All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
80 million as of 2nd November, leaving all of November and December to sell more PS3's, the busiest two months for sales. The 3.4 million shipped figure doesn't represent replacements for these consoles but as much stock as the market wanted. So far more than 3.4 million PS3s could have been (and probably were) sold since November 2nd 2013. It could be that there were six million PS3's in the channels, 4 million were sold in the holiday period 2013, 3.4M were distributed in 2014 and finally all stock sold by the end of 2014 for a total of 87.4M units.

We literally don't know. Your maths doesn't work though as your missing the amount of stock in the channels.
The exact website that you quoted says has asterix next to 80million units and when you follow it to bottom of the page it says "sell in numbers" aka Shipped numbers. So regardless of how many units were in circulation they show that they shipped total of 83.4 million units(to the stores only numbers any of them can actually know accurately).

I'm sorry, but how is this so hard for you to understand...?

PS3 was at 80M as of November 2nd 2013, NOT as of December 31st!. I know this comes from Sony's own statement, but this was released on November 6th 2013. That does not include end of year results. So Sony didn't skip any months. You are doing it and whoever did the Wikipedia entry and seemingly don't understand it.

1. 3.4M 2014 sales don't include any sales from 2013

2. 80M up to November 2nd 2013, doesn't include any sales after November 2 2013.

still following me?

And therefore adding 3.4M and 80M does not give you sales at the end of 2014.

Sony released the end of year 2013 results only in February 2014 and at that time they didn't separate PS3 and PS4, those combined did 7.8M units.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/13q3_sonypre.pdf
(page 18 as printed in the pdf fiscal Q3)

Later on Sony started to separate the numbers again and also reactively to a degree. That's why we know that PS3 did 3.3M units in calendar Q4 2013

But how many of those were sold prior or after November 2nd is anyone's guess. It's fair to guess that quite a few of them were shipped after the cutout point though, so therefore the actual PS3 shipped figure at the end of 2014 is quite a bit more than the 83.4M you tossed around. I'd guess at least 2M more.
Ok sure very fair point, but that still doesn't put PS3 ahead of x360.
And that brings up another question in me is why da hell were they combining Ps2 and Ps3 numbers untill 2013?

If you're talking about launches aligned, then it's not really surprising considering the XB1 wasn't very supply constrained at launch. Both Sony and MS were well prepared for their respective launches.
Plus XB1 is coming off of a very successful X360, whereas X360 released after a lukewarm Xbox.

Fast-forward to today and I think XB1 is tracking slightly behind (or very close to) X360 if the 26-29M range is true.
Sure but seems like xbox 360 was released with no competition.

How do you figure that x1 is behin?

I read that after 3 years of sales x1 has sold 4 million more units than x360 did in 4 years? This would put x1 way ahead of x360, I know that success doesn't seem that good on the surface of it considering how well Ps4 is doing.

Which really makes me think why PS4 sold so much more and what pushed people away from buying as many xboxs? Can't really be the bad PR at launch, I mean people have internet to look it up. So seems to me that hardcore gamers have much more sway in console sales than many believe. After PS1 I refudes to buy anything Sony to this day! I refuse to support Japan economy considering they are extremely nationalist. And Sony killed competition and prevented GTA coming to xbox when it was something new I happen to get to check it out and then all the lies with PS3 and trojan backdoor on their media cds and trojans in their pcs (factory installed all) just made me to never again trust Sony ever and I'll hate them for life even if xbox didn't exist I'd rather play on Wii than PS3/4.

Sure but seems like xbox 360 was released with no competition.
No direct competition... PS2 was still selling extremely well in 2005-2008. Then PS3 launched in late 2006.
How do you figure that x1 is behin?

