All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2019 Edition]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by TheAlSpark, Feb 4, 2019.

1. fehu

Veteran Regular

Someone has updates on the all digital experiment that was the Xbox SAD?

2. pharma

Veteran Regular

Xbox One was the UK's best selling console over Black Friday
    December 3, 2019
    https://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/137399-xbox-one-uks-best-selling-console-black-friday/

Shortbread likes this.
  3. Entropy

Veteran

Meantime, the Switch was the best selling console in the US for the same period with 830000 sold.

pharma, Shortbread and PSman1700 like this.
  4. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

We're seeing the drop that happens the year before a new generation launch. That obviously doesn't apply to nintendo who are in their mid-gen peak.

Shortbread likes this.
  5. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Switch is doing very well here too, really taking off. Never thought that would happen, excues or not.

6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Xbox SAD edition is at a pretty low price even here in Canada. I’m seeing reports that it is $150 US for Amazon. It is $199 CAD right now at Best Buy.
    Honestly at 7nm; perhaps they can get this device sub $100 by end of 2020. New form factor etc. That would be quite a win for them. The cheaper it can get the better for MS.
    Drop off XBO and X1X and keep SAD when Series X arrives.

7. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

8. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil my grapes.
    Veteran Newcomer

I'm going completely off memory here, but that PS+ subscriber number doesn't seem particularly high compared to 2 or 3 years ago when the total number of consoles sold was much lower.

I'm off to sleep now, so I'll attempt to remember to look it up tomorrow, but it seems as though the subscribers have stalled somewhat. Relative to the increase in install base, I think they've dropped.

Could Sony's piss poor PS+ showings finally be catching up with them? Or is it that the X1X has taken a lot of online players away?

9. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

They were 36M back in July 2019, and before that 34M in April 2018.

goonergaz and Pixel like this.
  10. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

But how? Thats assuming a significant portion of PS owners own an XBOX and prefer Gold instead of Plus. Which is unlikely that we have such a significant number. X has niche sales and small supplies and One S is an "inferior" product.
    It doesnt look like XBOX is the culprit.
    Still an interesting number. Around 36% only bought the ability to game online, with the probability that another unknown percentage games online only on titles that dont require Plus, like some f2p games or games like GTS and FF14. Do games like Rocket League and Fortnite also require Plus?

#429 Nesh, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  11. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil my grapes.
    Veteran Newcomer

I'll get into a discussion tomorrow, I need to stop procrastinating and get to sleep. Good night all.

12. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Heh now you quoted him with my text. What the hell is going on? :p

13. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Not sure WTF, but I think they're corrected now, at least in this thread.

14. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

[​IMG]

Nesh likes this.
  15. goonergaz

Veteran

There may have been some migration when There were all those amazing deals to get ultimate for 3 years at minimal cost.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  16. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It was around 50% of users earlier on. Definitely dropping.

The tie rate of 10.84 seems very high

As others say, XB1X has no impact unless people have swapped consoles, which would then mean either millions of consoles sat doing nothing or millions of consoles passed on to players who don't care for online play.

I think it reflects on the state of online gaming and a sense of less reason to go online. That, and/or Fortnite and Apex Legends don't require PS+. ;)

Xbox Live has 64 million MAUs as of a year ago, so good luck finding what proportion of console owners subscribe! ;) Also, you can get onto XBLive free by using Bing - I reckon I can accrue enough points from 3 minutes a day spamming searches to get 15,000 points every three months which is enough to pay for three months, and that's not taking advantage of any deals as AzBat etc. frequently can make use of. I think the the US it's even easier to get XBox Live for pretty much free.

17. Michellstar

Regular Newcomer

Fornite and Apex don´t require PS PLUS, just saying...

18. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I think this may be the case. The PS4 is selling to a lot to kids that play Fortnite like crazy.
    Plus on another anecdotal evidence, most of my friends dont play online They focus on the single player mode and once they finish they buy the next game.
    A very significant portion of system sellers or biggest hits have their meat in the single player.
    For those games that have a MP option, it is an option that many have not tried to know if its worth it since it is behind a pay wall.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

So, going by those numbers. PSVR is averaging ~132k per month. So sales have decreased a bit as they were selling ~143k per month through July 2018. That's still mostly flat, however, so it still remains a compelling niche accessory.

Better than I expected, honestly.

Regards,
    SB

#438 Silent_Buddha, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Shifty Geezer likes this.
  20. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Nah, it's gradually easing upwards. As somebody who is a fair whether PS+ subscriber, i.e. I only subscribe when I know I will be getting time to play, every time time I let my PS+ subscription lapse I get an survey request from Sony shortly after seeking feedback on why.

I think it's simply that this late in the console's lifetime, you're capturing the über casuals for whom gaming is very much a secondary (or even lower) priority to other interests. They're probably not playing many games full stop, let alone online games.

Tkumpathenurpahl and milk like this.
  21. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

If you have multiple users on a PS4 do they share the PS+ for online gaming? Because the MAU vs PS+ is weird to me.