if Core offers less than the competition, it still plays the games.

I don't know if this is considered on topic or not, but I would just like to know how accurate this is? Thanks.

Since PlayStation 3 is going to be taking advantage of the new HDMI spec, could this be a problem with current HDMI?

What of the excess though? 1.2 had its problems, but how many phectrons will 1.3 have seeping through? My output can't overwire the junctionX code so I'm pretty much stuffed unless I can relay the Code-Matrix proram back onto a second binary. This is horrible news.

This was a comment by a poster... does the new HDMI spec not work with older versions?

london-boy said:
Of course it does.

Thanks for the quick repsonse london-boy, but do you have any idea what that comment is about? I don't quite understand what he is trying to point out, since HDMI 1.3 is backward compatible with previous HDMI spec?

dodo3 said:
Thanks for the quick repsonse london-boy, but do you have any idea what that comment is about? I don't quite understand what he is trying to point out, since HDMI 1.3 is backward compatible with previous HDMI spec?

Beats me, but the important is that for us consumers, plug it in and it will work.

The notion that Sony would basically kill the HDMI format by releasing something that doesn't work with the sets that have HDMI today is just silly. HDMI has had a rough time as it is, cutting the userbase even more would be utter suicide and will never happen.

london-boy said:
Beats me, but the important is that for us consumers, plug it in and it will work.

The notion that Sony would basically kill the HDMI format by releasing something that doesn't work with the sets that have HDMI today is just silly. HDMI has had a rough time as it is, cutting the userbase even more would be utter suicide and will never happen.

You will have to be careful though with hdmi as there are a lot of issues on avs forums of people buying (highend) hdmi equipment and having it not work with other hdmi components (compatibility issues). Before taking it foregranted that one hdmi component will work with another, check out some feedback forums to make sure before you plop down the cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheChefO said:
And this from a playstation owner? Seriously when did memory cards all of a sudden become a problem?

It becomes a point of consideration when the addition of the 64MB memory card brings you within $60 of a premium pack, and a 20GB hard disk. Given the critical role the HDD plays in a lot of 360's more compelling functionality, that's a false economy that I think most consumers find difficult to ignore. And I think that's borne out in the stories of core packs being left on shelves in favour of premiums.

For most people here (in the US/Europe) I don't think the 360 core is a particularly credible option. I do think the PS3 core is, however. Heck, even I would perhaps prefer it if it's available where I am at launch. I think comparing the $400 360 and $500 PS3 is more than fair - the vast majority of consumers at the moment opt for the former (and not because cores aren't available), and the latter is a credible entry point for a PS3 purchase.

I see a 249 core as a distinct possibility by year's end though, making it a complete game console for less than $300. To me, that is a viable gaming platform, 90 million PS2 owners are proof of that.

Also, I think theres a 256MB memory card coming as well (better for XBLA games + saves) so even with that youre going to be only at about $310 or so.

Titanio said:
It becomes a point of consideration when the addition of the 64MB memory card brings you within $60 of a premium pack, and a 20GB hard disk. Given the critical role the HDD plays in a lot of 360's more compelling functionality, that's a false economy that I think most consumers find difficult to ignore. And I think that's borne out in the stories of core packs being left on shelves in favour of premiums.

For most people here (in the US/Europe) I don't think the 360 core is a particularly credible option. I do think the PS3 core is, however. Heck, even I would perhaps prefer it if it's available where I am at launch. I think comparing the $400 360 and $500 PS3 is more than fair - the vast majority of consumers at the moment opt for the former (and not because cores aren't available), and the latter is a credible entry point for a PS3 purchase.

Certainly the premium is a better value, but only if those features matter to you. If you've been happy with your ps2 for the past 5 years you'd be happy with a 360core + memcard.

The memory card price is another issue but that is fixed with a simple price reduction.

The functionality is the same as ps2 all the way down to the standard dvd out of the box that the parents love so much. :)

expletive said:
I see a 249 core as a distinct possibility by year's end though, making it a complete game console for less than $300. To me, that is a viable gaming platform, 90 million PS2 owners are proof of that.

Also, I think theres a 256MB memory card coming as well (better for XBLA games + saves) so even with that youre going to be only at about $310 or so.

Or here's another option, bundle the memcard with the core. This would cost ms next to nothing and alleviates any ad campaign to toute "free saves" or some such.

If people want a PS2, they'll buy a PS2.

It seems pretty clear to me that in order to avail of many of 360's more compelling aspects, you need a HDD. I think consumers so far agree. Maybe that's because we're looking at an earlier segment of the market, but I still think it'll still be tricky for people going forward to reconcile the gap in core+memcard and premium pricing and the gap in functionality offered.

