Delay in Blu-Ray effect PS3?

AntShaw

Regular
It appears there is going to be another delay in the stand alone players making it to market:

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17627

Can we see this effecting the PS3 in anyway in the long run?

With HD-DVD barely on the market, I can't really see them getting much of a lead to make much of a difference?

Which begs the question, will the delays hurt the adoption of Blu-Ray into the market? If so what happens to the PS3 if HD-DVD becomes standard and Blu-Ray goes the way of Betamax??

If the hardware is continued late to the market, will this effect the software titles? Will we see Blu-Ray software released to the market prior to hardware being available??

Lot's of what if's.

The very last sentence of the article:
However, Samsung is still scheduled to launch its Blu-Ray player on June 25th, around the same time as the first movie titles will appear in shops.

I don't think so - the Sony/Pioneer delay isn't really new or unexpected - it's just that gaming sites just recently latched onto it.

If Samsung goes ahead with their Blu-ray player launch this June, then I say all remains to plan in the BD camp (I think Sony's delay is more strategic). If Samsung announces a delay beyond June, well then there's probably something to talk about.

I think the Blu-ray camp is probably comfortable with Samsung being their CE champion on the field to battle Toshiba for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even sure if this is a delay for the Sony player. Sony's website previously had availability for the BDP-S1 listed as "September 2006", I did see other sites quoting July but I never saw July as listed on Sony's actual site. August 15th is the first actual solid date I've seen for it listed on Sony's site, although after seeing this I wonder why this is making news now?

I believe Panasonic is putting out 50" 1080p plasmas around then as well, and those won't be cheap either.

Sony seems to not want any attenion taken off of ps3...that is, don't spend money on a standard blu-ray player when you could have a ps3.;)

However looks like Sony's blu-ray notebooks are scheduled to arrive next week...

Sony's Blu-ray notebook arriving next week
By Michael Kanellos
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Published: June 12, 2006, 12:54 PM PDT

Sony will release a notebook next week with a built-in Blu-ray Disc drive for playing movies and recording video in high definition.

The Sony Vaio AR Premium will cost $3,500. Along with a Blu-ray drive, the notebook will come with an Intel Core Duo processor, 1GB of memory, a 17-inch screen and a complimentary copy of the movie "House of Flying Daggers" in the Blu-ray format. Sony is taking preorders for the computer on its site.

Meanwhile, Vaio AR notebooks with a DVD burner instead of a Blu-ray player will start at $1,800.

The launch of the Blu-ray-enabled notebook will mark Sony's commercial push into the high-definition disc wars. By the end of June, the company will also release the RC300 desktop, a multimedia PC that will come with a Blu-ray drive.

Meanwhile, Sony will begin to take preorders for its BDP-S1 Blu-ray player on Aug. 15, said a Sony representative. The unit will officially come out when Sony releases a new line of Bravia flat-screen TVs and Grand Wega projection TVs around late August and early September.

wco81 said:
Sony has some big (expensive) 1080p displays coming to market in August-September.
u can get computer lcd monitor's with resolutions better than 1080p for under $1000
but chuck a cheap tv tuner in it + a couple of speakers + the price doubles ( someones making a large profit )
i have the feeling the price is gonna drop quickly on >20 inch lcd's within 6 months

zed said:
u can get computer lcd monitor's with resolutions better than 1080p for under $1000
Yeah, slightly more. But what about the size of the screen, man? :rolleyes: A 24" PC monitor doesn't REALLY compare to 50"-ish TVs, or do you seriously argue otherwise?

Guden Oden said:
Yeah, slightly more. But what about the size of the screen, man? :rolleyes: A 24" PC monitor doesn't REALLY compare to 50"-ish TVs, or do you seriously argue otherwise?

I think his point was you could get 1080p diplays for cheaper than those really huge monsters coming this fall.

And personally, not that may taste reflects the market, I would much prefer a $1k 24" high quality 1080p LCD than a huge monster. I game at my desk and don't have a need/desire for a TV. Of course most general consumers do have a use for a TV, and 50" works better in the living room than 24".

wco81 said:
Sony has some big (expensive) 1080p displays coming to market in August-September.

They're already available. The X-series is already in some houses here in the UK/Europe so i'm sure you also have them in the US. They accept 1080p through HDMI and are generally pretty awesome to say the least.

The article is about Sony not Pioneer.

Also I was reading that 1080P has all these problems like, the current units only accept it in 24 FPS and such, rather than 60 FPS. I dont understand all that.

Doesn't seem that dang hard for the hardware maunfactorers to sort all this out in a simple manner.

sonyps35 said:
Also I was reading that 1080P has all these problems like, the current units only accept it in 24 FPS and such, rather than 60 FPS. I dont understand all that.

That's not a problem for movies, they are 24FPS usually.

sonyps35 said:
Doesn't seem that dang hard for the hardware maunfactorers to sort all this out in a simple manner.

Actually, just yesterday the finalisation of HDMI 1.3 was announced. It will allow 1080p at 60fps with 12-bit per component colour, or 1080p at 90fps with the regular 8 bit per component. Hopefully there'll be displays out this year that support it..PS3 will.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1975618,00.asp

AntShaw said:
Which begs the question, will the delays hurt the adoption of Blu-Ray into the market? If so what happens to the PS3 if HD-DVD becomes standard and Blu-Ray goes the way of Betamax??

Less than 15% of the US and less than 10% of Europe have HDTV's. To the rest Bluray makes no difference whatsoever as Bluray movies don't work on SDTV's.

So, Bluray's failure would make very little difference in PS3 sales as the vast majority of people aren't effected by the inclusion of Bluray in the first place. Of course some people here like to think it will be the Bluray that pushes the system, but the truth is the HDTV market is a tiny fraction of the overall market, and tiny fractions rarely have big influences.

The real question is what will happen to the PS3 when it tries to push a movie format that the market simply isn't ready to adopt yet, and doing so means the PS3 will be priced $200+ higher than it's competition.

Powderkeg said:
Less than 15% of the US and less than 10% of Europe have HDTV's. To the rest Bluray makes no difference whatsoever as Bluray movies don't work on SDTV's.

Pardon?? Of course they work, you just won't see the additional resolution, which defies the point, but it still definitely works.

So, Bluray's failure would make very little difference in PS3 sales as the vast majority of people aren't effected by the inclusion of Bluray in the first place. Of course some people here like to think it will be the Bluray that pushes the system, but the truth is the HDTV market is a tiny fraction of the overall market, and tiny fractions rarely have big influences.

It's all about markets pushing each other. HD gaming pushing the HDTV market, which pushes the HD movie market. They just push each other. Bit like an orgy. That's the theory Sony and all other companies involved in HD (that means also Toshiba, Philips, Panasonic, JVC, LG and all others) are using anyway, whether it works out or not in the end...

The real question is what will happen to the PS3 when it tries to push a movie format that the market simply isn't ready to adopt yet, and doing so means the PS3 will be priced $200+ higher than it's competition.

What will happen is that people will see FF13, MGS4 and a whole plethora of other games and they'll have to decide whether they want to pay the extra cash for them, or go for the X360 or Wii. It's all down to us mortals. Personally, against all expectations, i won't be buying a PS3 any time soon after release.

Back