All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly, PS2 sales went crazy when it went down to 199 and then 159 and then further discounts, thanks to slim versions and of course a very delayed PS3 launch.

If I remember correctly, PS2 sales went crazy when it went down to 199 and then 159 and then further discounts, thanks to slim versions and of course a very delayed PS3 launch.

At the end the PS2 was 99 and it was popular in developing countries...... PS4 will never reach this price point maybe 159 and discounted by retail 129...

At the end the PS2 was 99 and it was popular in developing countries...... PS4 will never reach this price point maybe 159 and discounted by retail 129...

How about adjusted for inflation? If their PS Now plans are moving forward they have to be shrinking the hell out of the design. I'd love to see ~$99 devices again.

Not happening due slowed down die shrinks, HDD requirement and high flash prices for a long time.
We will be on 14nm/"10nm" for a very long time.
Intel has a lot of troubles with 10nm.

I am not sure the price will be 159 one day. I hope they can go sub 199.

I think they will hit 60M by the end of FY. They probably have 2 million PS4s in stores now, and game catalogue is strong in the quarter. Europe will finally get supply of PSVRs and Pro avaiability will get better. They could even start offering good Pro bundles.

I still think that some sort of "upgrade PS4 pro program" with no HDD so that existing owners could in theory just take theirs from their original PS4 and slot it in the new Pro would be nice. Yes we'd have to download everything again but that would probably take a good 50-80 quid off the Pro price.

Then again if I think about it seriously, that's a pretty shit idea.

I still think that some sort of "upgrade PS4 pro program" with no HDD so that existing owners could in theory just take theirs from their original PS4 and slot it in the new Pro would be nice. Yes we'd have to download everything again but that would probably take a good 50-80 quid off the Pro price.
I sold my launch PS4 to Music Magpie for £130. I could have got more with a private sale but I sell so much low value crap to MM, it was easy just to throw that in as well.

Nice compilation from a gaffer of PS4 sales. I'm assuming these are all the numbers from Sony PR.
Originally Posted by cheesekao

Lifetime worldwide hardware sell-through
2.1M (as of December 1, 2013)
4.2M (as of December 28, 2013)
5.3M (as of February 8, 2014)
6.0M (as of March 2, 2014)
7.0M (as of April 6, 2014)
10.0M (as of August 10, 2014)
14.4M (as of November 22, 2014)
18.5M (as of January 4, 2015)
20.2M (as of March 1, 2015)
30.2M (as of November 22, 2015)
35.9M (as of January 3, 2016)
40.0M (as of May 22, 2016)
50.0M (as of December 6, 2016)
53.4M (as of January 1, 2017)

Pricing cheaper than PS4 won't make XB1S more desirable than it presently is. Not unless MS dump the systems at $100+ cheaper than PS4 (which still might not win them anything in RoW as it'd just be seen as a fire-sale of a dying system).

Scorpio wrestling all high-end buyers away from PS4P (managing to convince PS4 owners to change platform and lose all their PS4 library) will mean all of what? 10% market share? 20%? The high end is a small part of the total market.

So yeah, we can assume Sony will stay on top. It's exactly as DSoup describes it. There's nothing MS can do to change their position short of tapping in to a new audience; tens of millions of would-be high-end console gamers who presently don't own a console and have no interest in buying a <$300 console nor a <$400 PS4Pro but will buy a $400+ console when Scorpio appears. Just as PS4 Pro not winning the sales race was predicted using Business Savvy by a good number of members on this board, so to is MS not getting to outsell Sony this generation.

I suppose, to be fair, MS could have a machine in Scorpio that's so desirable every XB1 owner buys it, thus doubling their install base very quickly. 4Pro has failed to ignite the current fanbase into rapid upgrading.
Sorry for replying to this so late, but I see no one making this point.

Where did Sony PS4 sales lead come from? If they could do it why couldn't MS? Plenty of people who bought PS4 owned Xbox360 and left bunch of their xbox library there. Reason why PS4 sold so well has been 90% of the time that it outperformed xbox in multiplats and those people want "best, most powerfull" console even though visually no noticable difference. Xbox360 and ps3 ended up with like 90million vs 85million consoles sold and all of a sudden PS4 has 70 mill and xbox 40mil, where did other 65 million go?

There's plenty of people who still have not moved from their older gens, but what MS ks doing will take away lots of Sony userbase aswell as PC userbase due to having PC like performance at 1/3 the price of PC

Sorry for replying to this so late, but I see no one making this point.