Let me put it this way - if you are looking at a $400 360, as by far most people are right now,
a credible point of comparison to PS3 is the $500 box. So I don't think it's clear there's a straight $200 difference there (or $160 or whatever). It's dependent on the type of consumer buying, but for most now, a $100 difference would seem to apply.

TheChefO said:
Or here's another option, bundle the memcard with the core. This would cost ms next to nothing and alleviates any ad campaign to toute "free saves" or some such.

I think a better idea would be for MS to give 64MB of free space online for game saves with every XBL Gold account. But yeah the bundling idea is something they could look at this holiday season.

expletive said:
I think a better idea would be for MS to give 64MB of free space online for game saves with every XBL Gold account. But yeah the bundling idea is something they could look at this holiday season.

Great idea! would also allow for easy transition from one console to another, over a friends house etc. , and then come 720 the saves are seemlessly transfered.

BRILLIANT! :)

Titanio said:
Let me put it this way - if you are looking at a $400 360, as by far most people are right now,
a credible point of comparison to PS3 is the $500 box. So I don't think it's clear there's a straight $200 difference there (or $160 or whatever). It's dependent on the type of consumer buying, but for most now, a $100 difference would seem to apply.

Agreed 100%. The early buyers could care less for core as the early buyers want the best. But in this instance wouldn't they also want the $600 ps3? I mean it is 40gb more space and hdmi ;)

The issue I take with their sku approach is they are forcing high-end features to the minimum standard. By doing this, they ensure a higher pricepoint throughout the consoles lifespan which will limit their sales. As others have pointed out though, apparantly they don't care as they would rather have fewer but richer consumers buy ps3.

edit - also I agree those who are shopping for $400 360's will give the ps3 a look, but if they're looking for $400 360's come this fall instead of now they are doing so for a specific game or games, at which point their mind is made up. As for the highend buyers which have been fence sitting, you're correct they will have a $100 difference to compare feature for feature. but keep in mind the entire market isn't highend buyers and while they arebusy scratching their heads over $400/$500, there will be many many more happily snatching up sub $300 consoles this Christmas. :)

wrt ps2-360 functionality: your sidestepping the obvious. The functionality of the format is proven. It has been proven for 10+ years. People are ok with buying memory cards and for so many of you to be up in arms over them all of a sudden is rediculous. Where were the complaints before it was announced that ps3 had hdd standard? The market is ok with memcards. It's a standard. If you don't like it though at least you have the option to buy the hdd or the premium pack from the getgo.

Options are beautiful arent they? :)

TheChefO said:
And this from a playstation owner? Seriously when did memory cards all of a sudden become a problem?

At least Playstation owners know that a system isn't complete without a memorycard. So, when we buy a console, we factor in the cost of a memorycard.

A lot of PS2 owners who also bought an Xbox loved the fact that you had the harddrive built in and didn't have any of this memcard hassle. 20gb harddrive on Xbox vs 8mb memsticks that have to be purchased separately on PS2 makes the Xbox a pretty good deal.

Ironically, it's because Playstation owners are experienced with memory cards - combined with the success of Xbox Live - that the Core system gets so little love.

Titanio said:
If people want a PS2, they'll buy a PS2.

We're talking about next gen here though?

Titanio said:
It seems pretty clear to me that in order to avail of many of 360's more compelling aspects, you need a HDD. I think consumers so far agree. Maybe that's because we're looking at an earlier segment of the market, but I still think it'll still be tricky for people going forward to reconcile the gap in core+memcard and premium pricing and the gap in functionality offered.

The most compelling feature of the 360 is, and will be, the games and XBL. Without those 2 things no one here would have bought one. I know the Sony party line is that its important for these game consoles to do so much more than play games, but I dont agree that theres a market out there screaming for THAT type of device. IN the end it will come down to the games and you dont need a HD for those.

I agree with the diminished gap between the the core and premium but it still is equal to the price of a 'killer app', and that is valid.

Titanio said:

Its real easy to assume that the buying patterns we're seeing now are indiciative of what will be the case for the entire generation but i dont think we can do that. UMDs are great example of how early sales indications are not necesserily the best indicators of what will happen in 1, 2, or 3 years from now. With UMDs i think we saw a niche embrace the format but when production ramped up it was soon realized there wasnt much more than a niche market out there for it.

Again though, MS' strategy had always been to compete on price this gen so i would expect them to exercise that strength as often and as effectively as possible, which would mean a 249/349 this holiday or at the latest early 2007. Of course if they can sell every 360 they make from now until then, there would be no reason to drop the price.

Arwin said:
20gb harddrive on Xbox vs 8mb memsticks that have to be purchased separately on PS2 makes the Xbox a pretty good deal.

Yet we saw where it got them at retail. It's a minor issue really and to pretend it ruins the core to not have a hdd and have to {gasp} buy memory cards again is rediculous.

Back