All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

R&C being only on PS5 was more of a PR stunt by Sony so that they could claim that "we believe in generations" before turning around and making GoW, Horizon and GT7 all cross-gen. They could easily make R&C for PS4 if they wanted to with downgraded graphics. It was probably a smart move to make it PS5 only as it fooled most people on these forums even. :)

The dimension/world jumping probably would have been rough to do on a PS4, albeit you probably could have dropped that feature if you really wanted it on PS4.
Question is basically how long should a studio support last gen, if its just a monetary issue then I would say until you see more such a small number of sold units for the older SKU that it is not worth doing the work for it. I doubt there will be a critical mass of PS5 for a bunch of years.

I think with BC two years is about right. 2022 will be the year where studios target X|S & PS5 exclusively with more and more releases.

Zed is right that new adopters want games that take advantage of their new hardware. Finding the balance point where that brings in more profit than cross-platform is the tricky part. As the generation wears on it becomes more and more difficult to make a game that can compete and also be playable on the older hardware. While God of War Ragnarok will fly as being cross platform, especially since Sony can't make as many PS5s as they thought before COVID, the next God of War would be met with a bored sigh if it doesn't take the series to new heights on new hardware IMO.

2022 is where I think we start to see more next-gen only (Hellblade 2, for instance) and 2023 will break pretty hard with X1 and PS4 IMO. MS and Sony are likely at least 6 months behind schedule at this point.

Yes https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2207803/
Because if you choose to go crossplatform you have to make compromises thus the ps5 version would of been not as impressive, I know ppl say oh but the PC scales and it does, but how many crysis's do you see, i.e. games that can only run on high end PC's, bugger all.
I'm sure a lot of ppl brought it cause of the WOW graphics even if the core concept of the game doesnt appeal to them (thats why they didnt go for the 2016 one)

2077 still is technically the most impressive next gen title for a good reason.

Sold to customers numbers. But I wonder if they actually didn't ship less than PS4 during the same time-frame. Because PS5 sold-through are very likely the same as sold-in. And PS4 was at 10.4M sold-in in June 30th 2014. So this means they could be behind their schedule of producing more PS5 than PS4.

Interesting so pretty close to 1.54:1 in favor of PS5 worldwide. Probably a bit higher than that due to XBS-S sitting on shelves longer before selling, but probably closer to that than 2:1. I'm sure MS are pretty happy with that, as few of those will be people that only bought an Xbox for the exclusives as you can get those on PC.

It's not like there's any way to get this information, but it would have been interesting to see software attach rates for XBS compared to XBO since MS exclusives launching day and date on XBO didn't come until late in the generation. I suspect it's either higher or roughly equal (Game Pass potentially offsetting the effect of increased attach rate on XBS due to no need to buy an Xbox just for the exclusives).

Regards,
SB

That sounds fantastic. I'd be interested to know how Sony and Microsoft are planning their manufacturing, since XSX and PS5 are both difficult to find commercially. Are Sony making more machines or is it somewhat equal and the manufacturing of the XSS is hampering potential XSX sales?

I know it's a bit OT, it's just these types on numbers without context are difficult to make sense of what's happening.

Are Microsoft adjusting their manufacturing so that it's always slightly behind the relative sales, or simply that Sony are able to make more machines from their suppliers?

Zelda: Skyward Sword HD #1, PS5 Takes Dollar Sales Crown Back from XSX in July Per NPD
August 13, 2021
The NPD Group has released their full North American sales data for July 2021, and it was a good month for the industry, with players spending $4.6 billion on games, additional content, and hardware, representing a year-on-year increase of 10 percent. On the hardware front, the PS5 came out on top in terms of dollar sales (rebounding after coming second to Xbox Series X/S in June) while Switch was again #1 in total unit sales. Overall, it was the most lucrative July for video game hardware sales since the heyday of the Wii in 2008.

Here are July's top 20 games according to NPD:
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  3. Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  5. Minecraft
  6. Mario Golf: Super Rush
  7. MLB The Show 21
  8. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  10. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  11. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  12. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  13. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2)
  14. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury
  15. Mortal Kombat 11
  16. Neo: The World Ends with You
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  18. Pokémon Sword & Shield
  19. Resident Evil Village
  20. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
And here are the top-10 best-selling games of 2021 thus far:
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  2. MLB The Show 21
  3. Resident Evil Village
  4. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  5. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  6. Monster Hunter Rise
  7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  8. Minecraft
  9. Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Geez, it's not even the Holiday Season and Nintendo is just raking it in.

10 of the top 20 titles are NSW titles and even the multiplatform titles likely sell more on NSW than the other platforms. 8 of them are published by Nintendo as single SKU titles. One NSW title is published by Capcom and also appears on PC while another is a Square Enix title that appears on NSW, PC, and PS4.

[Not NPD related but interesting to me] NSW sales aren't slowing down so it still hasn't peaked. There's a chance, albeit small, that it'll surpass PS4 sales by the end of this year.

Something I didn't notice since I haven't had time to pay attention gaming news for a while was in June's NPD, the XBS consoles outsold PS5 in the US. That was also a record sales month for Xbox in terms of dollar sales (previous best was June 2011).

June 2021 NPD: Xbox and Switch outsell the competition | VentureBeat

Although it should be noted that PS5 is currently the fastest selling non-portable console in NPD (US) history for the first 8 months of a console's life.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Geez, it's not even the Holiday Season and Nintendo is just raking it in.

10 of the top 20 titles are NSW titles and even the multiplatform titles likely sell more on NSW than the other platforms. 8 of them are published by Nintendo as single SKU titles. One NSW title is published by Capcom and also appears on PC while another is a Square Enix title that appears on NSW, PC, and PS4.

Something I didn't notice since I haven't had time to pay attention gaming news for a while was in June's NPD, the XBS consoles outsold PS5 in the US. That was also a record sales month for Xbox in terms of dollar sales (previous best was June 2011).

June 2021 NPD: Xbox and Switch outsell the competition | VentureBeat

Although it should be noted that PS5 is currently the fastest selling non-portable console in NPD (US) history for the first 8 months of a console's life.

Regards,
SB
Their software is absolutely dominating the charts.. and iirc, they don't even include digital sales in their retail numbers. If they did, there'd probably be more Switch games in the top 20 than there is already.

Metroid Dread is coming and judging by purported pre-order numbers from GameStop, it's going to be absolutely massive for them.. along with more Pokemon and Mario goodness. Shin Megami Tensei V will do great numbers as well.

https://nintendoeverything.com/game...tch-game-pre-orders-over-the-last-two-months/

Back