I read that after 3 years of sales x1 has sold 4 million more units than x360 did in 4 years? This would put x1 way ahead of x360, I know that success doesn't seem that good on the surface of it considering how well Ps4 is doing.
Huh? Where did you read this? MS shipped 28M X360s after ~3 years.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/28-million-xbox-360s-sold-17-million-on-xbox-live/1100-6202733/
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/821115988607401984
(note: the XB1 line is Zhuge's estimate)

A recent article estimates XB1 sales (sold-through) to be 26M, which is probably fairly close, if not a tad low. XB1 US sales have consistently been between 57-60% of WW sales based on estimates/forcasts done by people in the industry, and actual launch period sales figures, so it's a good way to get a ballpark number. US XB1 sales as of the end of 2016 were 15.85M, which would put the XB1 between 26.5-28.8M sold-through WW. So XB1 shipments are likely to be anywhere between 27-29M, or slightly lower or slightly higher than X360, and trending to fall behind. Zhuge's estimate of XB1 shipments looks to be ~28.5M.

Which really makes me think why PS4 sold so much more and what pushed people away from buying as many xboxs? Can't really be the bad PR at launch, I mean people have internet to look it up. So seems to me that hardcore gamers have much more sway in console sales than many believe. After PS1 I refudes to buy anything Sony to this day! I refuse to support Japan economy considering they are extremely nationalist. And Sony killed competition and prevented GTA coming to xbox when it was something new I happen to get to check it out and then all the lies with PS3 and trojan backdoor on their media cds and trojans in their pcs (factory installed all) just made me to never again trust Sony ever and I'll hate them for life even if xbox didn't exist I'd rather play on Wii than PS3/4.
Why did PS4 sell so much more? Like I said earlier in this thread, worldwide brand presence, price, MS' fuck ups, and superior hardware (in that order). It's no fluke that Sony has 2 of the top 3 best selling consoles of all time (and soon to be 3 with the PS4). Playstation is a name that is huge everywhere you go, whereas MS struggles in countries outside of the US/UK.

Sony is selling so many PS4s because they didn't fuck up like they did with the PS3. All of those PS fans came back because Sony made a very solid $400 box.

Last edited:
Sony is selling so many PS4s because they didn't fuck up like they did with the PS3. All of those PS fans came back because Sony made a very solid $400 box.

Yeah, a lot of it is reversion to the mean. It's simple. If you assume worldwide Sony is the stronger more entrenched brand:

PS3: $600 vs $400 competition, more difficult to program so consumers see most games actually worse off on it especially early, too boot. All that and to add insult to injury, it releases a year later allowing Xbox a headstart.
PS4: $400 vs Initially $500 Xbox competition, significantly more power this time, released at the same time, so you're getting essentially no downside to the lower price.

It's really that simple. PS3 put up a lot of obstacles to buying Sony. PS4 removed those and turned them into advantages.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1338131

FY2 earning call for Microsoft. 55 millions MAU up 15%. Digital transaction reach 1 billions.

But they sold less console than in 2015 probably because of the rest of the world out of US.

C3IEuBeXAAAQMb2.jpg

80 million as of 2nd November, leaving all of November and December to sell more PS3's, the busiest two months for sales. The 3.4 million shipped figure doesn't represent replacements for these consoles but as much stock as the market wanted. So far more than 3.4 million PS3s could have been (and probably were) sold since November 2nd 2013. It could be that there were six million PS3's in the channels, 4 million were sold in the holiday period 2013, 3.4M were distributed in 2014 and finally all stock sold by the end of 2014 for a total of 87.4M units.

We literally don't know. Your maths doesn't work though as your missing the amount of stock in the channels.

That's also too simple. As the channel will start to stuff itself in Sept. - Oct. to prepare for the holiday months. And they'll stop restocking the channel in Dec., unless the channel is empty or close to being empty. So, the 3.4 million shipped figure is likely to be front loaded in the first 1-2 months of the quarter depending on whether demand in Oct./Nov. was higher or lower than retailer's predicted. If demand was lower than retailer expectations that most of those units may have only shipped in the first month. If demand was as expected probably the first 2 months. If demand was greater than shipments may have bled into December as well.

I don't remember reading about shortages of PS3 in 2013, so there's also the possibility that many of the units shipped for the Holiday quarter ended up being sold in the next quarter instead.

As you said at the end, however. We literally don't know, and have no way of knowing without having access to Sony's internal numbers which is never going to happen.

At the end, the only truthful thing we can take out of it is that X360 and PS3 ended up selling roughly the same number of consoles.

Regards,
SB

As you said at the end, however. We literally don't know, and have no way of knowing without having access to Sony's internal numbers which is never going to happen.