Where did Sony PS4 sales lead come from? If they could do it why couldn't MS? Plenty of people who bought PS4 owned Xbox360 and left bunch of their xbox library there. Reason why PS4 sold so well has been 90% of the time that it outperformed xbox in multiplats and those people want "best, most powerfull" console even though visually no noticable difference. Xbox360 and ps3 ended up with like 90million vs 85million consoles sold and all of a sudden PS4 has 70 mill and xbox 40mil, where did other 65 million go?

There's plenty of people who still have not moved from their older gens, but what MS ks doing will take away lots of Sony userbase aswell as PC userbase due to having PC like performance at 1/3 the price of PC

Microsoft only has two markets, UK and the US. Thats why last generation despite releasing a year later at a more expensive price, Sony in the end still managed to tie up with Xbox 360

Last generation was also physical discs, you could sell your games and switch to a different console. But now a lot more people are buying digital discs so leaving the ecosystem is a harder sell

We dont know if PS4 was successful because it was more powerful. Why didnt the original Xbox dominate sales then? Why didnt 3DO? PS4 was more powerful but also 100 dollars cheaper

Microsoft only has two markets, UK and the US. Thats why last generation despite releasing a year later at a more expensive price, Sony in the end still managed to tie up with Xbox 360

Last generation was also physical discs, you could sell your games and switch to a different console. But now a lot more people are buying digital discs so leaving the ecosystem is a harder sell

We dont know if PS4 was successful because it was more powerful. Why didnt the original Xbox dominate sales then? Why didnt 3DO? PS4 was more powerful but also 100 dollars cheaper
MS might only have two markets but those two markets are equal to all the rest of the markets and why xbox360 despite being a new comer and not having bluray managed to outsell PS3 by few million in the end. Lets not forget how many people bough PS3 for being the cheapest bluray player aswell. Ohh and lets not forget that those two markets are markets that move majority of software sales aswell

I didn't know a single person who owned xbox360 and didn't invest into arcade games which were mostly digital only.

Original xbox released when PS2 already had like 50 million consoles sold, it was new, and internet was not as widespread as is now where every single game is disected how it plays on what system.

PS4 was cheaper for only like 6-7 months total. Everywhere you went first thing you heard was ppl saying how PS4 is more powerfull and runs games better even from ppl who had no clue what that means they just heard it somewhere and must have best for about same price.

MS might only have two markets but those two markets are equal to all the rest of the markets and why xbox360 despite being a new comer and not having bluray managed to outsell PS3 by few million in the end. Lets not forget how many people bough PS3 for being the cheapest bluray player aswell. Ohh and lets not forget that those two markets are markets that move majority of software sales aswell

Last time i checked PS3 sales worldwide overtook the Xbox 360 in 2013. If you have new numbers then feel free to share. And no those two markets are not equal to all the rest, you seem to be stuck in 2006 still. China is a larger market, many countries are developing a strong middle class economy. I hope Microsoft does not share your arrogant view

I didn't know a single person who owned xbox360 and didn't invest into arcade games which were mostly digital only.

Really? Comparing arcade games with actual AAA games? Thats a nice spin

Original xbox released when PS2 already had like 50 million consoles sold, it was new, and internet was not as widespread as is now where every single game is disected how it plays on what system.

And PS4 will have more than 60 million consoles sold when Scorpio launches

PS4 was cheaper for only like 6-7 months total. Everywhere you went first thing you heard was ppl saying how PS4 is more powerfull and runs games better even from ppl who had no clue what that means they just heard it somewhere and must have best for about same price.

If price is irrelevant and power is all that matters then why has the XB1S finally started to being competitive and even winning some months in the US? Why did PS4 start winning again after a 50 dollar price cut?

If price is irrelevant and power is all that matters then why has the XB1S finally started to being competitive and even winning some months in the US? Why did PS4 start winning again after a 50 dollar price cut?

It's got to be more powerful... it plays 4k uhd blue ray.

I would guess the majority of buyers don't know what a tf is so it can be both more and less powerful as far as sales go.

Brick and Mortar retail store cross promotions where they pimp out Xbox One S as the 4K UHD BluRay player to get, and how it will make that new 4K TV really shine. I would say the majority of consumers are value conscious where lowest price isn't the absolute riding factor. Once Sony increased the pack-in game quality and dropped the PS4 price a bit then the overall value started drawing even.

However, this entire discussion is entirely off-topic and best to be had over here, or some other thread: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...mors-and-sales-anectdotes-2017-edition.59833/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back