NPD November 2021

I think MS would be content with 7nm S. 5nm is more expensive and chip redesign is not free. X on other hand would benefit from 5nm with smaller heatsink and lower power requirements.
5nm with series will get even more working chips per wafer with a small and low clock design it can be a huge win for microsoft

I think MS would be content with 7nm S. 5nm is more expensive and chip redesign is not free. X on other hand would benefit from 5nm with smaller heatsink and lower power requirements.

I think that moves it to a separate fabrication line than Series X. That enables more Series X to be made instead of serving double duty with with Series S.

I think that moves it to a separate fabrication line than Series X. That enables more Series X to be made instead of serving double duty with with Series S.
Yup, the price bracket of Series S needs to move down first (making Series S a better value for it's price) before Series X comes down. Moving S to 5nm will be cheaper and more effective in hitting the lower cost price points than trying to shift Series X down and keeping S held, virtually eliminating the value the S.

Yup, the price bracket of Series S needs to move down first (making Series S a better value for it's price) before Series X comes down. Moving S to 5nm will be cheaper and more effective in hitting the lower cost price points than trying to shift Series X down and keeping S held, virtually eliminating the value the S.

They will drop in lock step i'd wager unless they bring out a discless x.

My guess is a smaller series s will sell much better. Depending on the power savings and cooling it could be the guts of their streaming stick.

They will drop in lock step i'd wager unless they bring out a discless x.

My guess is a smaller series s will sell much better. Depending on the power savings and cooling it could be the guts of their streaming stick.
Where as I think a >512GB $300 would be more appealing than a straight price drop. 750 or 1TB

The biggest issues people seem to have with XSS is the storage, not price, power, etc

$300 is already pretty cheap for a console.
If PS5's gets a price cut then there would be a need to lower price.

Where as I think a >512GB $300 would be more appealing than a straight price drop. 750 or 1TB

The biggest issues people seem to have with XSS is the storage, not price, power, etc

$300 is already pretty cheap for a console.
If PS5's gets a price cut then there would be a need to lower price.

I believe Microsoft wants to get the series s to $200 as fast as possible. So while we might see a higher capacity ssd in it , that might not happen until after the $200 price target. I think what you will see as time goes on is that the external drives they sell will continue to drop in price. The 500 gig is $130 as time goes on and it hits sub $100 or even $75 and under the storage of the series s wont be as big of a deal.

I also beleive that the size of the consoles is more important than ever. Many people I know no longer have cable boxes or bluray players. most havea fire stick or chrome cast stick behind their tvs so they have a eally sleek looking set up. Some have fire cubes or or similar small devices. I think the smaller the console gets and the cheaper it gets the more it will take off.

Series S is a nice machine. So far it looks like it's working out for MS. I think even $250 is the lowest MS should cut the price to. It'll be good box for xcloud as well. Decrease the size, open it up for limited productivity apps and I think it could do exceedingly well. There's good availability at the moment so it could be in impulse purchase territory for some consumers.

Back