But it's absurd to suggest someone couldn't take the available and existing data and surmize that the PS3 sold more.

The RE7 web site shows the global stats for users (right now at 910,000) and the rough attach rate of PSVR

http://www.roadtovr.com/resident-evil-7-played-vr-almost-10-players/
Thanks to daily global statistics provided by Capcom via its RE:7 website, it looks as if VR support is proving to be quite a hit. Stats provided for today are currently showing 9.52% (some 81,000 in all) of Resident Evil 7 players who agreed to share data with Capcom’s website, are bravely navigating the title inside PlayStation VR

I presume that registering to RE7.net is optional?

Also, it's important to note that PSVR is 9.5% of all RE7.net users, which includes those on PC and Xbox One.

But it's absurd to suggest someone couldn't take the available and existing data and surmize that the PS3 sold more.

You can't as you can easily make a case for X360 selling more. Just as you could make a case for PS3 selling more.

All of which requires making assumptions and then extrapolating numbers based on those assumptions. None of which is going to be remotely accurate, unless you consider throwing a dart at a dart board while wearing a blindfold as accurate.

Regards,
SB

I presume that registering to RE7.net is optional?

Also, it's important to note that PSVR is 9.5% of all RE7.net users, which includes those on PC and Xbox One.

It's 9.52% of RE7 users who have explicitly agreed to share their data with Capcom.

Either that or we assume that console + PC sales of RE7 is only a little over 800,000. Possible I suppose. Steam owners are at ~250k, so only ~550k sales on console? I'd still find that surprising considering how much I'm hearing that this is the best RE game released in a long long time.

Regards,
SB

You can't as you can easily make a case for X360 selling more. Just as you could make a case for PS3 selling more.

All of which requires making assumptions and then extrapolating numbers based on those assumptions. None of which is going to be remotely accurate, unless you consider throwing a dart at a dart board while wearing a blindfold as accurate.

Regards,
SB

I think you just proved my point.

I proved your point that there is no way to know which console sold more? And no way to even reasonably guess which sold more? :)

Regards,
SB

Just that it's close enough that the "winner" could be either. And if someone approaches with a bias (let's say, prefers Wikipedia over VGCharts) the numbers flip to one side.

So yes, people will believe one or the other based on the evidence including financial reports and the lack thereof. People will estimate based on available evidence and make an educated guess. Thinking that this is an impossibility is quite honestly kinda stupid.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q3_sony.pdf

Game & Network Services (G&NS)

Sales increased 5.2% year-on-year (a 15% increase on a constant currency basis) to 617.7 billion yen (5,325
million U.S. dollars). This increase was primarily due to an increase in PlayStation®4 (“PS4”) software sales
including sales through the network and the contribution of PlayStation®VR which was launched in October 2016,
partially offset by the impact of foreign exchange rates as well as the impact of a price reduction for PS4 hardware.

Operating income increased 9.9 billion yen year-on-year to 50.0 billion yen (431 million U.S. dollars). This
significant increase was primarily due to PS4 hardware cost reductions and the above-mentioned increase in PS4
software sales, partially offset by the effects of the price reduction for PS4 hardware. During the current quarter,
there was a 1.4 billion yen positive impact from foreign exchange rate fluctuations

Sony shipped 9,7 millions PS4/PS4 Pro a new record for a Playstation console(8,8 millions PS2). And they are now at 57,1 millions consoles shipped. They overshipped a little. Probably too much PS4 Slim and not enough PS4 Pro.

yPXa3jn.png

57.1 million total shipped through Dec 16. They said what, 53.4 sold through Dec? So the rest is slack in the channel.

The world ship:USA NPD sales ratio was a little high this Q, 3.34:1.

So they're still planning to hit 20 mil and should. Only lack 2.9 for Jan-March quarter.

Well, last Q4 FY 15 they shipped 2.3. But I'm assuming they can hit 2.9 since it's still their forecast

I have PS4 at 17.532 million sold NPD through Dec. It puts the cumulative WW ship:US NPD at 3.26. Trending a little higher than PS3, maybe. I didn't keep up exactly with PS3 ratio toward the end.

I have XBO at ~<16m NPD so maybe 31-32 million shipped probably using 2:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back